Author Topic: Coils of the Adder: Home of Clan Star Adder  (Read 218661 times)

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Re: Coils of the Adder: Home of Clan Star Adder
« Reply #1260 on: 27 June 2019, 19:26:06 »
Did the adders cache any of their fleet post reavings? I recall it be the largest still?

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #1261 on: 26 July 2019, 13:55:38 »
Immediately post reaving the adders had the biggest HW fleet but did they moth ball any of it? Would they have needed such a large fleet?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1262 on: 26 July 2019, 20:49:49 »
to paraphrase ron white

i didn't know how many warships they needed to kick my ass. but i knew how many they were going to use.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
« Reply #1263 on: 26 July 2019, 21:24:01 »
Ya know...I always felt like the Cobras had more...maybe i missed something or it's been so long that I honestly cannot remember the size of the Adder fleet.
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #1264 on: 26 July 2019, 21:32:54 »
Ya know...I always felt like the Cobras had more...maybe i missed something or it's been so long that I honestly cannot remember the size of the Adder fleet.
[/quote

I would guess that immediately post reavings the cobras would have the most elite fleet but I think the adders had the numbers...

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #1265 on: 05 September 2019, 20:03:37 »
Was rereading the Hannibal bannchek entry and it stated he was commended for “preventing massive “ losses during the viper annihilation. Was this because he ordered bombardments?

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1266 on: 05 September 2019, 23:54:13 »
Was rereading the Hannibal bannchek entry and it stated he was commended for “preventing massive “ losses during the viper annihilation. Was this because he ordered bombardments?

Without further details, we can only speculate that yes Banacek's ordering of orbital bombardment against a dezgra enemy earned him more respect from the other Khams than he already had for bashing Brett Andrews face in.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Cidwm

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1267 on: 19 October 2019, 23:25:46 »
'Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 90 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.'

That pretty much says it all... 3 years since the last Adder post.

Come on, we're the ilClan in all but name, where's everyone hiding? :)

Sorry I rarely post now days. I usually just check around every few months for a look see.

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #1268 on: 22 October 2019, 10:34:13 »
Do you think that the Adders do have clandestine operations running in the Inner Sphere in the Dark Age era?
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1269 on: 22 October 2019, 11:24:54 »
Do you think that the Adders do have clandestine operations running in the Inner Sphere in the Dark Age era?

Wouldn't that be tainted?

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #1270 on: 22 October 2019, 11:31:17 »
They might have been developed a Ritual of Purification, for the Home Clan people involved.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1271 on: 22 October 2019, 16:02:51 »
If the blackout extends to the Home Worlds, a well coordinated invasion done Adder style will be difficult to pull off.  Same with clandestine ops.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #1272 on: 23 October 2019, 10:30:03 »
What if the Homeclans are behind the Blackout?

They could have used an new version of the HPG virus, the Society used in the WoR.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1273 on: 23 October 2019, 11:17:00 »
If the Home Clans were behind the blackout, they probably would have struck by now.

I could be wrong, though. 

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1274 on: 23 October 2019, 14:11:12 »
Per my understanding of the complete WoR arc any action like that would be a huge break of their own self-conception.
Maybe if news of the situation in the IS reaches the homeworlds they may find a reason to start a new invasion. But in that case they will have adopted new tech and tactics that avoid their mistakes from Revival and match their honor code.
E.g. when they understand the value of ressources and supplies, the possibilities of air and naval supperiority and define all IS people, warriors and civilists, as tainted, they will come with huge fleets ready to orbital bomb any major industry and city to the ground faster than the IS can react.

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #1275 on: 25 October 2019, 08:13:56 »
If the Home Clans were behind the blackout, they probably would have struck by now.

They might have done this, because it would have kept the Inner Sphere powers focused on the Inner Sphere and nothing else.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #1276 on: 18 December 2019, 20:17:48 »
Do the adders control shipyards post WOR?

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #1277 on: 19 December 2019, 13:38:24 »
The Priori Shipyards are described as being still under repair.

