Author Topic: Talk to me about the Nightstar  (Read 12325 times)

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
Talk to me about the Nightstar
« on: 12 May 2018, 21:21:59 »
I've been fascinated with the Nightstar lately.  I like to think of it as an official, bigger version of the Marauder, and it makes me think of Wolf's Dragoon's Marauder II as a cheap knockoff.  Nothing says good night from a distance like twin Gauss rifles and an ER PPC in the old 9J model, and the 9FC and 9SS models offer greater mobility in the form of a larger engine or three jump jets, respectively, but each make some sacrifice in long-range firepower.

Which variants do you fellow players prefer and why?  I like the 9J for being a somewhat less-explody Thunder Hawk, but I wouldn't mind some more mobility.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Talk to me about the Nightstar
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2018, 22:15:37 »
The 9J is begging for a capacitor to replace some of its excessive Gauss ammo.  Pretty easy to shoehorn in a Command Console too, if you like.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2018, 01:05:05 »
The 9J is begging for a capacitor to replace some of its excessive Gauss ammo.  Pretty easy to shoehorn in a Command Console too, if you like.
There's no such thing as too much ammo for gauss rifles. ;)
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2018, 01:37:03 »
There's no such thing as too much ammo for gauss rifles. ;)
I think this is the only weapon we can say this about.

It's interesting because the three vars are all very different beasts.  The 9J can sink a running alpha, but does it really need to?  Most of your day should be spent at 15-20 hexes out.  With 65 rounds of gauss, you should be like, "12s to hit?  Why not?"  I'm not a huge fan of mplas, the short range eats most of the pulse buff.  A regular mlas would probably get at least more chance to fire before a mplas gets into range, and ERmlas probably has 2 more chances to fire, and either one is half the mass.  But they are decent for close range backstabbers trying to get in under the gauss minimum.  The small laser, on a 95 ton assault?  I'm guessing it's there because massaging cockpit chair and Dolby 7.1 surround sound with subwoofers only came to about .49 tons. 

No doubts, it is a beast. Just keep the range open, and tape down the triggers.

The 9FC is a different animal.  The LB 10's shorter range mean this Nightstar is going to be taking considerably more fire. The 9J is a lethal sniper, supporting teammates from the next town over.  The 9FC is one of those teammates. After a couple turns of attention from a 9J, you are either out of the fight or you have got daylight peaking through your armor, but as long as you keep your damaged right side away from that monster on the hill, you'll be okay.  OHCRAP!  The monster has a brother and it's brother has paired sandblasters and I'm stuck between them!!!!

Between slugs from paired LB 10s and the PPC, this machine is well equipped for making holes, then exploiting them with cluster, although the ammo is a bit thin for fighting other assault mechs.  As the forward element in a formation that is anchored by gauss boats, those twin LB 10s are very scary to anyone with breaches.   Yeah, they aren't as scary as twin LB 20s, but they do reach 50% farther with correspondingly better TH numbers.

And now for the 9SS... When your load out contains AC/20s, plural, you know will occupy a great deal of the enemy's thoughts. A running alpha strike(ultra on standard mode) will leave you with just +1 heat, and a jumping alpha will give you +2. But really, you can subtract 1 heat from those figures because, how much are you really going to use that small laser?  Those mplas will be more useful since your big guns only reach 10 and 12 hexes, respectively. But if you drop two mplas and the small laser, then you can let 'er rip with that Ultra 20, LB 20 and one more mplas for fun and stay heat neutral on a run.

Unlike most AC/20 applications, the 9SS has plenty of ammo to go around. 15 rounds for each gun. That's almost 3 minutes of sustained John Woo, A-10 BRRAAAAAAP! action.   But the 9SS is completely harmless to anything standing 13 hexes away.  Given that its fluffed as a Solaris dueling machine, that's not as big a deficiency as it might be in a general service machine. That said, the Steiner, Marik, and Davion arenas are rather large and offer some good fire lanes. The Liao arena is huge as well but it's forests are so dense that breaking LOS shouldn't be hard, especially for a jumper like this. 

Weapon placement does reveal a issues the wise pilot should consider.  Two out of three mplas are leg mounted, which means they can't be fired from partial cover. Then there is the LB-20, which fills the right arm, and intrudes into the torso.  Which means this monster gun's firing arc is fixed to the torso weapons arc, rather than the arm.  So no torso twist, reach back and cluster spam that jumpy-backstabber in the face for you. It also means that despite a complete lack of hand and lower arm actuators, this thing can't flip its arms like a certain Rifleman was famous for doing.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2018, 01:47:01 »
While I prefer the Marauder IIs and King Crabs durability, the Nightstar is a awesome fire support/Gauss platform that can stand right next to the Devastator and Thunderhawk. It's a shame that Loose didn't give the mech a more flattering angle, thankfully there some awesome fan art out there that does the design justice. 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2018, 02:06:09 »
While I prefer the Marauder IIs and King Crabs durability, the Nightstar is a awesome fire support/Gauss platform that can stand right next to the Devastator and Thunderhawk. It's a shame that Loose didn't give the mech a more flattering angle, thankfully there some awesome fan art out there that does the design justice.
I agree about Loose's art.  I know some people really like his work, but it just doesn't click for me.

