Author Topic: Battletech Beatdowns in Northern VA  (Read 141640 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Battletech Beatdowns in Northern VA
« Reply #720 on: 15 March 2020, 17:41:48 »
It's a pretty minor tweak to the odds, so I'd go with 1 or 2 points at most...

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #721 on: 15 March 2020, 18:29:08 »
Jester, Huzzah Hobbies just posted the following on Facebook:

"Starting Monday 3/16 we will be open normal business hours for retail business but our gaming halls will be closed indefinitely. We are concerned for our customers, community and employees and believe this is the best approach for the time being."

If we still want to play and just keep it smaller I'm willing to offer my place south of Springfield.  Or if someone else has more table space.

Space Cat

• Corporal
« Reply #722 on: 15 March 2020, 18:55:49 »
I just saw that. Let me introduce you to the Space Cat Gaming Emporium of Fairfax. I've asked the wife and if we get the green light from my co-worker getting tested we're pretty much clear to run a game here. I've got a table that can handle 2-3 battlemats and plenty of physical space for folks ( assuming it's not like...a shitton of people). If we can get a head count before hand I'll get the final go ahead.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #723 on: 15 March 2020, 19:40:49 »
If either of those falls through, I might get clearance from my wife (and daughter... the gaming table is right outside her room).  Jeff has seen it at least, and knows there's enough room.

Space Cat

• Corporal
« Reply #724 on: 15 March 2020, 20:38:53 »
So I just got word from work: our possible patient zero is in fact not a patient zero. Tests came back negative thankfully.

My play space here is a 4 1/2 by 4 1/2 square table with seating for eight (more if you don't mind standing). I've got an island staging area next to it for dice, minis, record sheets, whiskey, etc. No animals aside from the actual space cat (I know some people may have allergies, etc). Play space is on the second floor so there's one set of stairs to navigate for anyone with mobility issues (lord knows my knees don't love our stairs sometimes). The wife has volunteered to make a couple of baked goods if it happens here. Map location is the Fair Oaks area in Fairfax county (I'm not sure where everyone is coming from/distances/etc.).

Do we have a headcount for the 28th? Usually I run a monthly board game group out of here but its been canceled due to the impending apocalypse. It typically runs 6-10 people, if we decide to do it here I assume we can field about the same without issue.
« Last Edit: 15 March 2020, 20:41:44 by Space Cat »

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #725 on: 15 March 2020, 21:23:21 »
Space Cat or Daryk would be preferable locations for sure.  I'm down and Faor Oaks is better for most of us.  Once a decision gets made I can post or we can just bring in the core folks to keep it smaller.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #726 on: 15 March 2020, 23:53:47 »
Yeah, looks like that if we want to game this month, we'll have to do it at someone's house.  That's fine by me.  Whichever location seems best for the majority.
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #727 on: 16 March 2020, 00:32:31 »
As long as I don't have to trouble myself on where to park, I believe all of those options are viable for me.  They all are potentially closer to me as well.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #728 on: 16 March 2020, 03:46:08 »
Oh right... the 28th... As far as I know, the wedding is still on, so I can't make it this month (at least not yet).

Space Cat

• Corporal
« Reply #729 on: 16 March 2020, 09:19:10 »
Regarding the date of the game: I think the main reason we were scheduled for the 28th is Huzzah had events planned and thus didn't have the space (though I could be wrong) if memory serves?

I know it would be super short notice but if we want to play this weekend I could likely swing it. I don't think it's going to matter to the wife either way since we've both officially received the "if you can, telework" orders from our offices and can stare at engineering docs/spreadsheets from home. Let me know if this piques any interest and I'll pass it along to her and get back.

Just wanted to throw that out there since Daryk still looks like he'll be out on the 28th.

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #730 on: 16 March 2020, 09:30:19 »
I'm up for a game this weekend though it also doesnt have to be the campaign game

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #731 on: 16 March 2020, 11:05:16 »
If you all want to play, by all means do so.  My father's bday is this Saturday so I wont be able to make it.
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #732 on: 16 March 2020, 17:23:12 »
Ah, the logistics challenges of middle age gamers...  ::)

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #733 on: 16 March 2020, 18:44:30 »
So if it looks like we're only going to have 3-5 people on the 28th, I'm more inclined to do something different from the campaign.  Because if most of the people arent going to be there, then I dont want them to miss out on the action.

We could do a team game sort of like what we did months ago; everyone gets a card to let them know what team they are on but that's hidden knowledge.  We'd just have to decide on how much BV each person hets.

I could throw together a Clan vs IS scenario, Wolf vs Jade Falcon or a WoB vs Clan game.

Space Cat

• Corporal
« Reply #734 on: 16 March 2020, 19:47:15 »
Ah, the logistics challenges of middle age gamers...  ::)

Quoted for truth. Organizing the monthly board game is like wrangling cats. And I've wrangled a cat before, with a lasso from the back of a horse.