A new shipyard (a very huge one) is reported as being constructed in the Hoard system (the Adders moved the captured Leviathan Prime yards to this system).

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #1278 on: 19 December 2019, 17:25:15 »
The Priori Shipyards are described as being still under repair.

A new shipyard (a very huge one) is reported as being constructed in the Hoard system (the Adders moved the captured Leviathan Prime yards to this system).

Dang! They got out of the WOR with all the best toys huh?

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #1279 on: 20 December 2019, 11:22:17 »
Dang! They got out of the WOR with all the best toys huh?
The biggest guy in the sand box gets the biggest toys, does he not?  ;)

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
« Reply #1280 on: 20 December 2019, 13:44:09 »
The biggest guy in the sand box gets the biggest toys, does he not?  ;)

Yes, sometimes he does.

Just imagine, Adder led force, using newly constructed Lev's with the flaws taken out (if there ever were any) in multiple configurations, hitting the Inner Sphere!

:drool:

And then just like that one of the writers will kill them off in a big bang.
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

ManicMaestro

• Corporal
« Reply #1281 on: 20 January 2020, 11:30:11 »
Hello Adders,

I was looking back through the Revival Trials turning point and wondered if the Adders could have secured an invasion corridor if they wanted too. Their TO&E is fluffed as somewhere north of 10 galaxies so they seem to have the forces to participate. Would their strategic mindset have hampered them in securing a corridor over say the Ghost Bears?

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1282 on: 20 January 2020, 12:12:47 »
The Adders realized that the overall planning for the invasion was doomed. We argued for larger invasion forces - and in the end got right.
But with the given conditions we had no intention to waste our troops for that operation.

Sharkapult

• Sergeant
« Reply #1283 on: 20 January 2020, 22:53:00 »
Yup, Adders played the long game. The Adders felt that the other top tier clans would bleed themselves dry in the IS. They bid far more forces than anyone else so they lost in the initial trials I think. They focused and consolidated in the homeworlds as best as they could, in order to be the strongest remaining. Smart positioning led to them masterminding the end of the Reavings.

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #1284 on: 22 January 2020, 10:42:38 »
The Adders bid as the SLDF would have done: full power.
They are the only true heirs of the SLDF.

Zellbringen

• Corporal
« Reply #1285 on: 27 January 2020, 16:00:15 »
I can say if the other clans had listened to the Adder's Khan during the planning of Revival, by 3055 there would have been a Clan lead Star League.  Not saying it would last but if you go back and look at what happened in cannon and what the Adder's plan is, the Inner Sphere would have been in shatters.  Revival consisted of 4 clans with 3 galaxies of front-line galaxies each and then 3 more clans in reserve with another 3 galaxies each.  21 galaxies in total.  Before Tukiyyad the Inner Sphere had three major "Victories"; Luthien, Walcott and Twycross.  Twycross was still a loss in the end while Walcott was won by a fluke in my opinion.  At this point in time the Clans were seen as unstoppable. 

And this was 4-6 separate factions attaching the whole of the Inner Sphere.  They were competing with each other during Revival up until Tukiyyad.  While the Inner Sphere was by no means a united front, remember that the FedCom and Dracs stripped their other boarders to face the Clans.  And it took 7 regiments of the most elite mercs and several high profile line regiments to defend Luthien. 

If we look at the Clans as a whole at the time of Revival, there were 17 full remaining clans.  Per the bidding section in OTP: Revival Trials the traditional smallest Clan, Blood Spirit, bid 9 Galaxies.  Just going off the clans that bid in the first round, there were 121 Galaxies bid.  And that with Wolf and Snow Raven not bidding, along with the Adders not giving a number instead bidding their entire Clan.  This is almost 6 times as large as the troops deployed in Revival.  And I don't believe it is out of the realms of possibilities they a united Clan front would have been close to 150 galaxies with probably a 3rd or more of those being front line formations.

If the Clans had followed the Adder's plans for a united assault, using each clan to their strengths Luthien and Tharkad would have fallen within 2 years along with the complete destruction of the FRR.  By the 4th year Skye and Dieron are both under Clan control, also more than likely Hephaestus, all of these are within striking distance of Terra.  If the ComGuards had not been smashed trying to halt assault earlier after learning of the Clan's ultimate objective they would make their stand on Terra.   More than likely calling in support from the what is left of the AFFC and FWLM to protect Terra.

At this point I think the real meat of this AR take on the invasion would come.  If all twenty armies of the ComGuards were still online along with the Comstar Militia were set to defend Terra and its fortifications, then add in 2 or 3 brigades from the AFFC that have survived and probably double or triple that number from the FWLM(at this time Marik was still a plant from ComStar).  This would be the fight the Clans would be gearing up to the entire invasion.  This would be a hard battle, that would probably take years but would be worthy of its own Remembrance all together. 

Now I know this would never happen.  The Clans have always been to fractured to ever work together.  Even Klondike and the Wolverine Annihilation had the clans thinking how the battle would improve its standing instead of the goal it's self.  But its one of the reasons I love Star Adder so much.  Their strategic thinking to look at the long picture and their goals. 

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1286 on: 27 January 2020, 17:44:29 »
And don't forget the naval fleets. I don't think that a Adder lead invasion would deny this huge advantage. It would have been a revival of old SLDF tactics.
But in the end the Adders weren't strong enough to unit all clans before Revival. And after the WoR the clans in total lack the numbers to do the job. But i'm looking forward what happened in the homeworld and if the Adders still follow the plan to bring a united clan force to the IS.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #1287 on: 28 January 2020, 01:27:06 »
The Adders ‘leading’ a ‘united’ front of Clan forces in the Invasion would have done tremendous damage. I agree with Zell’s assessment with only one thing not considered: the Homeworlds.

Had 80% of the Clan’s Toumans been sent off into the Inner Sphere the Wars of Reaving would have happened much sooner. I’d imagine the Scientist Caste revolting, the Burrock treachery and Bandit Caste upraising, and evening new Clans rising up to lay claim to Clan Homeworlds while the major forces were conquering the Inner Sphere. So by 3055 they’re at Terra’s doorstep but what is behind them? Do the even care anymore what’s behind them or do they all pull a Ghost Bear Dominion?

Interesting questions for an AU honestly.

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1288 on: 28 January 2020, 07:13:07 »
I don't see the WoR coming with that starting assumption.
The Adders have a far better understanding and treatment of their lower castes. I have no hard numbers, but i wouldn't expect much participation of Adder scientists in the revolt. So if the Adders lead and dictate, their is not that hardship for the scientists that lead to the revolt.

There might be room for the Burrock treachery with the Bandits as this ties are older than Operation Revival. But there is even more united power to handle that. And also the Burrock forces would be split. So there is no change in the balance of power from that.

Zellbringen

• Corporal
« Reply #1289 on: 28 January 2020, 15:44:50 »
Several good points.  I do disagree on a couple of things. 

At no point did I think this would be an Adder lead invasion.  Before the Revival Trials, Leo Showers had already been elected ilKhan, and Elias Crichell had already positioned him as one of his closest allies.  What I was purposing was the clans going with Cassius N'Buta's plan to invade in force.  Khan N'Buta wanted to position the Adders in a leading roll of advisers and trying to help guide the invasion.  But I have always saw this as an invasion by the Clans as a whole, lead by the ilKhan and dictated by the Grand Council.  The Adders weren't looking to change the other clans, only to help direct the Invasion as Crusaders they believed was the correct course for history. 

As for the War of Reaving there are parts I would agree with on and things I don't.  While I do believe there would be a inter clan war at some point, I do believe it would be much different. The WoR was a perfect storm of events that coincided to create the right conditions for war.  There is mainly 4 points that were a major factor in the WoR; the Burrock betrayal, the Homeworld/Invader divide, the Caste revolt by the Scientist Caste and Brett Andrews.   Lets look at each of these points.

