Author Topic: Virtual Record Sheet Android App  (Read 10733 times)

OldTimer

• Recruit
Virtual Record Sheet Android App
« on: 14 June 2018, 18:09:05 »
I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong place, or am not allowed to post this:

Hi all, I've been out of the scene since the 90s, but looking to get back into it.  To that purpose, I have written a small, simple android app that loads in MTF files (from MegaMek) and creates a virtual representation of the paper based record sheets from BattleTech tabletop.  Would there be interest if I shared something like this?

Features:
- Loads multiple mechs at once
- Overview shows the name and tons of the mech
- Walk/Run/Jump values that auto adjust if critical damage (See below) occurs.
- Torso twist status (in case you are like me and forget all the time)
- Weapon list with check boxes to remember which weapons you are declaring to fire
- Ammo - each piece of ammo can be tapped on to remember how many times you used it.
- Heat sinks - current/max, along with a scale to keep track of current temperature
- Pilot - Pilot and Gunnery skills, along with hits taken
- Armor and internal structure - each location indicates how much armor remains, and can be tapped on to decrease the remaining armor level (or long tapped to undo)
- Components can be tapped on to indicate destroyed areas.  Hitting weapons, leg actuators, or heat sinks auto adjusts their respective areas - for example weapons will no longer be selectable in the equipment list, speed shown will decrease, etc.
- Easily swap between loaded units
- Saves your progress.
- Tested on a tablet and phone.

I've been out of the scene since like the 90s, and I've only tested this with 2 legged designs so far.  I wrote it over a couple days so I'm sure there would be bugs.  I'm looking to run a game with some friends and we won't have access to any photocopiers and I don't know what units people want to use - hence the app. 

The app doesn't include any mech designs - you'd have to find them yourself - I don't want to run afoul of any licensing or trademark laws.  It is free (MIT License) the source code would be available on GitHub.  The app itself is very basic and just designed to help replace the paper record sheets.  I'm looking at running a game where no photocopiers exist and I don't know what units people will be using.  I would put it up on Google Play just to make it more accessible assuming there are no legal issues.

Secondly - does anyone know who I should talk to to ensure I'm not infringing on any IP or trademarks?  My goal is just to share something I made and found useful.  I've avoided any use of terms like BattleTech, Mechwarrior, BattleMech, 'Mech, etc (I use Mek instead)

Thank you

edit:  some screenshots:
« Last Edit: 14 June 2018, 18:15:12 by OldTimer »

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
Re: Virtual Record Sheet Android App
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2018, 18:35:29 »
No need to track torso twist. The only time you care is when shooting (twist doesn't change where damage hits you), and only when you are firing.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #2 on: 14 June 2018, 18:44:43 »
I'd love for something like this.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

OldTimer

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 14 June 2018, 18:50:22 »
No need to track torso twist. The only time you care is when shooting (twist doesn't change where damage hits you), and only when you are firing.
Thanks for the feedback! I've been so out of the game, there's so much I've forgotten..

It doesn't change damage?  In that case yeah, makes sense to remove.    It was the last thing I added, and only after re-reading the rules - I was under the impression that the process for attacking is:
1) every unit declares who they attack, what weapons they use, and if they twist
2) each unit takes turn firing based on the above

I figured with multiple units this might be something easily forgotten but.. if it doesn't impact where damage hits, it does seems unnecessary. 

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #4 on: 14 June 2018, 19:40:31 »
Would love something like this....my poor printer
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #5 on: 14 June 2018, 22:51:15 »
Thanks for the feedback! I've been so out of the game, there's so much I've forgotten..

It doesn't change damage?  In that case yeah, makes sense to remove.    It was the last thing I added, and only after re-reading the rules - I was under the impression that the process for attacking is:
1) every unit declares who they attack, what weapons they use, and if they twist
2) each unit takes turn firing based on the above

I figured with multiple units this might be something easily forgotten but.. if it doesn't impact where damage hits, it does seems unnecessary.

Yes you say it during the attack declaration, so that's your firing arcs adjust, but your damage arcs never change, even with torso twisting.

So no need. It is also not tracked turn to turn (assumed to be returned to middle every time (other than vehicle turrets, which can get stuck, so those need to be tracked)
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

MagnaMorbius

• Private
« Reply #6 on: 15 June 2018, 05:04:23 »
I think it's a brilliant idea, as I'm teaching my wife this game and she looked at the record sheets like they were Swedish nuclear weapon instructions translated in to Russian by an irate Frenchman. An app that lets her keep track of that and just focus on the fame would be a huge help. If you need a beta tester, I'm more than happy to assist!

Geont

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 15 June 2018, 06:31:50 »

From description and screenshots it looks as good game aid. Regarding IP infringements, try send PM to Cubby. He will probably know whom you should contact or he will gives you some information.

What is lowest Android API version or Android version that is currently supported?
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

OldTimer

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: 15 June 2018, 09:23:08 »
Thank you guys for the kind words and suggestions!

