Author Topic: Vehicles of "The Huskarls' Hold"  (Read 5524 times)

Siegfried Marcus

• Sergeant
Vehicles of "The Huskarls' Hold"
« on: 24 July 2016, 13:24:31 »
These are the original vehicles featured in my story "The Huskarls' Hold."  http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=52953.0  I've already posted similar or identical versions for some of these, but they have more fluff now.  I'll start with the Gustav, and follow up with the others.

Code: [Select]

Gustav

Mass: 45 tons
Movement: 4/6 (tracked)
Engine: 14 tons (ICE 180)
Armor: 8.5 tons
    Front 36, Sides 28, Rear 20, Turret 24

Armament:
    LB 10-X AC (3 tons ammo)
    (Turret Mechanism 1.5 tons)

Cost: 1,011,375

Quirks: The Gustav relied heavily on orthodox design theory and was considered a success to be free of any major quirks, good or bad. 
The one exception is that it is designed for crew members shorter than 180 cm.

The Gustav is the primary tank used in the newly created Huskarl regiments of the Free Rasalhague Republic.  It is designed to fight while on the move; therefore, the turret is relatively lightly armored.  Huskarl doctrine calls for mass numbers rather than surviveability for each tank.  The Gustav's LBX gun makes it adequate in both anti-air and anti-infantry roles and effective at long and short range; often entire companies use it as their only front line tank.  In addition, the Gustav's versatility has earned it a place supporting heavier fusion tanks. 

The basic design and ICE engine allow for large-scale mass production.  The Gustav is produced primarily at Benson and Bjorn's new Rasalhague facility, but it is built around an advanced autocannon produced by Odin Manufacturing on Orestes.  The Republic has tried to broker a deal that would see LBX production on Rasalhague, while Odin has argued that it should be producing Gustavs under license for shipment within the Skandia Province.

In 3036, the FRR commissioned Benson and Bjorn for a medium tank using a crew of three and the AC 10 as its only weapon.  Once it became clear that Odin Manufacturing could successfully produce the LB 10-X, the Gustav was born.  Production began in 3040 and increased dramatically in 3042 with the completion of the Rasalhague factories.  The original design uses only two tons of ammunition and is considered a fall back should LBX supplies be disrupted.

The most popular variant, the Gustav D, reduces ammo capacity to two tons and adds a ton of armor. 
(F 38, RS/LS 32, R 22, T 28)  The "D" variant is meant to be the leading edge of an attack that will be continued by standard Gustavs.  Early in the Clan Invasion, experts noted that the Gustav D was better suited to the brief and decisive battles typical of that conflict. 
« Last Edit: 20 November 2016, 13:18:33 by Siegfried Marcus »
Here is my AU story set in the Free Rasalhague Republic.
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=52953.0

Siegfried Marcus

• Sergeant
Re: Vehicles of "The Huskarls' Hold"
« Reply #1 on: 24 July 2016, 14:11:46 »
The Halberd is considered a "heavy" tank by the KungsArmé although it weighs only 50 tons.  It requires a four man crew, has poor speed, and fits poorly in a small vehicle bay.

Halberd

Mass: 50 tons
Movement: 3/5 (tracked)
Engine: 11 tons (ICE 150)
Armor: 11 tons
    Front 46, Sides 34, Rear 26, Turret 36

Armament:
    Gauss Rifle (4 tons ammo)
    (Turret Mechanism 1.5 tons)

Cost: 926,250

Quirks: Gas Hog.  The original design called for powered reverse, but this proved both unattainable and inefficient.

The Halberd is exclusively designed to put a Gauss Rifle into battle and keep it there.  Four tons of ammo give it a sustained presence.  While the Halberd lacks speed, it has considerable armor and can fight effectively from the hull-down position.  When used on the offensive, the hope is that it will survive heavy damage and be recovered from the field as Gustavs continue to press the attack.  Halberds are almost always paired with the older Axel design.  The Axel's power at short range complements the long range of the Gauss Rifle, and its two machine guns make up for the Halberd's lack of secondary weaponry.