If a couple of people want to get together at my place this weekend for a small game I've tentatively cleared it with the wife. I'm also down for doing the alternate scenario on the 28th and still volunteer our place. I'll do anything that lets me put metal on the table.

I'm using this time to knock out the queue and am 70% done with a Star League era company. Complete with LAM and a Mackie cause why not?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #735 on: 16 March 2020, 19:49:07 »
A LAM?  Pics?  Please!  :drool:

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #736 on: 16 March 2020, 20:09:25 »
Spacecat, yes I'm down.  Daryk, what about you?

Jester, what do you mean only 3-5?  Did you talk to Ed, James, others?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #737 on: 16 March 2020, 20:22:07 »
I'll have to find my allergy meds and permission, but I think both won't be too hard to find before Saturday...

Space Cat

• Corporal
« Reply #738 on: 16 March 2020, 20:41:24 »
A LAM?  Pics?  Please!  :drool:

I'll get some pics up once I've got some more paint on them. Current roster is:
Mackie, Atlas, Highlander, Flashman
Champion (modded the legs so they actually look like its fast), Icarus II, Kyudo, Guillotine
Hussar, Thorn, Mongoose-Gunslinger, Light LAM (honestly it could be either a wasp or stinger) in Airmech Mode

It's a motley bunch but I think it'll look good once I'm done. The Star League green (ish) came out a lot better than I expected.

Jatska

• Recruit
« Reply #739 on: 16 March 2020, 20:48:41 »
I wont be making any game this month, I am in self quarantine after my dad attended Church. The organist there was confirmed to have been in close contact with a confirmed case and possibly exposed my dad, and thus exposing me. So far no signs, but playing it safe.

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #740 on: 16 March 2020, 21:53:28 »
Spacecat, dod you have something in mind for this weekend?  If not I can find something and print out sheets and stuff.

As for the 28th, I'd like to keep with the campaign just to keep it moving along, understanding some cant be there, but such is life. 
« Last Edit: 16 March 2020, 21:55:01 by Tinyozora »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #741 on: 17 March 2020, 03:10:37 »
I wont be making any game this month, I am in self quarantine after my dad attended Church. The organist there was confirmed to have been in close contact with a confirmed case and possibly exposed my dad, and thus exposing me. So far no signs, but playing it safe.
Yikes!  Stay safe!

I'm ok with the Campaign continuing on the 28th even though I can't be there.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #742 on: 17 March 2020, 11:04:26 »
Jester, what do you mean only 3-5?  Did you talk to Ed, James, others?

I have not spoken to any of the others.  I just assumed that not many people would be able to make it for various reasons; the virus, not knowing about the change in venue, etc.

We can still run the campaign.

Space Cat

• Corporal
« Reply #743 on: 17 March 2020, 11:33:08 »
Spacecat, dod you have something in mind for this weekend?  If not I can find something and print out sheets and stuff.

As for the 28th, I'd like to keep with the campaign just to keep it moving along, understanding some cant be there, but such is life.

I've got no specific plans/scenarios/etc in mind at the moment. If you want to come up with something for whomever shows I'm down with that.
Do you use a site or app to create forces, etc? I was trying to find a BV calculator/army builder but haven't come up with a decent one yet.
And do we have a headcount on whom might be coming?

I'm actually going to swing by Huzzah this afternoon and grab a second battlemat, maybe a mech or two. They've started only letting ten folks in the store at a time.

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #744 on: 17 March 2020, 12:28:12 »
Spacecat, if you're willing to share me your address in a private message, I can start touching base with people for interest this weekend and next.  I'll not put it in the groups but have people reach out to me to message it to them. 

I use Solaris Skunk Werks, it has a battleforce generator you can use and change pilots so you can get updated BV.  I'll use one of the historical turning points.  I got Galtor (Kurita vs Davion 3025) or Misery (WD vs Kurita 3028) that I think would be cool to run.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #745 on: 17 March 2020, 14:07:33 »
I'm totally in for either of those scenarios!  :thumbsup:

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #746 on: 17 March 2020, 16:09:39 »
pick a number between 2-5

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #747 on: 17 March 2020, 16:39:09 »
I texted you 3... any hint as to what that actually means?  ???

Space Cat

• Corporal
« Reply #748 on: 17 March 2020, 16:44:35 »
I had never taken a look at the actual Battletech campaign booklets but recently got my hands on The Fall of Terra and the FedCom Civil War and they're surprisingly good reads/scenario packs. Something else to add to the list of things to collect. My wife may kill me.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #749 on: 17 March 2020, 16:45:58 »
I like the 3025 better, but the later stuff doesn't appear to be bad...