Author Topic: Battletech Beatdowns in Northern VA  (Read 140440 times)

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
Re: Battletech Beatdowns in Northern VA
« Reply #750 on: 17 March 2020, 18:44:32 »
more than likely it will be a company+ of the Ryuken-San versus two lances of Beta Regiment.  I'll do the building out the forces this week.

This is a simple enough scenario, it's not perhaps balanced entirely, but it's straight up fight.  If people would prefer, we can do a more objective based one instead?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #751 on: 17 March 2020, 18:50:25 »
That one IS objective based... kill as many Kuritans as possible while preserving as many Dragoons as possible... At some point, withdrawal becomes the right answer.

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #752 on: 17 March 2020, 21:46:14 »
I think that's a different one.  This one is purely completely destroy the enemy one way or the other.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #753 on: 18 March 2020, 03:13:13 »
Well, it was kind of the overall theme of Misery...

Space Cat

• Corporal
« Reply #754 on: 18 March 2020, 09:19:45 »
Alrighty, so looks like it's my place this weekend. We can fit up to about ~8 ish folks in here (not counting myself) with no real issue.
Tinyozora has been kind enough to sort out the scenario and points so we're set for that.

Start Time: The usual high noon (12:00 p.m.)
End Time: Lets shoot for 5-6, that gives us plenty of time to get a game (maybe two) in and won't drive the spouse batty.

Snacks/Drinks: We'll probably have a couple of cooked items on hand, but it'll be bring your own unless you're a fan of water or whiskey and health-food. The vain goal of following doctors orders continues so there aren't any soft-drinks or traditional snacks in the house. If you like whiskey (which counts as a health food) I will have my stash on hand (I might have a few beers laying about too that I've sworn off of) and with one or two exceptions it's always open to gamers. Be warned, if you consume said whiskey I will tell you it's life history (I've got a few things that don't export out of Scotland on hand). 

I'm not sure what the play-at-home standards are for adult beverages but I've got no problem with a drink or two consumed as long as folks are responsible about it (and I think everyone in this group is past the point of joining the shitfaced train).

There's neighborhood parking and you can fit two vehicles in my "driveway" (just don't smack the garage door, that's definitely happened before). There's also parking , I've been told, across the street from my neighborhood at twin office buildings that are closed on the weekend. It's a short walk from there but I feel that we won't have to worry about it.

As mentioned, there's a cat on premises but he's probably going to hide upstairs far away from any interaction with us. Just wanted to FYI for anyone with allergies.

I know Tiny, Daryk, and Firesprocket have expressed interest. If you want to make it shoot me a message and I'll hit you up with the address and my phone number in case you need directions on parking, etc.

Oh, and when you do show up please knock instead of ringing the doorbell. The actual Space Cat haaaaaaates the doorbell.

Finally, if you feel sick, are exhibiting symptoms, or have had contact with someone who is infected as much as I would love to have you here to roll dice please stay the ****** home. One reason I feel comfortable hosting is I've got no elderly family in the area I have to interact with or care for (my mother is posted up on her farm with a shotgun, her pack of dogs, and enough dry goods to last til the apocalypse comes, so I'm unconcerned) but some of us may not have that luxury. Lets have fun with the giant robot murder, but do so responsibly.

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #755 on: 18 March 2020, 10:03:05 »
I've reached out to four more on the FB, with confirmation from one and interest from two others.  So should be a good group.

Space Cat

• Corporal
« Reply #756 on: 18 March 2020, 11:02:27 »
Crap, now I have to clean at least the first two floors of the place lest my wife never allow me to live down the shame.  xp

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #757 on: 18 March 2020, 16:18:06 »
I am allergic, but will take my drugs before arrival (yes, I found them).  I've been living cheerfully cat free for five years now, but I've been put on notice that will end after another year.

I'll see about bringing some rum to complement your whiskey...  ^-^

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #758 on: 19 March 2020, 23:07:46 »
Today work released the details that 2 people in another office test positive for COVD19.  While we had no cases in our office, we did have someone that was on a stretcher outside the building for treatment this morning.  It's not uncommon that stress related, general anxiety, or other less severe instance that they call 911.  Not know what the reason was though and the fact they didn't scrub down and disinfect the building last weekend like they said they would I'm going to skip this weekend and next weekend so no one potentially gets exposed to anyone here gets exposed either.

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #759 on: 20 March 2020, 10:15:06 »
Sprocket, you ok with us continuing the campaign next week, or do you want us to wait?

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #760 on: 20 March 2020, 10:57:54 »
Yeah that's fine.  I'd rather be there than be at home, but I would rather folks presses on.

Space Cat

• Corporal
« Reply #761 on: 20 March 2020, 11:42:32 »
We respect and salute your decision to not expose us to the plague more than necessary.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #762 on: 20 March 2020, 14:06:18 »
The wedding on the 28th is still on, but if that changes, I'll need a ride as usual...

