Author Topic: Hell’s Arbitrators  (Read 1951 times)

Akamia

• Captain
  • No challenge too great!
Hell’s Arbitrators
« on: 15 June 2021, 21:32:17 »
Decided I’d try my hand at importing my HBSTech campaign merc unit to the larger BTU, and that means drafting a TO&E of my own for these guys.

As everyone who’s played the game’s campaign knows, the campaign starts you in a lance of three mediums and a light, with a backup light and MechWarrior in the Leopard if someone (probably Dekker) gets killed in action. So the game starts you something like this:

Markham’s/<Player Character>‘s Marauders
  • XO Darius Oliveira (no rank given)
  • BattleMech Lance
    • BJ-1 Blackjack – <Insert name here> (no rank given; presumably Commander or Colonel)
    • SHD-2H Shadow Hawk – Miranda Aguilera (“Behemoth”, no rank given)
    • VND-1R Vindicator – Jessica Chernovskaya (“Glitch”, no rank given)
    • SDR-5V Spider – Amir Kowalski (“Dekker”, no rank given)
    • LCT-1V Locust – Mohammed Benitez (“Medusa”, no rank given)
  • Chief Technician Yang Virtanen (no rank given)
  • Navigator Sumire Meyer (no rank given)

After the war that restored the Aurigan Coalition, which is a canon event and polity as of House Arano (The Aurigan Coalition), the unit starts looking very different as new MechWarriors join up and new ‘Mechs and other equipment are purchased and/or salvaged. A lot of the unit here is apocrypha, but the aforementioned sourcebook does mention some MechWarriors who were members of the canon version of the unit (in-game, they’re exclusive to skirmish mode to my knowledge), who presumably retained the name “Markham’s Marauders”, and of the characters listed here, Darius is the only one who has been canonized.

But what if… the Marauders rebranded, and had been rebranded for quite some time during the war?

What if they grew to a greater strength? Purchased an extra Leopard DropShip or two, or replaced their Argo and Leopard both with a more traditional Union or other similarly-sized vessel that can carry a company’s worth of BattleMechs or more and the personnel to maintain and/or operate them?

What if they instead branched into combined arms warfare, including aerospace and more traditional ground forces in their ranks for those contracts where BattleMechs alone simply will not cut it?

I can’t pretend to truly know the canon availability of these things; I’m relatively new to this side of the verse. ;D But it’s a collection of ideas that’s been bouncing around in my head for some time, and this is extrapolating from apocryphal material in a region that, as I understand it, was actually quite low on BattleMech assets in canon at the time. I tend to go against a lot of habits that I’ve noticed people have, at least if they’re playing the video games mostly; my player character will typically drop in a JR7-D Jenner while everyone else is in heavier ‘Mechs, and I generally try to avoid deploying assault ‘Mechs en masse, preferring ‘Mechs in the medium and heavy range. As I develop this unit for different time periods, those habits might be reflected in how everyone’s set up. Of course, by the time of ilClan, my player character, who would very likely be demoted to NPC in the context I plan to be using this unit tabletop-side, might not even be alive anymore… But Dekker might be.

I’ll need to open the game again to pull names and ‘Mechs to base my TO&E on for the Succession Wars and early Clan Invasion periods… I’d imagine they’d be barely recognizable by ilClan, though. ;D And probably pretty weak. Lots of rebuilding to be done! Or they get destroyed and disband. Depends on how my table interacts with them.
Let's all go to Cargonia, land of stolen things
Obey the quartermaster unless he is a 'ling
Cargo techs guard the station and find more stuff to take
But the boss is never satisfied until the station breaks...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Hell’s Arbitrators
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2021, 16:59:58 »
Don't forget the support assets.  At a minimum, you're looking at a squad per 'mech (every 'mech, tank, ASF, etc.) needs one Tech and six AsTechs.  Personally, I like to just buy foot infantry, and use the troopers as AsTechs (leaving the squad leaders and up to be professional infantry' i.e., hiring the Techs separately).  A Medical Team is five, but will probably take care of your purse Admin requirements.

Akamia

• Captain
  • No challenge too great!
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2021, 17:58:58 »
Of course. The video games typically gloss over that kind of staff, and HBSTech was no exception; Yang is your representative technician, with vague-at-best implications that there’s more (as?)techs working under him. ;D I don’t recall the game even putting names to your medical staff, but there’s no question they exist.

I aim to be more thorough. ;)
« Last Edit: 16 June 2021, 18:01:13 by Akamia »
Let's all go to Cargonia, land of stolen things
Obey the quartermaster unless he is a 'ling
Cargo techs guard the station and find more stuff to take
But the boss is never satisfied until the station breaks...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 16 June 2021, 18:07:18 »
Glad to hear it!  NPCs are people too!  :thumbsup:

Register