Author Topic: Clan naval marines as part of the crew?  (Read 814 times)

Alan Grant

• Captain
Clan naval marines as part of the crew?
« on: 27 November 2022, 18:04:25 »
TRO 3085's infantry section gave us naval marines, both ComStar and Clan. The Clan version is Snow Ravens drawn from all branches of the warrior caste.

I'm wondering how you think this would be applied on warships that do not have separate birthing for marines not listed on the warship's TRO. Do you think they would add some infantry bays for them?

Or do you think some portion of the officers/warriors and crew would be marines?

The latter never really occurred to me until I saw a reference that the Royal Navy employed its onboard marines to man turrets. During the Battle of the River Plate HMS Exeter had its marines manning B Turret and several died in that action. They had separate marine duties of course, they were organized as an onboard marine detachment. But in action, they manned a turret.

BT ships, dropships, warships, tend to have a sizable number of gunners. I always imagined they had many other duties when the ship was not in action. I'm starting to wonder if this could be one of them.

Thoughts?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Clan naval marines as part of the crew?
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2022, 12:26:27 »
Could be, it would keep with the 'warrior has the weapon' Clan mentality.  For instance, we know that Clan Elemental Marines were assigned to the jumpships traveling the Exodus Road to oversee security.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."