Author Topic: Are the Circinians the Ron Swansons of Battletech?  (Read 3322 times)

Alan Grant

• Captain
Are the Circinians the Ron Swansons of Battletech?
« on: 31 July 2021, 09:12:33 »
The question is in the subject line. Ron Swanson, an independent minded capitalist loving character from the TV series Parks and Recreation.

As a Battletech character, would he be a Circinian?

And vice versa, would you say that the Circinians have a culture and value system akin to his?

Just curious... the thought occurred to me and I found it amusing and interesting. But then I wondered if it was accurate.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Are the Circinians the Ron Swansons of Battletech?
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2021, 15:42:40 »
I think we're comparing apples and oranges.  He'd fit in among the Lyrans, Davions, Canopians, FWL, and Taurans. 

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2021, 16:14:34 »
The Circinians strike me more as "If it's not nailed down take it; if it's nailed down, give it a kick" types. Not that I have a problem with that.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2021, 18:05:32 »
Ron is more Taurian or Mica Majority.
"This is why the same true fighting will never employ ornate, showy, or wide patterns, [nor will it include] exaggerated moves which are useful only for the entertainment of spectators."

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #4 on: 01 August 2021, 00:18:47 »

No, not at least as I wrote them for FM: Periphery.  The Circinians are a slave-owning, false-flag raiding, mafia family.  They are among the most professional of the bandit kingdom scum.

Ron Swanson may be eccentric and chauvinist, but at his core, he’s a straightforward, stand-up guy.  The Circinians are neither and usually the opposite.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 01 August 2021, 06:39:33 »
That's interesting because I got a very different vibe about them from Handbook: Major Periphery States.

It made them sound like the people living in a wild west culture (particularly in its justice system) with tacked on blood sports and gambling as the caveat to that image as the primary source of entertainment. Yeah con games and gambling aren't really a Ron Swanson thing, but the "tough-as-nails" and "you don't mess with us" independent to a fault streak fits. Alongside the rotgut alcohol and the interesting folk music.

So when I read that book they come across as extremely straight-forward, like to a bizarre "eye for an eye" extreme. A people that utterly refuse to be bullied or controlled. To the extent that the criminal underworld can get away with it, it's things like con games, rather than violence, because the locals will just respond to threats of violence with actual violence. Also the "townsfolk" are usually right and the smallish government just leaves them alone.

The image you get is a Circinian sitting on his front porch with three weapons within reach, playing a musical instrument, with a jug of rotgut liquor nearby. Trespassers get one warning shot if they are lucky.

Reading that book I don't get a mafia vibe, or a duplicitous vibe outside of what the Black Warriors do.

So I guess I'm saying there feels like a disconnect between FM: Periphery and Handbook: Major Periphery States. At least to me.
« Last Edit: 01 August 2021, 06:42:43 by Alan Grant »

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 01 August 2021, 07:46:03 »
You're better off putting Ron in the Concordat.

Sharkapult

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 01 August 2021, 09:53:56 »
Alongside the rotgut alcohol

Single malt Scotch is not rotgut alcohol. Them's fighting words.  ;D
I've always loved the Circinians. Rogue armies, evil empires hiding in plain sight, pirates and privateers, and bloodthirsty leaders.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #8 on: 01 August 2021, 10:34:15 »
*snip*
So I guess I'm saying there feels like a disconnect between FM: Periphery and Handbook: Major Periphery States. At least to me.
There are many disconnects in the game universe.  I chalk most of them up to unreliable narrators.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #9 on: 01 August 2021, 11:53:53 »
There are many disconnects in the game universe.  I chalk most of them up to unreliable narrators.

Soo...... Morgan Freeman narrated some of the older Field Manuals... and Polly Shore narrated one (or two)?
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #10 on: 01 August 2021, 12:16:35 »
Worse...

Comstar. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #11 on: 02 August 2021, 00:55:38 »
It made them sound like the people living in a wild west culture

That’s newer canon and folks should obviously pick and choose as they want.  But I’d argue that the frontier backdrop in HB:P goes against other sources.  Various maps and timelines show that the Circinian worlds had been around since the Rim Worlds Republic.  The SLDF used state-of-the-art military training facilities to organize 17 volunteer regiments on those worlds during the Amaris crisis.  And the cover of J:FR depicts a downtown metropolis on Circinus.  They’re not New Avalon, but neither are the Circinian worlds undeveloped, frontier planets.

As written in FM:P, what frontier remained on these worlds during the Succession Wars was economically exploited through a system of indentured servitude that developed into outright slavery over time.  The model would be closer to the pre-Civil War US South than the US Wild West.

Frontier worlds would be the nearby Lothian League, where the population literally makes its bones hunting and trapping.  Lots of Ron Swansons there.

Reading that book I don't get a mafia vibe, or a duplicitous vibe outside of what the Black Warriors do.

The Black Warriors are state-sanctioned pirates operating under false flags to maintain the government’s deniability.  The were a model and trainers for the Shadow Divisions.  Duplicity and organized crime is arguably inherent to the state, if not the society.  Slavery is inherent to both, at least according to FM:P.  Dunno why these elements were dropped in HB:P, especially when they were important to the evolution of the Blakists in the run-up to the Jihad and especially when other realms (Lothian League, Mica Majority, etc.) have had the Wild West frontier backdrop from the get-go.

I think you’re absolutely right.  You just gotta decide what appeals more.  And if in conflict, newer canon trumps older.
« Last Edit: 09 September 2021, 11:17:22 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #12 on: 09 September 2021, 09:33:43 »
Ron is more Taurian or Mica Majority.

I can definitely buy the Taurians with the whole 'Leave me TF alone.'
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #13 on: 09 September 2021, 09:40:15 »
The image you get is a Circinian sitting on his front porch with three weapons within reach, playing a musical instrument, with a jug of rotgut liquor nearby. Trespassers get one warning shot if they are lucky.

May as well say banjo since that was the stereotype you were going for . . . but when at home, 3 weapons in reach is a good standard to hold.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Gribbly

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 09 September 2021, 10:39:33 »
I can definitely buy the Taurians with the whole 'Leave me TF alone.'

Taurians are fairly big on government services, although they completely exclude some professions from taxation. Although I guess Ron did in fact work for local government despite opposing it.

There are a few unnecessary and jarring little inconsistencies that shouldn't have made it through fact checking.

The Capellans providing medical technology to Canopus during Xin Sheng, for example. That just felt like the writer was completely unfamiliar with the Magistracy. The removal of any mention of North American and British influences in the Duchy of Oriente was another odd one.
« Last Edit: 09 September 2021, 11:07:46 by Gribbly »

Gribbly

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 09 September 2021, 11:05:28 »
Sorry, double post.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #16 on: 09 September 2021, 11:15:37 »
The Capellans providing medical technology to Canopus during Xin Sheng, for example. That just felt like the writer was completely unfamiliar with the Magistracy.

I think this is based on some lines in Double Blind . . . but the question does come down to the Capellans having a better chance of picking up knowledge from the Helm core than the Canopians.  Specifically the only medical tech I can think of is how the Capellans were augmenting individuals with myomer for spec forces.  Plus in the late 3050s, the Capellans have also sent a few forays against the Clans which had better medical tech than the IS.

So yeah, they probably had some medical tech the Canopians did not, even if their medical tech base was superior to other periphery states.
Colt Ward

Gribbly

• Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 09 September 2021, 12:26:12 »
Specifically the only medical tech I can think of is how the Capellans were augmenting individuals with myomer for spec forces. 

Canopus had some myomer options and prosthetics independently of the Capellans (not the chameleon stuff though). I thought the implants available in the Confederation were primarily due to the Thuggee Phansigars?

So yeah, they probably had some medical tech the Canopians did not, even if their medical tech base was superior to other periphery states.

You can certainly rationalise it that way, but I doubt the original writer gave it as much thought as your reply. Magistracy medical technology was superior to the majority of the Inner Sphere outside of core worlds, not just the Periphery. That's part of the subtext throughout the lore that puts the lie to anti-Periphery prejudice in the Successor States.

It feels equivalent to writing 'the Outworlds Alliance imported aerospace fighter instructors from the Draconis Combine'  ;D

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #18 on: 09 September 2021, 14:06:24 »
Taurians are defined in some aspects as an European style welfare state. They are isolationist towards the fedsuns, but quite far from rednecks.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 09 September 2021, 17:05:07 »
Well, a "European style welfare state" with nukes they were willing to USE, at any rate...  >:D

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #20 on: 09 September 2021, 17:23:59 »
One thing does not invalidate the other :P
Keep off our lawn is different from being a redneck that does not believe in government.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #21 on: 09 September 2021, 17:49:48 »
I didn't mean to imply they were mutually exclusive, just that both characteristics in a single state is an amusing combination...  O:-)