Author Topic: 10mm Warthogs. THEY DO EXIST! (Other than Spiff's that is)  (Read 4475 times)

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
So I'm sure everybody has heard about the new 15mm MicroOps Halo series with hogs and stuff but a 10mm blind box fig was also released a couple of weeks ago. It's like an american gashapon release really. They only have hogs one to a case of 30 or so but there's a few ways to improve your chances. The turrets and wheels rotate which is cool.

I bought 4 boxes for $3 apiece from 2 cases and nailed 2 hogs at a couple local stores. Figured that was all I really needed.  >:D

I'll tighten up the paint and add some drivers and gunners down the road. Enjoy.

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
Re: 10mm Warthogs. THEY DO EXIST! (Other than Spiff's that is)
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2012, 12:06:58 »
Oh yes! I want some of those for 'Car Wars'!  ;D

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2012, 12:08:50 »
Man, I almost wish I played N-scale
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2012, 12:26:19 »
I was hoping for the A10 Thunderbolt II :D

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2012, 15:38:59 »
I was hoping for the A10 Thunderbolt II :D

GHQ miniatures has an A10 in 1/285th scale.

Wolf Reaper

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Malo Mori Quam Foedari - Death Before Dishonor
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2012, 00:00:11 »
Star Colonel Vladik Ward
318th Wolf Striker Cluster
"The Blood Pack"

Sic Vis Pacem Parabellum  -"Those who seek peace, prepare for war."
"Grant me stillness and serenity as my enemies pound and howl." -Incantation against bombardment

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2012, 01:38:23 »
I found this.  I hope the mods do not kick me. :)

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=MCF13647&mode=retail
that is the '15mm' scale (which some are claiming is actually closer to 20mm scale.. )

the MWDA compatable ones are the "Halo Series 1 Xbox Live Avatar Mini Figures", which come randonly in plastic tubes. 7 of the 8 figures are just big headed spartans however.
« Last Edit: 17 August 2012, 01:44:56 by glitterboy2098 »

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2012, 08:17:37 »
glitterboy has it right. I thought it was goofy that they made the hog the rarest in the series (only one per case of 27). But considering it's about the only one that doesn't rattle, you can find it pretty easily if somebody else hasn't snagged it.

I got the 3 most likely at my first store to be safe. Could tell immediately at the second store and just bought the hog.

Here's the 2 duds. I've never really been an SD kind of fan.

EDIT: And while I do love the Thunderbolt II, it's not nearly rare enough for me to start an all caps statement in a thread title. You can get Battletech-scale ones for $.50 at the dollar tree after all.

« Last Edit: 17 August 2012, 08:19:44 by Sigma »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #9 on: 17 August 2012, 13:11:28 »
looking at those containers, i bet if you dismantled them you could make some interesting terrain using the parts.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #10 on: 17 August 2012, 15:29:49 »
looking at those containers, i bet if you dismantled them you could make some interesting terrain using the parts.
Just pop the top off and you've got the top of a borehole or other excavation
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

LordNth

• Warrant Officer
  • Still playing with toys.
« Reply #11 on: 18 August 2012, 07:47:43 »
Changing or moding the gun so it doesn't need the guy standing behind it (would help with the scale.  The seats actually look 15mm even if the figures are not.

Score a Falcon VTOL yet?

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: 18 August 2012, 08:17:34 »
These particular little beasts are true 10mm, Owen. They're just a hair bigger than the 15mm MicroOps Mongoose and about half the size of the MicroOps Warthog (which is about the size of a DA Behemoth II). Can't wait to grab the Banshee from this line when it comes out in a couple months. Just hope it's as easy to find as the hog.

Been mulling over snagging a Falcon or Scorpion from the Microps line though. They're all over the place down here. Really want to grab some of their terrain on clearance though if I get a chance.

As far as the scale complaints on the MicroOps line, I think McFarlane represented the line accurately. The vehicles are all roomy for the huge PC Spartans who are Elemental-sized and normal dudes look like little kids with blocks taped to their feet driving them. It is just like playing Halo! ;D

spaceman spiff

• Warrant Officer
  • We will deal with your rebel farmers soon enough..
« Reply #13 on: 18 August 2012, 12:48:39 »
alright....i'm not entirely convinced about the scale. while they are most definitely cool, the real test for 10mm is to put them next to some MWDA infantry pieces.

i think i still have to own some of these!
Spaceman has his own blog now!
http://spaceman-spiff-studio.blogspot.com/

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: 18 August 2012, 15:56:53 »
Keep in mind these are not the MicroOps hogs. They are smaller.

Comparison.

spaceman spiff

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 18 August 2012, 22:21:25 »
as i feared...they are definitely NOT 10mm scale. those hogs would require a ladder for the men to enter. sorry that i'm bursting bubbles. :'(

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: 18 August 2012, 22:41:52 »
Considering in the actual game, the regular humans can't even see over the dashboard? I'd say it's pretty close. ;D

Since it's based on a slightly SD "RC" model, the frame is higher off the ground, the tires are bigger and the turret is bigger than they should be, but not by much. The hog is stupidly oversized in the Halo universe. It definitely suffers from Destroid syndrome though. Just because it's technically in-scale to the home universe doesn't make my 1/160 Warhammers not-too-small or the Warthog not-too-big for what it should be in Battletech.

Still, I would hurry out and grab a couple while the wave is fresh if you are inclined to. Prices are already getting crazy on ebay.

LordNth

• Warrant Officer
  • Still playing with toys.
« Reply #17 on: 19 August 2012, 07:10:56 »
So these are the 10mm versions and the Micro Ops are (by everyone's guess) 18-20mm?
So these extra large 10mm figs might make great 15mm ATVs.

So if they are NOT Micro Ops where could one find one (some)??

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: 19 August 2012, 09:33:52 »
So these are the 10mm versions and the Micro Ops are (by everyone's guess) 18-20mm?
So these extra large 10mm figs might make great 15mm ATVs.

So if they are NOT Micro Ops where could one find one (some)??

They are from the Mcfarlane avatar series. Blind-boxed, "ultra-rare", only 1 hog out of each case of 27. Only $3 but you gotta find it. It's the one that doesn't rattle. I had to go to 2 stores to find 2 different cases and get the 2 hogs. They just got out on the shelves in the last couple of weeks so your odds are still good. There were 4 stores that carried them in my area but I figured it would be a jerk thing to clear them all out of my city.

EDIT: Stores that carry them include Toys R Us, Target, Kroger, FYE etc. Don't bother with Gamestop, the employees will already have gotten all the goodies out of there. Walmart doesn't carry them though.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a394/Sangdraxshadow/IMG_1134.jpg

EDIT: 2 And I would say the Mcfarlane MicroOps series is accurate at 15mm but everybody keeps forgetting that all the armored dudes are Elemental-sized and the vehicles are oversized to compensate for the PC's. It's hilarious to watch the regular humans do stuff in Halo. It reminds me of Short Round driving the getaway car in Temple of Doom. ;D
« Last Edit: 19 August 2012, 09:52:21 by Sigma »

spacewolflord

• Corporal
  • Been one since Second
« Reply #19 on: 19 August 2012, 11:00:41 »
Well those two Hogs look like a nice find. 
Speaking of which where did you find that Warhammer in the background?  All my searches for such models have come to not.
The Intuitive Mind is a sacred gift, the Rational mind, a loyal servant. Our society has honored the servant and forgotten the gift.
- Albert Einstein

spaceman spiff

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 20 August 2012, 12:18:59 »
i am certainly going to look into the Falcon and the Scorpion tank.
although the fanboy in me will probably end up with all of them ^-^ ^-^.

Register