Author Topic: AToW Character Generation Spreadsheet (Redux)  (Read 46151 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: AToW Character Generation Spreadsheet (Redux)
« Reply #30 on: 04 February 2019, 18:44:09 »
Also, formatting-wise, I usually insert new skill rows in the middle of the Skill (or Trait) list to avoid the extra outlines.  Sorting the list later will clean things up.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #31 on: 04 February 2019, 18:47:08 »
Excel tip: the keyboard shortcut for Fill Down is "Ctrl-D"... :)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #32 on: 04 February 2019, 18:51:32 »
Just shy of 36:00 is another reason I insert in the middle of the lists... When you do it that way, it automatically adjusts the formulas in Column C...  I think I definitely need to mention that in the instructions, but I'll hold off until I've gone through the whole video...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #33 on: 04 February 2019, 18:52:59 »
Yikes!  Just after 36:00 is where the flag should have gone up on the whole Flex thing... The formula treated it as a skill, not an error checking function.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #34 on: 04 February 2019, 18:53:59 »
Excel tip: you can insert or delete more than one row at a time...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #35 on: 04 February 2019, 19:03:57 »
Just saw 44:00... you got those two cells to balance, but the Flex row is still not right (as discussed above).  I hate to say it, but I think you're going to have to go back to before you overwrote that row... Ten minutes of video to go!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #36 on: 04 February 2019, 19:22:17 »
Ok, all done with my review.  I think fixing the Flex row and everything after that initial error will clean up everything.  I could be wrong, though, and will definitely check out the next version.  Again, thanks for doing this!  :thumbsup:

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #37 on: 04 February 2019, 21:08:19 »
Ok, I have gone through all of the comments and will be addressing the ones that need addressing in the order in which they appeared. Let me know if fail to address something that you want me to. Also, this is my first time using Excel guys. Thank you so much for helping me learn it. I'm applying for internships in editing and tech writing as a part of my capstone for my college degree, and some of my class mates said that I may need to know Excel.

1. Yes Daryk, I will send you my e-mail over a PM.

2. I did catch the Small/Arms problem. Catching that got cut out in the editing process. This video was originally 1 hour and 52 minutes long. So, I cut out some stuff. 

3. Regarding the 22:00 mark about the skill fields, I should word things better to explicitly mention that one does not have to take 3 skill fields.

4. At the 26:00 mark I did forget the 50 flex for ComStar. It was invisible to me until now. Literally, I just spent 2 full minutes staring at the stage 4 ComStar module without seeing it. Then BAM, it was there--weird.

5. The flex error at 31:00 and your way of correcting it has been noted.

6. I will insert into the middle of the list now. No more 36:00 mess ups for me.

7. It is possible to insert or delete more than one cell? Oh, it is, just figured it out: cool.

8.The flex row is wrong, but it is funny that "flex" pops up as a skill linked to STR & DEX

Allright, now that I have a better idea of what I am doing, I will make a new video to replace this one. I'm in a better position to plan things out now. Some parts may also be scritped. Perhaps I will fill out the life modules in the Sample Modules tab before I begin filming; that should minimize the chance of me getting fatigued and making a mistake. Don't worry, I will make a giant check list of things for me not to forget.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #38 on: 05 February 2019, 04:07:37 »
Sounds like a plan!  For your first time using Excel, you did great!  It gets easier with time and practice... :)

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 08 February 2019, 17:23:54 »
It took me a bit to figure out how you were handling Clan Aging (a nice little trick) but you might want to mention it in the write up, incase others without excel experience aren't quite sure, or decide to just say "Goliath Scorpions" for their Affiliation, rather than "Clan Goliath Scorpions." (or atleast I think that's how that works)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #40 on: 08 February 2019, 17:32:36 »
Ah... clan aging... I don't remember programming that in, but it is an easy enough fix (if manual).

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #41 on: 08 February 2019, 20:09:56 »
It seems to work fine the way it is. I just think that it could use a mention that they have to write their Affiliation in T2 as "Clan etc" rather than just "etc"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #42 on: 08 February 2019, 20:11:38 »
I must have put it in at some point, because the logic for it is programmed correctly.  I'll edit it into the instructions.  Thanks!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #43 on: 08 February 2019, 20:21:37 »
Added that point to the instructions, along with the reason for inserting in the middle of the lists as pointed out by BiggRigg42.  Please let me know if I wasn't clear.  :)

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #44 on: 08 February 2019, 20:59:18 »
Added that point to the instructions, along with the reason for inserting in the middle of the lists as pointed out by BiggRigg42.  Please let me know if I wasn't clear.  :)

Awesome, I just looked over the new addition to the instructions.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #45 on: 08 February 2019, 22:46:05 »
How does Flex work on the sheet? Is it just like another pool kind of like Aging?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #46 on: 09 February 2019, 04:36:53 »
Flex also comes from modules and is where all the points from optimization go.  It's very much a "catch all".