From description and screenshots it looks as good game aid. Regarding IP infringements, try send PM to Cubby. He will probably know whom you should contact or he will gives you some information.

What is lowest Android API version or Android version that is currently supported?

Sent a PM to Cubby.  I'm holding off releasing until I'm sure I'm not upsetting any of the awesome folks who actually own the Battletech trademarks.  Right now I'm targeting API 21 (Android 5 / Lollipop) 19 might be doable, but not below that due to using things like the Storage Framework (which means my app doesn't need any explicit system permissions)

If you need a beta tester, I'm more than happy to assist!
If all goes well for getting the ok to release it, I'd probably run it for a week as an open beta first, then if all goes well open it from there.

I've removed torso twisting - thinking it would be nice to have some way to designate which side owns which mech.  maybe change the background color?

OldTimer

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: 27 June 2018, 19:23:49 »
I have received permission by the amazing folks over at Catalyst Game Labs to release the app for free.  I am planning on having a short beta test on the Google Play store, then release it fully later this week.

If anyone is interested in beta testing the app, please let me know and I can send the link (waiting on Google to generate it for me right now).  All feedback is appreciated good or bad!  I am hoping to make it look a little less ugly once time permits - busy with some French training these days so my time is pretty limited.

Also posting it up on Git Hub and will share the link in case anyone wants to view the source code.

Thank you

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: 27 June 2018, 20:16:55 »
Congrats on the ok from TPTB!

I'd offer to beta test...but I've got too many irons I the fire as it is! LOL

Can't wait to see the finished product.
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #11 on: 27 June 2018, 21:04:42 »
Congrats indeed!  Et bon chance avec le Français!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #12 on: 27 June 2018, 23:13:30 »
Oh yeah, I want in.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

OldTimer

• Recruit
« Reply #13 on: 28 June 2018, 00:04:00 »
sent, should be in your message box!

Et bon chance avec le Français!

Merci Beaucoup!   :)

Geont

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 28 June 2018, 02:53:35 »
I have received permission by the amazing folks over at Catalyst Game Labs to release the app for free.  I am planning on having a short beta test on the Google Play store, then release it fully later this week.

If anyone is interested in beta testing the app, please let me know and I can send the link (waiting on Google to generate it for me right now).  All feedback is appreciated good or bad!  I am hoping to make it look a little less ugly once time permits - busy with some French training these days so my time is pretty limited.

Also posting it up on Git Hub and will share the link in case anyone wants to view the source code.

Thank you

Nice! I would like to test on my tablet (my phone has sadly Android 4.4).
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

OldTimer

• Recruit
« Reply #15 on: 28 June 2018, 07:57:50 »
PM sent.  Also I forgot to mention:

You'll need to download the MegaMek game - inside it are be the MTF files you need:

https://www.megamek.org/downloads

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 28 June 2018, 10:10:36 »
PM sent.  Also I forgot to mention:

You'll need to download the MegaMek game - inside it are be the MTF files you need:

https://www.megamek.org/downloads

Seriously an awesome feature!

OldTimer

• Recruit
« Reply #17 on: 28 June 2018, 11:03:07 »
Nice! I would like to test on my tablet (my phone has sadly Android 4.4).
It should work on your phone I just realized - API 19 is supported now.

OldTimer

• Recruit
« Reply #18 on: 01 July 2018, 22:50:21 »
Hey all I've pushed the app out to public, you can download it on the google play store called Mech Sheets - direct link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ca.coffeeshopstudio.meksheets

Source code is available here:
https://github.com/Terence-D/MechSheets

Comments, complaints, concerns - please let me know.  Thank you, hopefully you can find this useful!

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #19 on: 01 July 2018, 23:38:34 »
So far...looks good.

One thing that would be nice, if One loses a weapon, would be nice to see the weapon crossed out/redded out from the First page.

Or, at the least not doing so on mine...maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Which leads to second part. A nice user manual would be nice.

Took me a few moments to realise I could change thing by holding down on it longer to make a Pilot skill down, Tap to make skill go up.

OldTimer

• Recruit
« Reply #20 on: 02 July 2018, 00:46:04 »
So far...looks good.

One thing that would be nice, if One loses a weapon, would be nice to see the weapon crossed out/redded out from the First page.

Or, at the least not doing so on mine...maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Which leads to second part. A nice user manual would be nice.

Took me a few moments to realise I could change thing by holding down on it longer to make a Pilot skill down, Tap to make skill go up.

That's odd - it should be crossing the weapon out when you tap on any of it's components.  Can you tell me which Mech you loaded and what weapon you clicked on?  It sounds like a bug I need to fix!

I'll add your suggestion to the initial help window - I'll also add a menu option to re show the help after the initial viewing.

Thanks for the input it's very much appreciated  :thumbsup:

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 02 July 2018, 07:38:46 »
Old Timer...I cannot access my MicroSD card on either my phone or tablet. The program wants it to be local to the device. Can this be made into an option?