The Halberd was produced on Spittal beginning in 3045, but despite its low nominal cost, acquisition of Gauss Riffles has proved a hurdle to continued production.  In this lull, engineers are working on an experimental version that would use CASE and some kind of thermal shielding to protect the crew and the nearly irreplaceable gun.
« Last Edit: 20 November 2016, 13:26:14 by Siegfried Marcus »

Siegfried Marcus

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2016, 14:57:42 »
The Spyd is an unsung workhorse of the Huskarl regiments.  Many felt that the Spyd was too similar to the Scorpion LRM tank, but the Spyd sacrifices a turret for additional speed.

Spyd

Mass: 25 tons
Movement: 5/8 (tracked)
Engine: 8 tons (ICE 125)
Armor: 4 tons
    Front 24, Sides 15, Rear 10

Armament:
    LRM 15 (2 tons ammo)

Cost: 383,854

Quirks: Fast Reload.  Difficult to Maintain.  The Spyd is easily mass produced at the expense of reliability.
A Huskarl regiment's numerous Spyds add the already heavy workload of their maintenance crews

The Spyd is often deployed an entire lance at a time.  While they are weak and vulnerable individually, they can be menacing in numbers and just tough enough to be a burden to kill.  The Spyd's speed has proven particularly valuable in concentrating forces before a battle.  Often they will be the first reinforcements on the scene.  During the Clan Invasion, Spyds were often pushed directly into battle where direct fire at shorter ranges improved accuracy against the fast moving Clan mechs.

Spyds are easily manufactured and produced on several worlds within the Republic, but primarily Spittal and Rasalhague.  They are widely used by front line and army militia units, and even some planetary militias.

« Last Edit: 20 November 2016, 13:37:23 by Siegfried Marcus »

Siegfried Marcus

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2016, 15:19:23 »
The Huskarl reforms of the FRR emphasized a national army and consciously broke with the neo-feudal model of the Inner Sphere.  To this end, they hoped to cultivate a professional officer corps rather than a warrior elite to lead at the company level.  The Tio CV is a modestly capable command vehicle designed to allow Huskarl battalions to make concerted attacks.  It offers no "in game" bonus.

Tio CV

Mass: 10 tons
Movement: 6/9 (tracked)
Engine: 3 tons (ICE 60)
Armor: 3.5 tons
    Front 15, Sides 13, Rear 15

Equipment:
    Communications equipment (2 additional tons) (including some sensory equipment for fluff purposes)

Cost: 88,000

« Last Edit: 24 July 2016, 17:42:41 by Siegfried Marcus »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2016, 16:15:32 »
Actually, the Tio does provide in-game bonuses.  All Combat Vehicles have the equivalent of 1 ton of Communications Equipment built in as part of their controls, so adding two more tons gets you to the 3-ton threshold for a +1 initiative bonus, and acting as half of an ECM suite.

Siegfried Marcus

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2016, 16:31:46 »
Although heavily used by the FRR the Sentry is not a local design.  It is a faster, cheaper alternative to dedicated AA platforms such as the Partisan or AC/2 Carrier.  While the Sentry lacks the fire power to quickly bring down ASFs, it has considerable armor, thus allowing it to stay in the fight and prevent air power from picking off targets at leisure.  The Sentry is also somewhat capable of ground fire support. 

Sentry

Mass: 30 tons
Movement: 4/6 (tracked)
Engine: 8 tons (ICE 120)
Armor: 6.5 tons
    Front 22, Sides 20, Rear 20, Turret 22

Armament:
    AC/5 (2 tons flak ammo)
    (Turret Mechanism 1 ton)

Cost: 390,000

Quirks: Anti-Air Targetting.  Poor Ground Targetting. 

« Last Edit: 20 November 2016, 13:39:32 by Siegfried Marcus »

Siegfried Marcus

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 24 July 2016, 17:41:13 »
Actually, the Tio does provide in-game bonuses. 

Well that's pretty fancy.  Based on Sarna's description of the Mobile HQ, I imagined that the FRR would have trouble getting high quality comm gear in sufficient quantities, so I imagine the Tio is stocked with cheaper substitutes.  Also, Huskarl force sizes are pretty large, so I think it's fair enough just to let them coordinate effectively.  Still it's nice to know the basic design is suitable as a CV.

When I checked the actual specs in SAW, I saw that I had only given it 1.5 tons (I know rules say full ton increments), so I sacrificed a half ton of armor to reach 3 total. 

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 24 July 2016, 18:00:35 »
I don't think you need particularly fancy gear to get the bonus, just some dedicated to doing C2.  Heck, look at what the Germans were able to do by just adding radios to tanks.  There's a picture in "Panzer Leader" by Guderian (that I can't find on the internet) that illustrates it perfectly.  It was two radiomen and an Enigma machine operator with an officer in the back of an open topped truck.

EDIT: Found it... turns out the officer was Guderian himself.  There are better images available, but this one has a legible caption:
« Last Edit: 24 July 2016, 18:11:32 by Daryk »

gomiville

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 24 July 2016, 20:31:12 »
(The Sentry has targeting gear and a turret arrangement for AA, but I don't know to reflect that) 
There's an anti-air targeting bonus among the design quirks listed in StratOps, which doesn't add to the cost or anything.  Use sparingly, but handy for "hidden" design elements that help out in one way or another.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 25 July 2016, 12:02:51 »
??  could the Halberd, be a Gustav with a ICE 135 engine?  I'm away from books and can't do the math in my head.  Would help with maintence department as both tanks would use 66% or more of the same parts, and the only real parts not in common, the Gauss Rifle and the engine.

Sentry II, with LRM15 pack can be used in Anti-Air and with "fluffed" indirect fire as well.  Doesn't replace the Spyd, but can mixed into Gustav units with same speed.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

gomiville

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 25 July 2016, 13:06:44 »
??  could the Halberd, be a Gustav with a ICE 135 engine?  I'm away from books and can't do the math in my head.  Would help with maintence department as both tanks would use 66% or more of the same parts, and the only real parts not in common, the Gauss Rifle and the engine.
Not without losing 4 tons of armor.

You could put the Gauss in the front, dropping the turret, for similar armor protection at 8.5 tons, but then you lose the hull down ability described in the fluff.

Siegfried Marcus

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 25 July 2016, 17:51:39 »
The Jackal is essentially a cheaper substitute for the Harasser.  After independence and the Ronin War, the FRR was looking for cheap vehicles to flesh out its rapidly growing military.  The Harasser was a benchmark for cheap hover support, but the Republic was characteristically looking for something less.  It is 40% lighter than its counterpart and less than half the cost.  Although it is slightly slower, all variants are more armored. 

The Jackal has a somewhat scandalous origin.  After an initial bulk purchase of Harassers, the FRR expressed interest in a smaller version to fill the same roles.  Brooks Incorporated was unmoved by the Republic's request (some accused them of not wanting to cannibalize sales of their already low-end vehicle.)  Soon afterward, Odin Manufacturing hired the spouse of a retiring Brooks engineer and began development of the Jackal.  Eventually all claims were settled, and Odin pays Brooks a modest patent infringement fee on all Jackal sales.

Jackal

Mass: 15 tons
Movement: 9/14 (hover)
Engine: 3 tons (ICE 50)
Armor: 2.5 tons
    Front 14, Sides 10, Rear 6

Armament:
    Medium Laser
    Machine Gun (0.5 tons ammo)

Cost: 199,550

Quirks: (applicable to all variants)  Hard to Pilot.  Easy to Maintain.

The standard Jackal is used for infantry support and scouting.  The medium laser gives the Jackal range and hitting power that infantry alone cannot achieve.  Though sometimes billed as an ICE Savannah Master, it is far too slow to fill the same role.  By the late 3040s, Jackal packs were in wide use as support against pirates, a role in which they were largely unsuccessful.

Jackal LRM

Armor: 2 tons
    Front 12, Sides 8, Rear 4

Armament:
    2X LRM 5s (2 tons ammo)

Cost: 217,750

The LRM version was developed simultaneously and proved quite useful.  It actually matches the equivalent Harasser, though it carries less ammo.  Dissatisfaction with the Harasser LRM was seen as a major impetus in developing the Jackal.

Jackal Roc-APC

Armor: 2 tons
    Front 12, Sides 8, Rear 4

Equipment:
    3 ton infantry compartment
    6 Rocket Launcher 10's

Cost: 230,750

The Roc-APC version is intended to ferry reserve troops to the front, make a splash on the battlefield, and then depart to reload and do it again.  A similar version uses an LRM 5 with one ton of ammo, but it is generally used as dedicated transport/fire support for front-line infantry platoons.