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #47 on: 10 February 2019, 19:41:55 »
I did notice one thing. I was playing around with making a Clan character and my Charisma wound up at a -30 after all the Modules. The optimization aspect added 100 to the score, bringing it up to 70. However, it should have brought it up automatically to 1, rather than just adding 100 to it.

Same with the EDG score which wound up at 0 (yeah, Clan characters are kind of...eh if you go by the modules...). The optimization process should be bringing the stat up to 100.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #48 on: 10 February 2019, 20:01:05 »
Hmmm... I'll have to look at that, then.  The formula is supposed to do exactly what you describe.  Thanks for the catch!

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #49 on: 10 February 2019, 22:07:13 »
I got the new version up. The video was made differently from the rough draft. This version lasts for about 23 minutes, and I didn't have to do any serious editing work to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fy_HDMZoiw&index=13&list=PLW4v4K6PB7qIWAumfYAqdfxOlk4OgDOTD

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #50 on: 10 February 2019, 22:11:46 »
Cool... I'll have to take a look at it after work tomorrow (unless the snow coming down cancels work, of course...).

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #51 on: 11 February 2019, 00:47:23 »
Its a minor thing, and I'm not sure if its possible or not to change the behavior without adding in a few oddities, but the Phenotype Trait has a cost of 0. When you add it to the sheet, its going to automatically cross itself off for not having any points assigned to it.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 11 February 2019, 01:42:40 »
I got the new version up. The video was made differently from the rough draft. This version lasts for about 23 minutes, and I didn't have to do any serious editing work to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fy_HDMZoiw&index=13&list=PLW4v4K6PB7qIWAumfYAqdfxOlk4OgDOTD

After a quick watch before I pass out, the end is a bit confusing, but simply because you're trying to figure out what cell you're looking for, so it gets a bit confusing for the viewer if they aren't sure I think, but that's not too bad.

And I'm not sure on this next suggestion, because its more of a how to to use the sheet rather than how to make the character, but at no point do you say (or atleast I don't think you did) "Okay, the Starting XP column is how much XP you gained from the Life Modules, the Optimization column is showing how much excess XP you have over the highest usable value, the subtotal column is the optimized XP value, the spend column is how much you want to spend from your pool, and the End XP column is how much you have total in that attribute/trait/skill, and that determines the final value according to the rules."

Though again, that's more for "Here's how to make a character" rather than "Here's how the sheet works."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #53 on: 11 February 2019, 04:41:09 »
Good point on Phenotype, Maelwys… that might merit a separate spot on the sheet.  Honestly, clan characters were an after thought for me.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #54 on: 11 February 2019, 10:00:44 »
After a quick watch before I pass out, the end is a bit confusing, but simply because you're trying to figure out what cell you're looking for, so it gets a bit confusing for the viewer if they aren't sure I think, but that's not too bad.

Yeah I totally misspoke at the end there. So, I put in an edit in the video description explaining that.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #55 on: 11 February 2019, 10:04:03 »

And I'm not sure on this next suggestion, because its more of a how to to use the sheet rather than how to make the character, but at no point do you say (or atleast I don't think you did) "Okay, the Starting XP column is how much XP you gained from the Life Modules, the Optimization column is showing how much excess XP you have over the highest usable value, the subtotal column is the optimized XP value, the spend column is how much you want to spend from your pool, and the End XP column is how much you have total in that attribute/trait/skill, and that determines the final value according to the rules."

Though again, that's more for "Here's how to make a character" rather than "Here's how the sheet works."

I have two other videos up on how to make a character. When I tried making this video on how to make a character and use the sheet, it ended up being too long. That's why this is simply a, "Here is how the sheet works" video.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #56 on: 11 February 2019, 11:11:04 »

Actually, that part is worse than I thought it was, especially for an ending. I edited it out and recorded a better ended. A third draft with this better ended in uploading to YouTube now. So, the 2nd draft was taken down.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #57 on: 11 February 2019, 12:25:50 »
Draft 3 is up. I made a better ending because I misspoke so badly, and it got confusing (even though I completed the character properly). Thanks for the feed back Maelwys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOr1wTQeSjY&index=14&t=0s&list=PLW4v4K6PB7qIWAumfYAqdfxOlk4OgDOTD
« Last Edit: 11 February 2019, 12:35:06 by BiggRigg42 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #58 on: 11 February 2019, 18:09:28 »
I should be through my various threads in about 10-15 minutes, and will then give it a watch... thanks again!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #59 on: 11 February 2019, 18:47:50 »
Woo!  Thanks for pronouncing my name correctly!  You have NO idea how often I get called "Daryl" by people assuming it's a typo...