Author Topic: Looking for ever known variant from before May 3052.  (Read 933 times)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Looking for ever known variant from before May 3052.
« on: 21 September 2023, 22:39:47 »
Do we have every known variant for the Clans circa Tukayyid?

This also means Customs that use the same tech, circa 3052, even if it's later canon.

Reason is I would like to get a listing of every single unit.

Wolf Dragoons are Clan, so anything from them.
Any IIC or Royal / Klondike / in-Exile
Every unit listed, Clan Name with Variant Letter / Number

MUL does not have everything. And it's hard to tell what from who as listed.

Not looking for Faction Specifics, just a straight listed variant.

Thank you,
TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Re: Looking for ever known variant from before May 3052.
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2023, 23:57:44 »
if the MUL does not indeed have everything, we welcome canon citations that demonstrate the gaps.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 22 September 2023, 12:46:13 »
if the MUL does not indeed have everything, we welcome canon citations that demonstrate the gaps.

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Blog/Details/110

Should wait I think...

Reason being, we were told that any Omni could be outfitted to a Clan's or MechWarrior preferences, based off mission or available kits.

In 3025, there are 10 Dire Wolf official variants, be it later or earlier, all clantech.

Prime
A
B
Hohiro
Lone Wolf
Prometheus
S
W
Widowmaker
Widowmaker LRM

The above all use clantech, can be used in official play, are not a "Custom" variant, unless you're saying Omnitech is "custom".

Just because they were specifically created for a particular person, and used 3052 era tech, does not matter. It should be available to all, no matter the variables. Look at how long it took the Kit Fox -V to appear, recently added too. But it had been retcon'd as always there. You can't pick and play based off of old ideas.

I hope TPTB and MUL have considered this, even when it comes from newer books. If it uses 3052 or before tech, it should be recognized as such.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2023, 14:43:18 »
Direct us to the canon source in the feedback thread that says the unique variants are widely used and we’ll gladly take that into consideration. Inferences (more people probably use this) are not evidence (there is a source demonstrating such use).

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 22 September 2023, 16:02:06 »
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/OmniMech#Advantages

Is the closest I can get.

Paraphrasing ( bold ) " customize their machine's weapon loadout to suit their own skills and preference, and to suit specific tactical or environmental needs as required "

That quote is what I am saying, who knows what 3050 tech is standard issued. The ones I mentioned are, and could be, preferences.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2023, 17:01:19 »
we're aware of that bit. it doesn't meet the threshold. the Widowmaker has been universalized thanks to its inclusion in the RATs found in both FM Crusader and Warden Clans.

what that line *should* do is liberate players to do what they want with omnis in their own games.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2023, 18:01:32 »
The one thing that I personally do, is that if the MUL has a variant from an era different than the tech it uses, I will make the argument that it should be allowed in the game as a "cannon-custom".

What I mean by that is, for example:

The WarHammer-6Rb is an OG SLDF Royals unit that went to regular SLDF but is extinct come 3050.

But its got nothing but DHS, Ferro, & Artemis who is to say some warrior in 3048 didn't create a custom that just so happens to match something from 200 years ago.

OR

Reverse that, who's to say that someone in 3048 didn't create a Dervish-6Mr from the Jihad that just uses MPL & DHS 25 years early as a "custom".

So I'll allow things like that in a different era if the tech matches.

Uniques to me don't really need to be ALL but they should be open to a GM call to allow it as a custom option.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2023, 18:31:36 »
Then there should be a note about not all variants made it in the MUL criteria, with sn explanation of said criteria.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2023, 18:34:47 »
All variants should be in the MUL. Missing configs can be reported with their reference in the feedback thread

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #9 on: 22 September 2023, 18:47:22 »
At the end of the day, canon is useful for people who wish to use it, and doesn't stop anyone from choosing not to fully or partially. What goes on your table is great, as long as it works for you and the people you play with.

Conversely, there's nowt wrong with choosing to use canon availability for a purpose. I like building canon-friendly mini units, because it pleases me to work within. I will occasionally field something not in the faction/era I'm working in, and often evolve 'head-canon' reasons - like Hellraiser's example. (Currently working on a Jihad-era unit for the Black Heart Roses, who are scavenging magpies like Snord, but more tasteless. How did they get one of the few Defiance DFC-3Cs kept on Hesperus for testing? That's a tale ...)

The only problem occurs when people force their opinions on others. Consensual gaming, folks - always practice safe hex!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #10 on: 23 September 2023, 11:45:27 »
I will occasionally field something not in the faction/era I'm working in, and often evolve 'head-canon' reasons - like Hellraiser's example.

I see it as a way to expand the canon selection a bit but also allow for something "different" w/o actually opening up full on custom designing to a game that wants to use cannon RS only.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo