Author Topic: New to MekHQ - Questions  (Read 47756 times)

cmoreland

• Corporal
  • I've got a gut feeling in my stomach...
Re: New to MekHQ - Questions
« Reply #90 on: 14 August 2015, 10:17:33 »
Quick question: I have 2 pilots that are basically me and my buddy IRL. How do I keep them from trying to leave with payouts? These two pilots need to ALWAYS be a part of the unit.

Thanks!

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #91 on: 14 August 2015, 10:25:29 »
Quick question: I have 2 pilots that are basically me and my buddy IRL. How do I keep them from trying to leave with payouts? These two pilots need to ALWAYS be a part of the unit.

Thanks!
1 - Boost  the Leadership skills of a commanding officer, to lower the target number of ALL retirement rolls.
2 - Enable "modify retirement rolls" from the AtB tab in the MekHQ game options.
3 - Go to the extreme right side, and click the "0", then use the up/down arrows to make it a -2, -3, or whatever it takes to reduce that character's retirement target to 1.

cmoreland

• Corporal
« Reply #92 on: 14 August 2015, 10:54:20 »
I've done this but post-match it still opens up the complete contract window after resolving the round... how do I stop that? Disable AtB?

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #93 on: 14 August 2015, 11:01:28 »
Are you clicking Complete Mission? After the Game?

cmoreland

• Corporal
« Reply #94 on: 14 August 2015, 11:56:02 »
It was a marginal defeat, does that matter? It's the contract screen that pops up if that makes a difference...

EDIT: Sometimes, the two mechwarriors just disappear from the roster without the contract ending.
« Last Edit: 14 August 2015, 13:20:12 by cmoreland »

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #95 on: 14 August 2015, 18:06:43 »
No nothing is going wrong really... you lost the contract.

Turn off AtB if you want to skip the Retirement rolls.

angel0616

• Private
« Reply #96 on: 17 August 2015, 07:54:04 »
There is a check box in Tha AtB screen under campaign that turns off the retirement rolls altogether. I don't use tge retirement rules.

Taharqa

• Warrant Officer
  • Look out, there is a monkey on your back!
« Reply #97 on: 17 August 2015, 10:50:30 »
No nothing is going wrong really... you lost the contract.

Turn off AtB if you want to skip the Retirement rolls.

If I understand correctly, what is desired is to turn off the retirement rolls for certain personnel but not all personnel. That really should be an option.
MegaMek Dev and Bug Creator

The Flaming Devil Monkeys - The adventures of a band of misfit gladiators turned mercenary mechwarriors during the Word of Blake Jihad.
The Free Company of Oriente - No longer bound by the politics of the great houses, the Free Company of Oriente seeks its fate and fortune among the stars.
Ronin Cat Avengers - Fleeing the destruction of their Clan across an Inner Sphere at war, the Ronin Cat Avengers seek a new home ... and vengeance.

Make your own campaign website with the MekHQ Blog

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #98 on: 17 August 2015, 11:05:17 »
If I understand correctly, what is desired is to turn off the retirement rolls for certain personnel but not all personnel. That really should be an option.
From personal experience and the comments on the board...

The CO shouldn't roll Retirement
Dependents shouldn't roll Retirement

That way if you have a force like mine with 2 family members you could tag one as Dependent and taduh! Problem solved for both situations!

neoancient

• Warrant Officer
  • MegaMek team member
« Reply #99 on: 17 August 2015, 12:39:09 »
Exempting the CO from retirement rolls should not be automatic unless Makinus adds that to the rules, but an option to exempt certain personnel from retirement rolls would cover that situation and be more flexible anyway. I don't have the rules in front of me and I don't remember whether there is anything that indicates whether dependents ought to make retirement/defection rolls, but the annual roll to add or remove dependents provides another mechanic specifically for dependents so I think it's reasonable to exempt them. I don't remember how MHQ selects which dependents to remove, but the option to prevent retirement rolls for specific personnel could apply to that roll as well.

cmoreland

• Corporal
« Reply #100 on: 18 August 2015, 13:58:54 »
I'm guessing it's too late on the particular save I'm trying to load because anything I'm doing in the rules etc have no effect once I load up the match save and complete the scenario. My two main members disappear every time without a trace even though I've marked them as survivors in the post-match edit.

cmoreland

• Corporal
« Reply #101 on: 18 August 2015, 16:41:54 »
Figured enough of it out that I am able to continue at least. Had to change the drop-down menu under personnel to MIA and change them back to active. Not sure why they showed MIA after the battle because I unchecked that box. bug?

Anyway, thank goodness I can salvage this unit now despite losing the scenario by a lucky tank shot!

Taharqa

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #102 on: 18 August 2015, 22:16:21 »
Figured enough of it out that I am able to continue at least. Had to change the drop-down menu under personnel to MIA and change them back to active. Not sure why they showed MIA after the battle because I unchecked that box. bug?

If you kept a save from before the scenario resolution + the MM savegame (or MULs if you did it manually) then, yes please post a bug with those items.

The Flaming Devil Monkeys - The adventures of a band of misfit gladiators turned mercenary mechwarriors during the Word of Blake Jihad.
The Free Company of Oriente - No longer bound by the politics of the great houses, the Free Company of Oriente seeks its fate and fortune among the stars.
Ronin Cat Avengers - Fleeing the destruction of their Clan across an Inner Sphere at war, the Ronin Cat Avengers seek a new home ... and vengeance.

cmoreland

• Corporal
« Reply #103 on: 19 August 2015, 16:43:05 »
I've been messing with that problem for days and have SO MANY saves and files cluttered everywhere. Not sure which one would be good, I was about at my wits end when things just clicked there so I'm not sure exactly which save I used.

If it happens again I will properly document it and post the saves.

In the meantime I had yet another question if I haven't outstayed my welcome :)

- Is there a way to pull a weapon off a 'mech in MekHQ's mechlab and fit it to another 'mech in the hangar without buying and waiting on the part? For instance, I picked up some lostech (ERLL) from a bonus mission and I'd like to fit that ERLL in place of a LL on a different 'mech.

Thanks!

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #104 on: 19 August 2015, 17:33:51 »
- Is there a way to pull a weapon off a 'mech in MekHQ's mechlab and fit it to another 'mech in the hangar without buying and waiting on the part? For instance, I picked up some lostech (ERLL) from a bonus mission and I'd like to fit that ERLL in place of a LL on a different 'mech.

Along this line, is there a way to save a mech that is under weight? If you are playing were you have limited supplies and so have to modify the mech based on what you have on hand and will not be getting more supplies. If the mech ends up under weight is there a way to save it/make it usable?

ralgith

• Captain
    • Dylan's BattleTech Emporium
« Reply #105 on: 19 August 2015, 18:06:20 »
Along this line, is there a way to save a mech that is under weight? If you are playing were you have limited supplies and so have to modify the mech based on what you have on hand and will not be getting more supplies. If the mech ends up under weight is there a way to save it/make it usable?

This isn't currently supported, though it should be. Feel free to open a feature request so it doesn't get forgotten.

Taharqa

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #106 on: 19 August 2015, 18:25:05 »

To pull the ERLL off the current mech just change the repair status of the mech to Salvage and salvage the ERLL in the repair bay.

Then, you will need to customize your other mech in the MekLab to use an ERLL and that ERLL should get used for the refit. Just make sure you pick the right tech base (IS not clan if this is lostech) in your custom design. If everything is working right the "needed parts" list should not include the ERLL.

Taharqa

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #107 on: 19 August 2015, 18:27:41 »

I guess what should really be possible is to just refit the mech with missing parts rather than being technically underweight. We could include some kind of "refit now!" option in the context menu that just makes the mech available with all of its missing parts. Its just a little weird because technically you could abuse this to refit faster since refiting takes a multiple of the time to remove and replace parts.

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #108 on: 19 August 2015, 18:43:29 »

It would still be a refit whether you have all the parts or not.

Use normal refit rules and GM Edit the missing parts as available and then damage them.

It really is an odd idea.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #109 on: 19 August 2015, 19:52:49 »
if i get under weight i just pad it with armor ...its one way to go around it
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #110 on: 19 August 2015, 20:06:51 »
This isn't currently supported, though it should be. Feel free to open a feature request so it doesn't get forgotten.

We do actually have a Stalker that is on a diet that is canon.  So you can build'em but MM will still show them at there assigned weight.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #111 on: 19 August 2015, 20:28:18 »
I guess what should really be possible is to just refit the mech with missing parts rather than being technically underweight. We could include some kind of "refit now!" option in the context menu that just makes the mech available with all of its missing parts. Its just a little weird because technically you could abuse this to refit faster since refiting takes a multiple of the time to remove and replace parts.
I am not sure if I am understanding, if I have just enough time before I know that I will be attacked to remove say the two PPC's off of my warhammer and not having any spares on hand replace them with LL but as I plan to replace them when I get the parts so I do not add anything to make up the weight how does this abuse the system? I think it is inline with the tabletop but not 100% sure, I know you can be under weight.

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
  • Founding Member of Chaos Inc Merc Brigade
« Reply #112 on: 20 August 2015, 00:27:45 »
I am not sure if I am understanding, if I have just enough time before I know that I will be attacked to remove say the two PPC's off of my warhammer and not having any spares on hand replace them with LL but as I plan to replace them when I get the parts so I do not add anything to make up the weight how does this abuse the system? I think it is inline with the tabletop but not 100% sure, I know you can be under weight.

I just tried this on an old save:
1>Select whatever mech that you want to take components off of and change it to salvage.
2>Remove said components.
3>Change the mech back to repair.
The mech should be active at this point (unless you took out something that it can't operate without)
4>When you have the parts you need, or have the admin try to get them for you, go to customize unit and either select a refit or make one.

I tried it with a Flashman by pulling off one of the large lasers.  The mech was already missing the AMS and ammo bin (due to damage).  Once I changed it back to repair, it was available for use.  In the same save, a couple of mechs are missing actuators that I don't have in stock.  As long as the mech is functioning, MM will let you use it. 

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #113 on: 20 August 2015, 02:19:17 »
@ Mike19K:  To get that to work as desired, I wonder if you have to have the StratOps optional rule checked that allows for partial repairs in the MM options? 
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #114 on: 20 August 2015, 02:29:14 »
partial repairs don't have any affect on HQ repairs if I remember correctly.

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #115 on: 20 August 2015, 09:07:00 »
I just tried this on an old save:
1>Select whatever mech that you want to take components off of and change it to salvage.
2>Remove said components.
3>Change the mech back to repair.
The mech should be active at this point (unless you took out something that it can't operate without)
4>When you have the parts you need, or have the admin try to get them for you, go to customize unit and either select a refit or make one.

I tried it with a Flashman by pulling off one of the large lasers.  The mech was already missing the AMS and ammo bin (due to damage).  Once I changed it back to repair, it was available for use.  In the same save, a couple of mechs are missing actuators that I don't have in stock.  As long as the mech is functioning, MM will let you use it.

Ok, I see that will work for getting rid of the stuff, but if I go into the Customize in MegaMek Lab I can not save a mech underweight. Using your Flashman example if I have one (3025) that has lost both its LL, and I know I will need it in the fight coming up at the end of the next maintance cycle (each tech gets 480 minutes) I can put a PPC on it for the 480 minutes but this leaves it three tons underweight and MegaMek lab will not let me begin the refit if it is underweight. If I add any thing else it will take to long as I only have the 480 minutes to work with. This is what I am asking about. I had not thought about removing the parts as salvage which will make the modification quicker if I could save an underweight unit.

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #116 on: 20 August 2015, 09:29:01 »
@Mike19

Ok so this gets a bit ugly.

You can make an underweight design in MML. Save it as a new custom. Save and reload MHQ. Customize, select the new fittings.

What you are trying to do has never even been mentioned in the 2 years I've been here.

I just did exactly as described and refit a Flashman to a Flashman busted variant which is missing a LL.

So there is the workaround but I'm not actually advocating you try this at home :)

Taharqa

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #117 on: 20 August 2015, 10:46:49 »

I was thinking that rather than an underweight unit, you could just determine that you want to refit the mech before all the equipment had arrived so that the missing equipment would just be listed as destroyed and could then be replaced when it got there. The abuse there would be that you could do that before all equipment had arrived and then actually spend less time replacing equipment later because you don't get the refit multiplier to time.

Now that I think about it, your situation is a little different though because you really just want the underweight mech without a specification of how the missing weight should be filled with non-existent equipment. I think that actually might be easier to implement. It might be as simple as editing out underweight as a condition for not being able to refit.

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #118 on: 20 August 2015, 11:10:05 »
You can make an underweight unit in MML... I can't think of any good reason for not being able to customize one in MHQ.

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #119 on: 20 August 2015, 14:57:27 »
@Mike19

Ok so this gets a bit ugly.

You can make an underweight design in MML. Save it as a new custom. Save and reload MHQ. Customize, select the new fittings.

What you are trying to do has never even been mentioned in the 2 years I've been here.

I just did exactly as described and refit a Flashman to a Flashman busted variant which is missing a LL.

So there is the workaround but I'm not actually advocating you try this at home :)

Thank you, I may have to play around with this, mostly I use MHQ as a tracking system for the tabletop games, so I can do it the old pen and paper way, that is just not as easy.