Author Topic: Silly question...  (Read 6889 times)

DarthRads

• Captain
  • Trust me...I'm the Doctor...
Re: Silly question...
« Reply #30 on: 29 October 2015, 18:15:24 »
What number was it? For those of us who want to try and find one.

It's in storage somewhere. I photocopied it back in high school. Will have a dug...

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 30 October 2015, 03:02:04 »
I couldn't find any information and I'm too lazy to look, but I was wondering, has anybody come up with rules for giant creatures? It would be kind of fun to have a mech fight it out with a large critter on a jungle world or such.

Well, you could try the Megasaur from ATOW Companion. Stats on p. 131.
50 tons of meat and bone, decent (for infantry) armor. While its normal attacks will only cause 3 damage (Mech armor is tough) its ram attack will do 13. Can take two PPC hits before the third kills it. Standard infantry rifles will just piss it off though.

You want a little bigger?

Same page has the Mkuranga Titanodon. Nearly 75 tons, weaker armor, but packs a bigger wallop. Standard attacks do 7 damage each, charge will do 19. Six (yes, two broadsides by an Awesome) PPCs needed to drop it.

So, the reason to bring a Light Mech to the party is you can get away.

But Paul, that's just not big enough!

Well, the Mother of the Ocean is 900 tons, but underwater only. You don't want that. You want a kaiju. You want the Slattern from Pacific Rim.
Good thing we have rules starting on p.106 for just that.

Slattern is 6750 tons.
This means it has a BOD score of 6,750.
Let's match the STR to that: 6,750.
Other Attributes? Well, they don't matter too much. D/R/I/W/E: 5/5/5/8/3

Traits?
Well, Aggressive, Animal Cognition, Armor (Let's max this to +8 for a final value of 8/7/6/7), Offensive adaptation of +2M/2 and we can add more, but you know enough.

Base damage is 6M/6 (as a Monstrous +9 sized creature is 6 categories larger than a Medium, though you might actually want to bump it another category or two), then the Offensive Adaptation makes it 8M/8, then its STR of 6750 makes it 8M/1696.
So, on a normal attack, it'll do 169 damage. (8AP vs 10BAR is -2. 1696 - 2 = 1694. Divide by 10 because it's BAR10, and you have 169 left.)
At 6750 STR, it can pick up a 100 ton object, and not yet be encumbered. (p.169 ATOW)
It's Ram attack will do 675 damage. (Ram attacks max out at the BOD score of the creature; it's like we wanted it to be easy)

OK, maybe that's a bit too much. Gipsy Danger is 1980 tons, after all.

Don't know about PPCs but I would like to know if they can use Battlemech hand held weapons. Physical and ranged.  >:D

I love that idea!
No, they wouldn't be able to, since there's no physical triggers.
But, presuming you *make* a physical trigger, and give the critter Animal Cognition, a decent INT and decent DEX, I don't see why not. It wouldn't be official, but by the time you're dealing with 1,000+ STR (needed to pick up multi ton weapons) creatures, it's not canon anymore anyway.
To be clear about that: the canon dinosaur-like critters wouldn't be able to lift and operate Mech size weaponry since they're not strong enough.

« Last Edit: 30 October 2015, 03:03:44 by Paul »
The solution is just ignore Paul.

DarthRads

• Captain
  • Trust me...I'm the Doctor...
« Reply #32 on: 30 October 2015, 03:58:33 »
I remember playing around with a Megasaur and applying genecast and MD enhancements to it...wonders where that went...