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #22 on: 02 July 2018, 08:57:58 »
That's odd - it should be crossing the weapon out when you tap on any of it's components.  Can you tell me which Mech you loaded and what weapon you clicked on?  It sounds like a bug I need to fix!

I'll add your suggestion to the initial help window - I'll also add a menu option to re show the help after the initial viewing.

Thanks for the input it's very much appreciated  :thumbsup:

Battle Cobra Prime.

I've clicked on the lasers, they red out on the COMPONENT page, but the overview page still shows available.

I tried with the double heat sink, and it does bring Heat Sinks down from 10/10 to 9/10....however, clicking the second slot of a double heat sink further drops the available heat sinks from 9/10 to 8/10

Final note, CLAN ENDO STEEL should be greyout like CLAN FERRO FIBROUS as it is not a valid critable item.

OldTimer

• Recruit
« Reply #23 on: 02 July 2018, 10:56:13 »
Old Timer...I cannot access my MicroSD card on either my phone or tablet. The program wants it to be local to the device. Can this be made into an option?

It should be able to access the SD Card - the "file choosing" system I'm using is actually Googles. 
I just tried it on my tablet - to access the SD Card it looks like you have to tap on the 3 dots on the top right corner and choose Show SD Card.  Then if you click on the 3 lines on the top left corner it should make the SD Card visible - try that out and let me know if you still have problems.  I'll add a note to the help screen for this.

OldTimer

• Recruit
« Reply #24 on: 02 July 2018, 10:58:31 »
Battle Cobra Prime.

I've clicked on the lasers, they red out on the COMPONENT page, but the overview page still shows available.

I tried with the double heat sink, and it does bring Heat Sinks down from 10/10 to 9/10....however, clicking the second slot of a double heat sink further drops the available heat sinks from 9/10 to 8/10

Final note, CLAN ENDO STEEL should be greyout like CLAN FERRO FIBROUS as it is not a valid critable item.
Ah that explains it - i haven't played around much with the clan tech yet.  I'll work on addressing these issues today.  The Double Heat sink thing could be... interesting to fix. The rest should be easy. 

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #25 on: 02 July 2018, 11:02:03 »
Ah that explains it - i haven't played around much with the clan tech yet.  I'll work on addressing these issues today.  The Double Heat sink thing could be... interesting to fix. The rest should be easy.

Alright.

I tried with a Hussar as well (500-D I think, with the LBX), it also does not show the weapon unavailable with a hit to any component.

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 02 July 2018, 11:21:05 »
It should be able to access the SD Card - the "file choosing" system I'm using is actually Googles. 
I just tried it on my tablet - to access the SD Card it looks like you have to tap on the 3 dots on the top right corner and choose Show SD Card.  Then if you click on the 3 lines on the top left corner it should make the SD Card visible - try that out and let me know if you still have problems.  I'll add a note to the help screen for this.

Hahaha...I'm a sleep deprived idiot. Serves me right for trying it at 3:30am.

It works

OldTimer

• Recruit
« Reply #27 on: 02 July 2018, 16:48:34 »
All good Dragon41673,  I am sure you won't be the only person that will ask that! :)

Ok update has been released, hopefully it addresses all currently mentioned issues and bugs - I've tested them as best I can with a few mechs but if I missed anything let me know!

Version 1.1:
 - Greatly expanded the Help text - it can now be reviewed by tapping on the '?' in the menu bar. (if anything needs better explaining please let me know)
 - Fixed Clan Endo Steel being a selectable component
 - Fixed weapons not being disabled when destroyed
 - Fixed how double heat sink damage is calculated.
 - Other minor tweaks and fixes
 - Fixed file handling to be more graceful and less crash prone if an invalid file is selected.

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 02 July 2018, 18:51:23 »
Old Timer...I'm back from work, and on my Tablet, Asus TF701T, Android 4.4.2...the selection for accessing the SD card is now gone due to the update. I was able to access the SD card on my phone while being at work, so I checked my phone and the ability to select it is gone...but I'm still able to access the SD card.

OldTimer

• Recruit
« Reply #29 on: 02 July 2018, 18:58:58 »
Old Timer...I'm back from work, and on my Tablet, Asus TF701T, Android 4.4.2...the selection for accessing the SD card is now gone due to the update. I was able to access the SD card on my phone while being at work, so I checked my phone and the ability to select it is gone...but I'm still able to access the SD card.
That's... odd.. I didn't modify anything to do with file selection.  In fact that whole screen is a pre made system by Google called the Storage Access Framework - I don't think I could modify it even if I wanted to (for example I wanted to filter out only MTF files, but I can't, there's no option for that)

Try rebooting?  Is the SD Card visible outside of my application? 

The only code I modified related to loading files is, after it's loaded in a file if it has trouble recognizing it it'll show a message.