As to durability, Nightstars all carry 18.5 tons of standard plate.  Most 100 tonners only carry 19, with a few carrying 19.5.  The Nightstar is only 8 points shy of the Marauder II and equal or better cladding than many King Crabs.

A Nightstar -9FS working with a Thunder Hawk.... :yikes:
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2018, 11:08:19 »
I like the beasty, it can be a tough nut to crack when i goes in.  Command Mech in the novels, Tancred Sandoval leading the way for Pro-Victor Troops to ultimately liberate FedCom from Katherine Steiner-Davion before he got shot out of it.

While i prefer the 9J standard, giving long range fire power and reserve trio of Medium Pulse Lasers deal with someone who closed in it, the 9SS best variants when it comes to urban/close-quarters fighting.  Keeping trio medium pulse lasers for gauss rifles /er ppc be swapped out for LBX20/UAC20 One-Two Punch should enemy try corner it and then find it's bit more mobile with it's Jump Jets.  I'm not so keen on the LBX10 one, only because i don't think it pack enough punch for the stature of the thing.  It to me becomes oversize Bushwacker.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2018, 12:01:59 »
The basic 9J Nightstar confuses me, and has for years. Why? Because it doesn't need an XL engine. Had it gone with endo steel instead, it could have run with a standard fusion engine, and only sacrificed a ton of ammo and three of its heat sinks which, really, it doesn't actually need.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2018, 12:14:32 »
The basic 9J Nightstar confuses me, and has for years. Why? Because it doesn't need an XL engine. Had it gone with endo steel instead, it could have run with a standard fusion engine, and only sacrificed a ton of ammo and three of its heat sinks which, really, it doesn't actually need.

...Why haven't I done this yet!? In fact, why isn't this in a record sheet book yet!

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2018, 13:59:05 »

Many 'Mechs are like this...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2018, 14:39:23 »
I adore this 'Mech.  It is an IS twin-gauss with FLAVOR.  Hands actuators, ridiculous ammo bins, runs cooler an an ice cube.  It's a flawed, strange machine, but it's still great.  I think it fits in the universe and on the table top well.  Probably my favorite IS assault.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2018, 14:57:52 »

There are other examples of that as well like the UAC Fafnir. Try to build it with a SFE instead of a LFE, it'll work.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: 13 May 2018, 15:03:54 »
There are other examples of that as well like the UAC Fafnir. Try to build it with a SFE instead of a LFE, it'll work.

Pillager-3Z, Devastator-2, Caesar-3R, Hatchetman-5S, and so many others...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2018, 01:07:06 »
Typical FASA silliness.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2018, 03:25:30 »
Neither as obviously munch as a Thunder Hawk, nor as efficient as a Gunslinger. More sniper-y than a Devastator which does have good reason to close...

...and all that are excuses you can make for bringing yet another twin-gauss Assault turret to the table :D

Scoring a kill on one of these should be the highlight of any Light Mech backstabber's career.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2018, 08:14:23 »
If you think of the FC as a heavy, it changes you world.  For the BV (especially in BV1, wow!) it's contemporaries are/where generally heavy 'mechs.  Under BV2 it looks like it went up enough that now it's contemporaries are jumping heavies (Thantos, Black Hawk KU variants, Defiance etc) and lower end assault 'mechs.  Still, I've always played this guy to it's main difference over the other two variants, and thats the speed.  At 4/6 I just rush forward blasting away.  You have enough armor that you eventually get into physical ranges and then you act like a Banshee or Albatross and kick the legs out of other units (or cave in the sides of vehicles.) 

I'm generally giddy when people underestimate the 9FC to be honest.  If you are looking for a Gauss Monster Command 'mech, yeah the 9FC isn't that.  At ALL.  It is though a heavy with 293 armor and 19 point kicks that has enough firepower and versatility to really mess up opponents.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #16 on: 14 May 2018, 08:33:21 »
Yeah, it's a fine fast assault 'Mech in the tradition of the 4/6 Banshee lineage, the Albatross, and the Grand Titan.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #17 on: 14 May 2018, 08:43:49 »
It's honestly not a Mech I'm a fan of. It combines being 'flawless' (and so a little bland, in the same vein as the Devastator, Hellstar, etc.) with having wretched looks and an even worse miniature. That's a rough combination. I own one (in 3rd Crucis markings), I've used it on rare occasion, but it's not something I find that I gravitate towards.