- The Burrock betrayal was caused by one chain of events.  After Revival started, the Khans of Burrock were trying to cover up evidence of their predecessors dealings with the Dark Caste, this cover up led to the Adders finding this evidence which led to the Absorption of the Burrocks by the Adders.  Because of the almost whole sale absorption of Burrock warriors, many did not acclimate to becoming Adders and instead of addressing this problem the Adders through them all in Upsilon Galaxy to be forgotten.  This allowed Burrock to begin again and turn to the Dark Caste for help.  I argue that this line of events would have never accrued. With both the Adders and Burrocks involved in the invasion nether of the events that lead to the Absorption would have happened and more than likely the Burrocks dealings with the Dark Caste would have been business as usual atleast until after the invasion was complete.  Burrock might have played a part in a later Caste revolt just due to both's connection with the Dark Caste, but I don't see it happening as quick, or as effective.  Instead of having all the Burrock collaborators in one unit, you would have them split over a full clan, that was never 100% in with the Dark Caste.

- Another major factor was the Homeworld vs Invader divide that came after the Battle of Tukiyyad.  The Invaders had gained a lot of power and the Homeworld clans were jealous of that power.  This increased the rate of Trials between the two groups.  Then add on that in the space of 15 years you have a Clan absorbed, another fractured in two, one annihilated by the Inner Sphere, another abjured to join the Inner Sphere, one up and leaves the Homeworlds to form a new nation in the IS and finally one gets kicked back to the Homeworlds in humiliation.  The societal change and power vacuum this caused was devastating.  This alone was already starting to tear the clans apart.  For the most part giving the clans a single focus would have helped unify them in this regard and stopping most of these issues at least for the short term.

- For the Caste Revolt and the Bloody ilKhan I'll put these together as one point.  For the most part I don't believe the Society would have been changed much by a unified invasion over the original one.   But I do believe their actions would have changed.  Up until the WoR the Society was content to continue its research and work to a future where they could lead.  It was never their choice to revolt when they did, they felt they were pushed into it by the declaration of Brett Andrews and his call for Trials of Reaving on any Legacy he deemed tainted by the Inner Sphere corruption.  This was the spark that launched the Society to start their war. 

So what does homeworlds look like in a post successful Revival look like?  Looking a Revival planed and administered with foresight of N'Bute I believe it would unfold as such.  For the first 2 to 4 waves of the your looking at primarily Front Line Galaxies only.  Your using your best troops to take and conquer worlds, with most garrison forces your facing in the first phase unprepared for front line troops.  By the 4th wave, the Combine and Commonwealth are moving troops forward and are working on counter attacks.  By this time, Clan second line Galaxies have been moved up from the homeworlds, likely 3 to 6 months behind the front of the invasion.  Your using the second line troops to garrison your conquered worlds and taking care of the uprisings that are being formed on these worlds.  Your more than likely also moving up scores of Civilians to administrator the world's own Civilian population, Technicians, Merchants, and Scientists. 

In the homeworlds you've got 3 main groups;
 - Warriors from Solahma Clusters and PGCs to protect the homeworlds from Dark Caste raids. 
 - Sibkos and the Scientist/Warriors training them
 - And the Civilians that could not be moved to keep the Homeworlds operational.

I'm pretty sure if they have reached and taken Terra the Homeworlds would have been abandoned.  The bigger question is would the Clans care about moving their remaining civilians and forces from the homeworlds?  Would those left behind form the Society at this point? 

From an AU stand point I believe the Clans at this point are more Stable then they were during the WoR.  You have an Inner Sphere split between 17 factions with multiple worlds requiring integration.  The inter Clan fighting would be at a minimum at this point as they have more internal problems to deal with.  I do believe this would be troubling times and see more than a few clans fall as they are unable to integrate with their new civilians.  But that is the fun of an AU, looking at where things could go.

Register