Author Topic: Advice need on Mech choice  (Read 5136 times)

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
Re: Advice need on Mech choice
« Reply #30 on: 20 March 2013, 16:01:05 »
Definitely go for the Royal Highlander; the jump jets makes all the difference on a 3/5 chassis. If you're a 3/5 'Mech and you commit to a fight, you have to win it, because you don't have the tactical maneuverability to prevent any other design short of an Urbanmech from chasing you down. But if you've got jump jets, you can at least try to use intervening terrain to slow your pursuers down enough to make a fighting retreat.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #31 on: 20 March 2013, 16:10:57 »
Highlander.

No contest. Good all-ranges arsenal in every variant, and capable of unusual tactical mobility for an assault 'Mech.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
  • "What We Have Here, Is Failure To Communicate"
« Reply #32 on: 20 March 2013, 17:54:42 »
Since it is an old Star League design, the answer is simple:

Grab a Nightstar and say "screw you" to everyone else.

Sell off the extra trait points for other skills or upgrades to your current skills.

Wasn't the nightstar only a SL design in so far as it was DESIGNED then? and only saw production recently? I thought it waspart of the extended Marauder Family design line, comprised of the Maelstrom, Dragonfire and Nightstar right? Altho I do agree it makes for a really good ride. Though  Ined to ask how many levels of these traits did he take, because that limits what you can take.

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #33 on: 20 March 2013, 23:31:26 »
Another vote for the Highlander.   One of my favorite assault 'Mechs.   I would go for the Royal or Comstar's HGN-736. Stay away from the XL versions, which take the main strengths from the 'Mech away.  Or if you can finagle it, the Clan IIc version is pretty nice as well (and has a much better mini sculpt IMO, if that is important at all.)

Akira213

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: 22 March 2013, 07:55:08 »
Wasn't the nightstar only a SL design in so far as it was DESIGNED then? and only saw production recently? ...
that was the Devastator. Only a few prototypes were build in SL and they all went with Alex.
"What should I want in heaven when all my best friends burn in hell..."

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
« Reply #35 on: 22 March 2013, 08:13:02 »
Wasn't the nightstar only a SL design in so far as it was DESIGNED then? and only saw production recently? I thought it waspart of the extended Marauder Family design line, comprised of the Maelstrom, Dragonfire and Nightstar right? Altho I do agree it makes for a really good ride. Though  Ined to ask how many levels of these traits did he take, because that limits what you can take.

According to the write-up in the original TRO 3058 it was rushed into production by the SLDF high command after the Amaris Civil War, but the production facilities were destroyed very early in the 1st Succession War and the design team was killed in a freak accident at another factory, hence a roughly 250 year break in production.
Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
  • "What We Have Here, Is Failure To Communicate"
« Reply #36 on: 22 March 2013, 14:47:51 »
According to the write-up in the original TRO 3058 it was rushed into production by the SLDF high command after the Amaris Civil War, but the production facilities were destroyed very early in the 1st Succession War and the design team was killed in a freak accident at another factory, hence a roughly 250 year break in production.
But i was right on the other two yes? I knew at least one of them had a VERY short production run, so short as to be almost non-existent on the battlefield. A good chocie is the Highlander though. Devastator is again a very good choice, and one of my favorites is the Berzerker. IF you are looking at upper end assault mechs.

Akira213

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #37 on: 23 March 2013, 06:04:17 »
But i was right on the other two yes? I knew at least one of them had a VERY short production run, so short as to be almost non-existent on the battlefield. ...

Maelstrom: Never made it off the drawing board in SL. Production start was in 3056 on Kathil (lastet until 3069, then Kathil was bombed), 3059 on Solaris VII (lastet until 3068, then WoB invaded. My guess is any production sites were a primary target and probably destroyed) and 3059 on Midway (production still running).

Dragon Fire: Same. Never made it off the drawing board. Production start in 3058 on Storfors. IIRC the line was shut down in 3068 by WoB, and new lines opened in the same year on Epsilon Eridani, Caph and New Earth. And since there is no OBJECTIVES:REPUBLIC OF THE SPHERE (which is a REALLY shame !!!) I don't know what happened to those lines in Jihad.
"What should I want in heaven when all my best friends burn in hell..."