Author Topic: FASA Games, a name from the past  (Read 14940 times)

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
Re: FASA Games, a name from the past
« Reply #60 on: 03 September 2012, 09:29:41 »
 ???  Who's heated?

To the defense of Renegade Legion and Battletech, I have and will buy both.....

Me too, though I have some nagging doubts that Renegade Legion will succeed to the extent BattleTech has as-is.  Many people rave about the Centurion record sheets and their concomitant damage templates (and I certainly do as well) but the game is still using skirmish rules mechanics for a company-level game.  I merely wonder if a re-release today would rekindle a lasting dynasty as BattleTech has seen.

But, you know, Ogre certainly brought people off the fence and that is even more of a classic tabletop wargame than either BT or RL...
« Last Edit: 03 September 2012, 11:32:57 by Failure16 »
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #61 on: 03 September 2012, 10:02:24 »
We really need to play that again.

Agreed!  I'm working like mad right now, but I'll try to remember to contact you about it as soon as I get some time!

Gardensnake

• Corporal
« Reply #62 on: 03 September 2012, 12:44:52 »
The products being competitors is actually moot. The speculation is FASA re-releasing Renegade Legion not Catalyst. There are already competitors to B-Tech including Heavy Gear, Drop Zone Commander, 40K Epic, CAV, and really any other miniature game on the market. IF FASA were to re-release Renegade Legion, I think they should be more worried about entering a crowded market rather than competing against Battletech specifically. They are no longer under the same roof.

William

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #63 on: 03 September 2012, 12:53:37 »
That is entirely correct--if FASA intended to do so today.  The impetus of the discussion in this particular context was in regards to Catalyst Game Labs resurrecting Renegade Legion (at Post #37 in this thread), not [the new] FASA, since the RL IP is held by Topps, not by FASA.

Having competition to BattleTech by any of those systems you mentioned doesn't equate because they are all done by different companies, not by CGL (or a single entity of any name).  If FASA did choose to license RL from Topps and continue production, then there would indeed be no need to discuss why having CGL take it on-board would engender internal competition.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #64 on: 03 September 2012, 19:58:44 »
That is entirely correct--if FASA intended to do so today.  The impetus of the discussion in this particular context was in regards to Catalyst Game Labs resurrecting Renegade Legion (at Post #37 in this thread), not [the new] FASA, since the RL IP is held by Topps, not by FASA.

I thought Wizkids(and thus Topps) only bought Battletech and Shadowrun from FASA?
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #65 on: 03 September 2012, 20:41:17 »
There are links in earlier posts from Lorcan and Failure that Topps also has RL. I have no idea on what else, if anything, FASA sold back in the day. I think I recall that VOR was spun off back to the creator.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #66 on: 04 September 2012, 01:45:57 »
Vor's rights indeed were reverted to Mike Nielsen, who's been promising a second edition for about 4 years now.  FASA retained Earthdawn, which they licensed to Redbrick games. And of course Crimson Skies was actually part of FASA Interactive, so it was sold to Microsoft.  I don't think they had any other game properties of their own.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

WarChicken

• Corporal
« Reply #67 on: 04 September 2012, 03:43:46 »
Just wondering because battlecorps is involved with the btech ip, could they release renegade legion fiction? I presume they would have to pay a fee to use the renegade legion ip. This way they could see how much interest there is with renegade legion.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #68 on: 04 September 2012, 03:53:02 »
Just wondering because battlecorps is involved with the btech ip, could they release renegade legion fiction? I presume they would have to pay a fee to use the renegade legion ip. This way they could see how much interest there is with renegade legion.

Personally, I am still hoping we get something like Battlecorps for Shadowrun...But, there does not seem to be an interest in Shadowrun fiction. What makes you think there would be interest in fiction for something less well-known then Battletech and Shadowrun?
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

WarChicken

• Corporal
« Reply #69 on: 04 September 2012, 04:41:40 »
Mainly just curious if it can be done. Some of the fiction when it came out was a bit darker than btech at the time.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #70 on: 04 September 2012, 05:25:49 »
It all depends on the licensing involved.  Catalyst/InMedia Res would need to approach Topps with a proposal to bring RenLeg back, and Topps would set a price.  I'm sure they'd need to pay more to get a license to do fiction as well as games because that's a second revenue stream.  Catalyst would need to see if the game will get enough support that the cost is acceptable and then go to work.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: 04 September 2012, 09:07:26 »
But, there does not seem to be an interest in Shadowrun fiction.

After some of the later SR fiction, I can understand why.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #72 on: 04 September 2012, 16:20:29 »
To the defense of Renegade Legion and Battletech, I have and will buy both.....

Same here.

I buy a lot of games. However, I know a few people who 'dedicate' themselves, and are averse to purchasing a wide assortment instead for heavy investment into one or two. Usually it's due to limited resources and/or time. They will play if someone else brings the materials, or they feel up to it.

And, then there are some people who are just plain picky.

I'm a generalist, and will give everything its fair shot, and may hold onto it. I bought a lot of Monsterpocalypse last summer, for example. Not much new is coming out for them right now, and while the game is cute, I had an ulterior motive: Buildings! And, their units are useful across genres, too.

I can see the arguments on both sides. An avid gamer is an avid gamer, but when you have such drastic tastes across what is already a very small market, I guess it becomes hard to justify keeping one going over another. It's quite possible that FASA was losing money over RenLeg. I don't know.

But, it would be nice to have some sort of fluff update, even if it is in a voluntary basis. 
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

WarChicken

• Corporal
« Reply #73 on: 04 September 2012, 17:35:45 »
Does anyone where they were going with the story for Renegade Legion? We all know that the idea for Jihad was conceived in the early nineties for battletech so i presume there was one for Renegade Legion.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #74 on: 04 September 2012, 21:05:41 »
Does anyone where they were going with the story for Renegade Legion? We all know that the idea for Jihad was conceived in the early nineties for battletech so i presume there was one for Renegade Legion.
  I remember seeing something on-line once - they were planning for a civil war within TOG.
* Trace Coburn fires up Google
  Ah!  Try this for the thumbnail outline of TOG's civil war (and its impact on other factions), and this for more detail about the way things were meant to play out during and after the split.
« Last Edit: 05 September 2012, 00:01:09 by Trace Coburn »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #75 on: 06 September 2012, 19:44:26 »
  I remember seeing something on-line once - they were planning for a civil war within TOG.
* Trace Coburn fires up Google
  Ah!  Try this for the thumbnail outline of TOG's civil war (and its impact on other factions), and this for more detail about the way things were meant to play out during and after the split.

Such a damn shame.  Died before its time.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #76 on: 14 April 2024, 10:19:43 »
https://www.facebook.com/fasagamesinc

I was gonna say "da hell' but apparently these folks existed for MOAR than a decade (upon reading the date this thread started)...
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #77 on: 14 April 2024, 14:04:18 »
Well it seems they are the custodians of Fading Suns, which makes me somewhat happy. I lost my entire FS collection moving to Ecuador, I I regret that deeply. One of these days I'd like to rebuild my FS collection.

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

Register