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #763 on: 20 March 2020, 15:54:58 »
The wedding on the 28th is still on, but if that changes, I'll need a ride as usual...
Given the state of the world right now, that seems nuts.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #764 on: 20 March 2020, 16:06:33 »
Assuming it's a go, I'm just part of the sword arch... the only guy I'll be close to is one of my co-workers.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #765 on: 23 March 2020, 18:18:41 »
So how'd the game go this past weekend?
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #766 on: 23 March 2020, 18:26:14 »
I think the Combine still had a chance of winning when we called it, but I don't think anyone else agrees with me.  The Dragoon Stalker and Awesome were FUBAR, and the back of the Thunderbolt was open, while the BattleMaster had a head hit.  All the Combine had to do was down one of those to win, and though we had neutered both their AC/20s and half their Wolverines, they certainly had enough firepower to pull it off.

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #767 on: 23 March 2020, 21:53:44 »
Jester, Daryk kind of jumped in without explaining.  We did a setting from HTP Misery with 8 elite Wolfs Dragoons running across 2 companies of regular Ryoken in consecutive battles.  The full ryoken force had a 2 to1 weight and base bv, but only a few thousand advantage on adjusted BV. 

First company got split and defeated in detail though it did take awhile.  A ton of luck for the Dragoona led to easy enough victory.  Then the second company came and it looked hairy there for a few rounds, but concentrated fire on the biggest threats by the Dragoons and split fire from the Ryuken led to an eventual Dragoon significant victory.  18 ryoken mechs destroyed for 2 Dragoons with significant armor damage, probably disabled or dead if we continued. 

The dragoon luck continued for the 2nd force.  Ryoken lost three mechs to head kills, two others to pilot unconsciousness, and three mechs to flooded legs when they ran across ice and fell in with open armor.

There are a few things I'd change if given a redo to make it more balanced I think.

Space Cat

• Corporal
« Reply #768 on: 24 March 2020, 06:40:34 »
On the upside I have learned:

What happens when a mech with open armor falls into water.
Risk vs reward on chargers and DFAs.
If there is an environmental hazzard I am doomed to trigger it.
Any time I fall I will crit on myself at least once.

The head hit kills against some of our heaviest units (especially that Archer at the start) really hurt.

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #769 on: 24 March 2020, 16:11:45 »
yeah, dice being dice can make something that should be closer not that close unfortunately.  Was also my first organized scenario so i learned as i said as well.

Jester: Pending a very small chance, right now it's just you, me, and Spacecat.  MAYBE a 4th, but it's unknown.  I'd say at this point it may be worth having an alternate option.  I can do up another one, or you can if you got something in mind.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #770 on: 24 March 2020, 18:15:16 »
Just to be clear, the 4th is me... the wedding is still on, but the sword arch has been reduced to two (one being me), and we have to wait outside the church, so weather is now the go/no-go criteria.  The call will made on Friday...

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #771 on: 24 March 2020, 18:16:54 »
yeah...you....was totally you all along...  ;D

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #772 on: 24 March 2020, 20:48:51 »
yeah, dice being dice can make something that should be closer not that close unfortunately.  Was also my first organized scenario so i learned as i said as well.

Jester: Pending a very small chance, right now it's just you, me, and Spacecat.  MAYBE a 4th, but it's unknown.  I'd say at this point it may be worth having an alternate option.  I can do up another one, or you can if you got something in mind.

I can throw something together.  I had an itch to do a “bridge too far” type game during the Tukayyid campaign in preparation for the CGL Clan invasion release.

Either that or a Liao vs Davion game during the FEDCOM civil war where the Capellans are looking to take some stuff back they lost in the war of 3039.
« Last Edit: 24 March 2020, 21:28:25 by Jester006 »
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #773 on: 24 March 2020, 22:00:11 »
I'd love to play some cappies, please give me alllll the toys :D

Space Cat

• Corporal
« Reply #774 on: 25 March 2020, 07:15:43 »
I'd love to play some cappies, please give me alllll the toys :D

After our discussion last week this kind of terrifies me.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #775 on: 25 March 2020, 15:11:52 »
As well it should...  ^-^

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #776 on: 26 March 2020, 15:03:41 »
Alrighty then!  I got a 3067 Liao vs Davion scenario drawn up.

The context is that while Davion are fighting the FCCW, Liao is taking advantage of the situation and has been raiding some planets.  During one of these raids, local Davion forces managed to be near by to respond. 

This caused the Capellan forces to scatter and now one of their lances is being pursued by a company of Fed Suns.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #777 on: 26 March 2020, 16:58:43 »
Sooooo tempting... I can only hope the wedding (or rather, my part in it) is cancelled at this point, though...

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #778 on: 26 March 2020, 17:16:46 »
So are we going to be playing at Space Cat's place?

If so, is there something I can bring to show my appreciation to Mrs. Space Cat for giving us a place to need be nerds?  A bottle of wine?  Marinated chicken?  Or, given what's going on, some toilet paper/paper towels?
« Last Edit: 26 March 2020, 17:50:59 by Jester006 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #779 on: 26 March 2020, 17:23:10 »
I brought a bottle of rum last week, so...  ^-^

Register