Also the arm weapons drive me insane because on the miniature in particular it's hard to tell which is supposed to be which.  ::)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #18 on: 14 May 2018, 08:54:53 »
I think there something missing here.  The 3055-3058 gang of gauss rifles totin mechs, were typically assigned to certain factions. I know it's not big deal having faction specific
While the majority of the SL era machines were tied to the SLDF, they became faction focused machines.

Devastator was known to be operating with FedCom/FedSuns
Pillager was known for Capellan Confederation / St. Ives / FedCom (prior to St Ives war)
Thunder Hawk is known for FedCom/Lyran Alliance
Cerberus was initially sold to everyone, but by3060/Jihad it became a Marik/WoB mech
NightStar was known to operate with the FedCom/FedSuns.
Gunslinger was jointly developed/operated by FedCom/Kurita.

I know there general RAT, but it does explain why there so many of same kind of twin+ Gauss machines out there. Its to me give somewhat reason why there so many of them out there,
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 14 May 2018, 09:55:06 »
Everyone was building anti-Clan mechs, and Gauss Rifles were the it gun for fighting the Clans.  So naturally everyone wanted as many Gauss-packing mechs as they could get and tried to pack as many Gauss Rifles onto mechs as they could.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 14 May 2018, 13:30:25 »
Pretty much. To this day its hard to think of a weapon to match the Gauss Rifle - long range, low heat, headcapper...

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 14 May 2018, 16:15:17 »
[Unproductive post]
« Last Edit: 14 May 2018, 16:18:26 by Minemech »

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #22 on: 14 May 2018, 17:13:00 »
It's honestly not a Mech I'm a fan of. It combines being 'flawless' (and so a little bland, in the same vein as the Devastator, Hellstar, etc.) with having wretched looks and an even worse miniature. That's a rough combination. I own one (in 3rd Crucis markings), I've used it on rare occasion, but it's not something I find that I gravitate towards.

Also the arm weapons drive me insane because on the miniature in particular it's hard to tell which is supposed to be which.  ::)

It is ugly. The MWO version is nice looking though. When I saw thet itle, "talk to me about the Nightstar" my first thought was, "Hideous." But at least MWO tidied it up.

As far as the guns are concerned it is about as bizarre as the Behemoth.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 14 May 2018, 17:39:49 »
Weird 'Mech, a rare case for me as...

...I like the MWO iteration of the Nightstar is actually better than the canon TRO/mini, i'm don't generally speaking like MWO versions.
...It is a TRO3058 'Mech i actually like, one of my least favorite TROs overall. The others i like are the IS Omnis, Bushwacker, O-Bakemono, and few Clan 'Mechs. Everything else is meh as stats and looks go.
...It is a rare case of nearly optimized 'Mech i actually like. As noted, it could be made better with few tweaks, the 9J is a rare 'Mech with actually overstocked Gauss Rifles (3 tons per rifle is plenty already) and the XLFE is a bit pointless. But it is pretty good all the same.

The variants are interesting.
A jumping bruiser with different class-20 ACs? Nice, though i'd swap some ammo and MPL places, don't care for leg mounted weapons.
And a fast multi-role assault? Sure, why not.

Surprising the 'Mech does not have Dark Age variants, nor C3-slave variant, or even a C3 Master carrier. It is good, but it can be improved with Dark Age tech, it would be ideal platform for a C3 slave thanks to its long-range firepower, and its nature a as command platform would make it a logical platform to carry a C3 Master Computer.
For the Dark Age, simple modification using a Silver-Bullet Gauss could be interesting. A C3 Slave variant could be either created by modifying it to carry a Boosted Slave for the Dark Age or just swapping one ton of ammo for a C3 Slave. And the C3 Master can be created either by modifying lasers, heat sinks and ammo amount; or by swapping the ERPPC for a C3 Master Computer and... well, something extra.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #24 on: 14 May 2018, 22:21:39 »
Here's MWO's rendition of the Nightstar in case people were wondering how it looked:

https://mwomercs.com/static/packages/civilwarescalation/img/concept-nightstar-std.png
« Last Edit: 15 May 2018, 21:38:15 by BATTLEMASTER »
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #25 on: 14 May 2018, 22:55:15 »
It's very... lumpy.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 14 May 2018, 23:04:11 »
Seems like it'd be hard to actually use those hands for much. (Which is, to be sure, accurate to the '58 art, but no less annoying for all that)
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Last Edit: 15 May 2018, 22:32:11 by SteelRaven »

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 15 May 2018, 01:01:13 »
Somehow between the TRO and MWO... I like the mini best.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 15 May 2018, 03:44:33 »
Seems like it'd be hard to actually use those hands for much. (Which is, to be sure, accurate to the '58 art, but no less annoying for all that)
I'd either imagine the Gauss barrels can be retracted, or perhaps the guns should have "jettinsonable weapon" quirks.

Register