Author Topic: Web Only Previews  (Read 23166 times)

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
Re: Web Only Previews
« Reply #90 on: 18 March 2015, 08:57:17 »
Hope we will see what tools you use and how you operate. The feature on the Pulverizer had no images that show how the actual work is done.
Tools: Dentist tools, clay shapers, needles, toothpicks, files, knives, ... whatever works.
How to operate them: Carve, press, file, shape, push, drill, ... whatever works.

As with painting there are many ways to get specific results. To get a panel line on a flat piece of Green Stuff you could press the line into the putty while the putty is still soft, carve it out of the putty once it is cured, ...

A common method to get mechanical shapes like Mechs is to roughly shape the putty (using your fingers or clay shapers or whatever tool works for you) while it is soft, the, after the putty is cured, file, sand, carve, the shapes and angles you want, using the appropriate tools. To add detail, more layers of putty are added. But this is not the only way. As with painting, different sculptors have different ways to achieve similar results. As with painting, a lot is try/error and experience.

Basically, when not doing CAD work on a computer, you have a set of materials (two part epoxy like Green Stuff being the most common) and use whatever tools work for you to manipulate the putty/materials to take the desired shape. Work is usually done inside to outside.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #91 on: 18 March 2015, 18:25:27 »
As a side note, it's important to work with metal and hard-curing resin putties because of the process by which mini moulds are made.

The "master" figure is pressed into disks of molten silicone compounds, and then put under pressure to make sure the silicone squeezes into all the gaps, panel lines, barrel tips, etc. If - like me - you made your mini, the "master", using balsa wood and plastic tubing, it's about this time it collapses/bursts into flame/melts/all of the above.

One consequence of this process is that once the pressure's removed and the master taken out, the void in the mould may be slightly smaller than the original master. This is known as "the squeeze". It's unpredicable, sometimes affecting all three dimensions more or less equally, and sometimes only one (eg. thickness). Sometimes it doesn't happen at all, and the mini ends up slightly larger than expected. The problem is the whole mastering process consumes time & money as well, so the makers can't automatically just throw the mould out & start again unless the result is considered "that bad".

Note that "the squeeze" remains an issue for spin-cast minis, whether masters are made by hand, digitally, or gnawed out of sandstone by trained beavers.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #92 on: 18 March 2015, 20:40:15 »
Chew the rock?  Damned if I will!

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #93 on: 19 March 2015, 00:33:31 »
Wow, I already thought that this is the way minis are done but I was so insecure about it. Thats pretty the work I have done for years as a dental technician, isn´t it. Maybe I should get my stuff together and try to do it myself then ::). Would be a hell of a challenge, but it could be fun. Haven´t done this work since 12 years.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #94 on: 19 March 2015, 16:00:02 »
Domi, I think it's safe to say most of us who kitbash would lust after the array of tools, picks, compounds, and drills available in your day job O0
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #95 on: 19 March 2015, 18:14:09 »
Self Censored...

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #96 on: 20 March 2015, 07:11:33 »
Domi, I think it's safe to say most of us who kitbash would lust after the array of tools, picks, compounds, and drills available in your day job O0

I didn´t use anything that you couldn´t buy. Maybe you have to ask your local dentist to order something for you if you need for example a ModellVibrator or Alginate. most tools can be ordered via Dentists. They arent cheap. A hook probe costs about 18€, but its prime quality and almost indestructible. Dental tools are superb to work with. Especially if you work with green stuff or Fimo.

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #97 on: 20 March 2015, 21:14:55 »
Oh, for those of you interested in the methods to my madness, check out this thread!
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/iron-wind-metals-news-and-announcements/making-of-a-miniature/

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #98 on: 22 March 2015, 05:54:42 »
Thats quite interesting. but I am more interested into the way the "manual" guys do it. Although I like the new 3D printed minis best. It would be nice if IWM could print a mark on the blisters when they get shipped, so people could see how their mini was casted.

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #99 on: 22 March 2015, 07:13:14 »
Thats quite interesting. but I am more interested into the way the "manual" guys do it. Although I like the new 3D printed minis best. It would be nice if IWM could print a mark on the blisters when they get shipped, so people could see how their mini was casted.

When they are caste and shipped for the consumer they are casted the same. The biggest difference between hand sculpted and 3D CAD / printed is the master stage of mold making. If it's CAD, then it's a 3D printed master that is used for the master. While hand sculpted master is what is turned in by the sculpter. There could be some other differences but that is the biggest.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #100 on: 29 March 2015, 20:40:06 »
Here is a little more on the whole mold/casting etc. I just wish I could find something like what you are asking for... http://www.purplepawn.com/2010/03/the-convoluted-story-of-iron-wind-metals-ral-partha-and-battletech-miniatures/

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #101 on: 31 March 2015, 08:46:53 »
Wish there was article like that showing what it's like today.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki