Author Topic: Teaser for a proposed...thing.  (Read 134123 times)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Teaser for a proposed...thing.
« Reply #960 on: 16 January 2020, 07:53:44 »
Nha Tranh, Street of Lanterns...

Nick saw the assassin in time.  a man concealing a gun, in a city where weapons are encouraged to be carried openly.  Jack spotted the car-bomb nearly a block away.

They both missed the third leg of the attempt, but really, even Cylons have limits.

In step-by-step, Nick interposed himself, sweeping the duchess into the arms of Jack, as the gunman drew his weapon and fired. the up-armoring of his chassis deflected three rounds total, before his blade-fingers swiped the shooter's arm off at the elbow.

Jack curled around her, protecting her with his body, while feeding tac-data that let Nick pop the bomb in place with his left arm machine-gun.  The four rounds fired, the casing plate for their propellant spinning out into the air, both Cylons sweeping the area with sensors while broadcasting the emergency signal.

This is at two seconds' time.  Two seconds ago, Elizabeth was walking ahead of them, enjoying the morning air.

The backup, the one on the second floor of a storefront, sent a 13mm tungsten/depleted uranium slug from a velocity enhanced zeus heavy rifle.  This went through Jack's up-armored torso, into their duchess through her back, shattering her spine, transiting one lung and causing bleeds in the arteries from her heart.

Three seconds time, Nick was already across the street, up the side of the building and through the window the assassin had used.  The assassin was halfway through the door when he caught him.

Outside, at four seconds, the duty platoon from the protective detail had a corpsman working on the Duchess in the street, stabilizing her, while Coast Guard Marines and Coast Guard Cylon marines swept the block for more suspects.

Thirty seconds, Liz was still alive, being loaded into a Medevac Raptor.

The signal went out.

no more time, act now or she dies.

at the Coast Guard National Labs on Spider Moon, an Operating room was already being prepped, and despite her misgivings, Ellen Spider-Moon 100, who was once termed 'Mengele' by her Scientist Caste comrades, was suiting up, cultured organs were already prepared, she had been busy, working to make the Liberator organism safe for use.  This would be the first real test on a human being.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #961 on: 16 January 2020, 08:16:41 »
Hue, less than an hour later.

"do they know who did it?" Nathan Roshak's tone was calm, even and absent any of his traditional smirking humor.

"They have two suspects in custody-one was 'dis-armed' rather literally, the other was only lightly injured, both have been swept for suicide devices." the Coast Guard officer standing in his headquarters was one of the Cylons.  a Sharon, from the Vin Drin Lap base.

"Where is she now?"

"She is in surgery at the CGAS Spider Moon." she told him, "we know the two of you were...intimate.  several times.  Officers are also informing her Brother and her Designated Heir."

"I want to know who is behind this." Nathan enunciated.

"the suspects are currently in interrogation."

"I want my people to have access, and I want any results, any names, Leftenant." he was still holding himself with iron calm.

"I am not authorized to promise that." she said, "We still do not know...you have to understand, if the source is not domestic, then it is foreign, you represent a foreign government."

"Yes, and our holdings here are blocked from assault so long as Elizabeth is alive and the Federated Commonwealth honors their treaty! I have nothing to gain and much to lose by her death."

"She is not dead."

"I also want to see her." he insisted, "As soon as physically possible."

the Sharon acknowledged his concerns, promised to forward his demands, and left.

Nathan burned with rage and worry.  someone almost killed her. part of him identifed it as sentiment, weakness.  but he was past caring.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

willis

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #962 on: 16 January 2020, 08:25:17 »
OK, this is an unexpected plot twist, did not expect the Liberator organism to be used just yet, and I wonder if the memory transfer device is ready yet as well?
 :o

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #963 on: 16 January 2020, 09:04:35 »
Somewhere...

"Well, shit, Lizzie.  how did that happen?"  Penny asked.

where am I?

"well, where do you think? someone shot you.  You're not dead, because Alicia Li is hyper-paranoid and you've been making a list of enemies. Pull yourself together, I hate the featureless white space look."

"I've been shot...again." Elizabeth sighed.  "I remember a gun-"

"Not the one that got you." Penny said, "You're still aware, we're not on fire so I guess you're still alive. lucky twice now.  I guess this is where I ask if you want to hang on, or you want to move on."

"what?"

"Do you want to hang on to what's left of your life, or do you want to move on to what comes after.  Mind, I don't recommend the second one.  not for you. I know, we're supposed to pitch how it's your time, bla-bla-bla..."  Penny morphed in front of her, "...but where you're bound, littlebit, you don't want to go."

"Wrath." her mother said.
"Greed." Condit's mouth spoke.
"Vanity." she saw her own face.
"Gluttony."
"Lust." Nathan Roshak's face spoke.
"Sloth." one of the Wolverine officers she met said.
"Pride." it was herself, again.

"yeah, I know." Liz said, "stunted spiritual progress, I have murdered men, broken people financially, and foresworn god. I know where I'm bound, but I was born damned."

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #964 on: 16 January 2020, 09:47:43 »
If you're going to hell anyway, you may as well enjoy the ride  8)
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #965 on: 16 January 2020, 09:52:46 »
If you're going to hell anyway, you may as well enjoy the ride  8)
and make sure you have paved your way with good intentions.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #966 on: 16 January 2020, 10:27:39 »
Interrogation 2, Vin Drin Lap Coast Guard base, Kowloon...

"Sonny Blievelt."  Chief Sithers folded the file open.  "LCAF 3035 to 3040, transfer to LIC in '41, lots of black ink in your file but there's an interesting note about confinement at Niflheim facility nineteen in 3051." she leaned back, "so, what did you do?  They didn't kill you, but they put you in an asteroid prison in a system nobody stops at to recharge anymore."

he stiffened at that.

She put the file on the table, "Would you like me to tell you the coordinates? because according to Loki, you're still in a locked ward sucking down the really good drugs, an insurance policy of sorts, or they want you to tell them something and you proved too strong?"

she laid the open file in front of him, "Would you like to see the awards you don't get until you're dead?  Who gave you the mission?"

he stared at her.

"I have all day. she's alive, you failed." Sithers continued.  "I imagine there is some professional pride in there. you had her properly predicted, your shot was designed to penetrate an up-armored Centurion at one hundred fifty meters, your bullet pierced her heart-partially, but that's within the ratio of errors, and your distraction might have worked. all in all, as close to perfection as you could have come, and still failed."

she sighed, "let's talk about your childhood..."

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #967 on: 16 January 2020, 10:36:18 »
Oh dear. Another Loki Special. I remember the cyborg kids from waaaaay back several versions ago...

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #968 on: 16 January 2020, 12:22:40 »
hour 12...

Twelve hours since we captured the hit team.  Alicia Li sits down across from the shooter.

it's the same questions, phrased a little differently.  water is offered. He doesn't respond, she continues.  It's nonstop pressure, part one of the interrogation process.

In four hours, I'll be back in there, reading his body language, asking the same questions, showing him his file, showing him pictures of the scene. It's the theater, usually with interrogations you're trying to get a perp to slip up, throw a tell, deviate from his alibi.

we're not looking for an alibi.  Conspiracy cases are usually a little easier, because people who work in conspiracies are suspicious of each other, you can use the prisoner's dilemma to trip them up, most of the time.  Even the educated ones.

but these guys are a team, they got orders from higher, so they know to keep their mouths shut, trained on how to block body-language reading by professionals.

She'll sweat him, while I'm catching a nap.  one thing we're not doing, is giving him the chance to take a nap, eventually, the body's needs override the will, he'll want that water.

and one of us will give it to him.  and then, maybe after another twelve hours, or twenty four, he'll be dog-ass tired and loopy as ******.  and one of us, will let him have a nap.

and then, the other one will wake his ass up.  start it over again.

Then, one of two things will happen;  someone will show up with a release order for real, and we'll know who else is involved.  or two; we'll fabricate a release order, and he'll do what good agents do-he'll go to his on-world contact, to get swept for the bug, and from there, he'll make his report.

because he's a good agent, and if we didn't have the weird shit going on at the National Lab, Her Grace would, in fact, be a corpse right now, rather than being maybe-a-corpse if the experiments fail.

We both will make a point of insisting she survived, then describing why she didn't, letting that 'slip' as if we were amatuers or local county-mounties trying to sweat a suspect.

You can tell it in his eyes; he doesn't respect us, doesn't respect our professional training.  why should he? He's one of the elite, Loki, the Commonwealth's super-commandos, unbreakable.

One thing you learn at ground school, though: Nobody is unbreakable.  Nobody.  You just have to figure the angles, what they expect. show 'em what they expect to see, let them see what they believe is real.

Somewhere on another site, Coast Guard Radiomen are working with corporate espionage guys, sifting through data on supposedly secure servers.  It's how we got his file, the one without the redactions, that he doesn't see when I'm in there with his edited file, the one from LIC's records division, the one we got with a Subpoena and the Archon-Prince's order.

I have my own theory.  someone was financing big things with the money they were siphoning, the stuff the Audits were uncovering, the people we were bringing in, it scared somebody, or pissed them off, so they didn't start with the cheap ones, the mercs, they went straight for the well-regarded professionals, and tried to make it LOOK like a cheap hit.

One way or another, Sonny here is going to give up the info. It's just a matter of time, and method.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #969 on: 16 January 2020, 12:45:03 »
Five minutes in a locked room, and I'm sure that a certain Jade Falcon would have Sonny signing like a canary.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #970 on: 16 January 2020, 12:56:25 »
Of course, if the whole download works, then Liz Ngo becomes Cylon Model 13... Victor really can have one of her for every planet in the FedCom... ;)

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #971 on: 16 January 2020, 12:58:33 »
Of course, if the whole download works, then Liz Ngo becomes Cylon Model 13... Victor really can have one of her for every planet in the FedCom... ;)
*Victor sits bolt upright in bed, covered in sweat, a horrible dream slowly fading from his mind*

"That's in: no more cheese before bed!"

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #972 on: 16 January 2020, 13:25:15 »
*Victor sits bolt upright in bed, covered in sweat, a horrible dream slowly fading from his mind*

"That's in: no more cheese before bed!"

"The Federated Commonwealth: Proud new subsidiary of Ngo Industries."

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #973 on: 16 January 2020, 14:53:26 »

or, if she can be uploaded into multiple places, why not into a Caspar Mk III as well
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #974 on: 16 January 2020, 15:54:19 »
Five minutes in a locked room, and I'm sure that a certain Jade Falcon would have Sonny signing like a canary.
any methods used to get a confession that quickly would probably see the evidence thrown out in court. especially if done by a foreign national.

no, they should tag-team a leoben and a centurion to mentally break them down. the leoben's because they're good at getting under people's skins, the centurion to be "good cop" and know exactly where the process has to stop to stay within the law.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #975 on: 16 January 2020, 16:45:12 »
any methods used to get a confession that quickly would probably see the evidence thrown out in court. especially if done by a foreign national.

no, they should tag-team a leoben and a centurion to mentally break them down. the leoben's because they're good at getting under people's skins, the centurion to be "good cop" and know exactly where the process has to stop to stay within the law.
Someone sent the Lyran Commonwealths pet terrorist group to kill Liz: we're beyond "Court of Law"

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #976 on: 16 January 2020, 16:49:24 »
More importantly, torture doesn't work

Better to either turn "cleanly" or, as planned, a controlled release or escape and see what they do/where they go

See also Operation Doublecross

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #977 on: 16 January 2020, 16:53:44 »
Has anyone ever put a Loki agent in court?

Correct me if I´m wrong, but Loki is technically supposed to be loyal to the rulers of the FedCom, i.e. Victor right now. So unless there is reason to assume that there is a rogue faction within Loki (and Victor better HOPE there evidence of such a faction), it would appear to the dispassionate observer that Victor is a prime suspect for ordering this assassination.

And there is nothing in the laws of physics that would prevent the Kowloon Cylons from doing their interstellar surprise attack thing on Tharkad or New Avalon instead of against the Clans.

Somebody had better make it very clear to Victor that people who like Liz VERY much have reason to suspect him of trying to have her killed, and little reason not to return the favor if no other culprit shows up.

And anyways, it´s well beyond time that someone did a little house cleaning in Loki. Liz Ngo style house cleaning, that is.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #978 on: 16 January 2020, 17:15:19 »
That would be a very nice story if Liz Ngo was also given a chance to audit and clean up Loki!    Could the group behind the assassination be part ROM and members of the Brotherhood of Cincinatus?  They were for a pro-Stiener blood only group)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #979 on: 16 January 2020, 17:59:00 »
Or have the non-rebel cylons managed to do some infiltration of their own?  8)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #980 on: 16 January 2020, 22:23:54 »
Tharkad, 22 hours after the assassination...

"we're on the eve of the largest military operation since the fourth succession war, maybe since the first succession war."  Victor Steiner-Davion trooped the line "and someone inside LIC released a kill order on someone I consider an important part of that operation."

"Your Majesty, It must be a rogue-"

Victor turned and before anyone could blink, there was a meaty thumping sound, and the head of Domestic Operations was on the floor,  struck from his feet by the Archon Prince.  "No Excuses, I want to know where the order originated, I want the person who authorized it, I want them in front of me, I want their operational plan and I want to know why."

as if the heat were out, the room seemed to drop ten degrees off of his very-calm-and-reasonable tone.  "It was my decision to assign Elizabeth Ngo to clean up a chronic, problem area of the Commonwealth." he added, "That commander's intent has been undermined, it came from one of your agencies.  this is un-******-acceptable.  I am half inclined to have your agencies disbanded and opened to public scrutiny, jail the lot of you for incompetence and treason.  Including the ones who aren't guilty, because this was allowed to happen without my permission.  I want the origin of the order, I want the officers who planned and authorized this, I want them in front of me, ready to talk, yesterday."

"Majesty...and then what?"

"Then I decide if the mission had merit or not." Victor stated.  "If it did, no harm, no foul." then he smiled, and his smile could cut glass.  "If I determine it did not, or if I have any questions regarding the validity, or if I determine that I'm being handed patsies or scapegoats, I will use assets I know to be loyal and reliable to purge the entire Lyran Intelligence Corps until I get satisfactory answers and explanations."

he looked at his watch dramatically, "you have twenty four hours."

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #981 on: 16 January 2020, 22:39:02 »
24 hours to bring someone who may not be in the same solar system. :)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #982 on: 16 January 2020, 22:45:08 »
Kowloon...

"Elizabeth would ask, 'what are the rules of assassination?'"  Nathan Roshak was pensive.  His Summoner was parked in the main lot at Vin Drin Lap Coast Guard station, having disrupted a lot of regular traffic along Highway One to get here, (though none of the posted speed limits).

"Her answer would be 'kill the assassin'." Evelynn Mosovich answered.

"Precisely.  Your plan does not work."  the Jade Falcon officer crossed his arms, "I have brought interrogation specialists.  Remember, it is in my interests, and my Clan's interests to get to the bottom of this and keep your duchess alive for as long as possible."

Evelynn looked over at Commodore Li.  "What do you think?"

"We can still revert to my plan as long as the suspects aren't dead or crippled after." Li said.  "I get to assign observers, medical personnel, your people don't do anything so invasive that it can't be undone."

"Agreed." Nathan nodded.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #983 on: 16 January 2020, 22:47:14 »
24 hours to bring someone who may not be in the same solar system. :)

One thing Victor is good for, is knowing how to motivate people.  an unreasonable deadline is one more tactic.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #984 on: 16 January 2020, 23:12:54 »
"Then I decide if the mission had merit or not." Victor stated.  "If it did, no harm, no foul." then he smiled, and his smile could cut glass.  "If I determine it did not, or if I have any questions regarding the validity, or if I determine that I'm being handed patsies or scapegoats, I will use assets I know to be loyal and reliable to purge the entire Lyran Intelligence Corps until I get satisfactory answers and explanations."
Cylons working with Quintus Allard and/or Alex Mallory?

They're screwed and, they know it.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #985 on: 16 January 2020, 23:17:51 »
Coast Guard Medical Labs, Spider Moon...

Liberator is working.  Elizabeth's rejection spectrum would normally be in the yellow-green spectrum, about average for a human being, a little bit resistant to transplants due to rare tissue types, but generally within the normal spectra.  I don't have to use as many auto-immune suppressors, in fact, since closing the patient, I haven't had to use any.

Dr. Huyn is wasted out here, she's brilliant in and of herself, and it is a pleasure to work with her.  Clinicians are not like other Scientists, and she is a sterling example of a true Clinical Scientist-not just her ability to be dispassionate when discussing work, but her ability to retain compassion for her patients.  She reminds me in many ways, of my own mentor.

except...this time, I am the one doing the mentoring, and we are breaking new ground in the medical field.

The Liberator molecules tuned to build nervous tissue have reconnected the patient's spinal cord, there is no evidence of scarring thus far.  nerve sheaths in the patient's brain are being restored, undoing years of degradation.  The changes to the white matter portions are minimal.  Bone restoration and organ replacements are going well, in fact, better than expected.  in a few months, aside from surface scarring, she likely won't be able to tell she was even injured.

brain activity is still high, while the patient is externally non-responsive, this is within expected parameters for someone who has regained the ability to go into shock.  We're keeping her in a sedated state while her body works through the process of detoxifying from half a decade of hard drug use.  Opiate Addiction, which in the case of Her Grace, was a requirement to merely remain functional, is severely damaging to a variety of systems in the body.  While we're at it, we've tried experimental cleanses of those organs we did not have to outright replace, and incorporated 'moving frames' and direct stimulation to maintain, or in some areas, restore, lost muscle tone.

I am using fitness standards written for Trueborn 'mechwarriors as my baseline.  Liz will never be able to wear a neurohelmet, subtle changes to her brain's structure and chemistry will cause 'feedback phenomena', the single worst-case disqualifier for potential 'mechwarriors, but if she chooses to join the 'warrior classes' there are other options in the Inner Sphere than operating a Battlemech.  Her natural build and size suggest that among the Clans she would have been channelled into the aeropilot sub-caste at any rate, and once we've finished the remodeling of her physiology, cleaned out the damage from years of drug use and abuse, and restored full functionality, well..

...I'm very good at my job.

Natalie, the Gina working on this with us, has suggested further modifications, and I am inclined to support her in the interest of science, however, Mai is a good Clinician, and has brought up reasonable reservations about altering the Duchess further.  and those ARE reasonable reservations.  a better option may be to take a giftake from Elizabeth.  Our work has not rewritten her genes, we just repaired the damage and created a workaround to halt the progression of her syndrome.  Healthy offspring will require modification at the pre-natal level.

I will ask Etienne's advice on establishing a project to purge the Cholmann's defect from the Ducal line utilizing Iron Womb technology.  It might give him something to publish.

My patient will be in a medically induced comatose state for the next month.  That will be sufficient time to finish repairing the minor damage she has accumulated from years of hard drug use and physical self-abuse.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #986 on: 16 January 2020, 23:42:36 »
Nice, I love how you capture the different character's "voices"
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #987 on: 16 January 2020, 23:59:50 »
Somewhere else

"You don't forgive people who deserve it, that would be redundant."  Not-Penny said, and met Elizabeth's glare.  "that's what you said, isn't it?  Then you named the knife forgiveness.  How hypocritical is that?"

"very." Elizabeth said, "one more point on my being irredeemable."

"I don't believe that." not-penny told her.

The debate continued...

[out of story]

work night, I can't even finish this scene. [/out of story]

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #988 on: 17 January 2020, 04:12:12 »
No worries... we'll read it whenever you post it...  :)

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #989 on: 17 January 2020, 04:44:42 »
Actual doctor (physician) here... albeit only versed in early 21st century medicine...

There may or may not be dependence on the various drugs Liz has been on - dependence could be viewed as being on 3 levels (at least!)
(1) physical addiction (brain physiology)
(2) psychological addiction/dependence (brain function)
(3) physical dependence other than in the brain

A fun thought/idea with this tech might be to look at the injuries received by Horatio Nelson and how they might have been fixed both the ones he took prior to Trafalgar and those at Trafalgar. There is a good chance that even with modern medical technology he would not have survived his injuries at Trafalgar (again, "modern" meaning 2020) although I have friends who are Royal Navy doctors who I think would like to try!

Register