Jackal CQ

Front 20, Sides 16, Rear 12

Armament:
    flamer (vehicle) (1 ton ammo)
    4 Machine Guns (0.5 tons ammo)

Cost: 175,500

The CQ variant is an anti-infantry brawler.  Two of the MGs are side mounted.

It is worth noting that there is no SRM version, and the FRR continues to purchase the basic Harasser.

Bonus: Here's my Rottweiler anti-infantry vehicle.  The Fourth Huskarl only has two as of January 3050 due to its emphasis on fighting mechs and vehicles.

Rottweiler

Mass: 20 tons
Movement: 5/8 (tracked)
Engine: 6 tons (ICE 100)
Armor: 5 tons
    Front 20, Sides 16, Rear 12, Turret 16

Armament:
    SRM 2 (1 ton ammo)
    Flamer (vehicle) (1 ton ammo)
    2X Machine Guns (1 ton ammo)
    (Turret Mechanism 0.5 tons)

Cost: 172,000

I imagine the Rottweiler as a common design used by various militias.  It often uses inferno SRM rounds.  One of the MGs is front mounted, everything else in the turret.  Tracked movement allows it push into lightly wooded areas to flush out infantry.
« Last Edit: 20 November 2016, 13:53:11 by Siegfried Marcus »

Siegfried Marcus

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 26 July 2016, 10:11:15 »
There's an anti-air targeting bonus among the design quirks listed in StratOps, which doesn't add to the cost or anything.  Use sparingly, but handy for "hidden" design elements that help out in one way or another.

That just doesn't feel right to me.  The Sentry is a dedicated anit-air platform, so the bonus isn't a meant to be a quirk or bonus.  I just give it a -1 to hit ground targets, and I guess +1 to hit air.  To be honest, I might just fudge any Aerotech for the sake of my story.  I included the Sentry mainly for flavor and to demonstrate the self-reliance of the Huskarls.  The exception to self reliance might be anti-infantry, but they are made for defending planets, so it is assumed enemy infantry can't be deployed in huge numbers.  Furthermore, Huskarls are expected to be operating alongside some kind of militia, which should have anti-infantry capabilities if nothing else.

gomiville

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 26 July 2016, 11:29:47 »
That just doesn't feel right to me.  The Sentry is a dedicated anit-air platform, so the bonus isn't a meant to be a quirk or bonus.
The design quirks are meant to model those attributes that aren't part of the regular design process.  So, if the vehicle has some extra radar bits and high elevation bobs for its guns, it's better at shooting airborne targets than a regular tank.  But radar and gun elevation aren't part of the vehicle design rules.  Granted, there's no "inability to properly target ground units" negative quirk, but still.

You describes a bonus, then say you don't like the canon bonus because it's a "bonus."  I don't really understand that.  If you prefer house rules, that's fine, but I was letting you know there's canon methods for it.  You said you didn't know how to reflect anti-air speciality, so I was pointing out where that's part of the system.

The quirks allow you to specialize stuff beyond the usual design rules.  They can quickly get out of hand, but used sparingly, they add excellent flavor to custom designs.  Honestly, by the stats alone, many units end up being pretty similar.  An ICE tank carrying an AC/10 is a dime a dozen, frankly.  But maybe this one is "easy to maintain" and a "gas hog," while that one has an "accurate weapon" and "non-standard parts."

Siegfried Marcus

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 26 July 2016, 20:39:02 »
I actually like the quirks, I would just handle that particular one differently.  I have to admit I should do more with the quirks, maybe it's not too late.  I've actually tried to keep my designs simple, focused, and even a bit generic.  My story is more focused on military economy.  I know that's sort of anti-Battletech, but I'm a bit of a subversive at heart.  That said, you've reminded me that I've been remiss in ignoring quirks.  Using the designs for narrative purposes makes flavor all the more important.  I've been getting by without Strat Ops so far, so I guess that's my excuse.

gomiville

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 26 July 2016, 22:17:58 »
I design for narrative and fluff myself, so I completely understand.  And yea, I like using quirks for the extra flavor they can add in that sense.  A "Hard to Maintain" tank, or one with "Nonstandard Parts," has a great hook for stories.  Is it an insurgent tank, built in garages all over the planet, without real standardization?  Was it pushed through procurement because the manufacturer CEO's husband sat on the committee to approve it?  Was it foisted on the local forces by off-planet powers, trapping them in maintenance contracts?

The quirks take it from "X tank is used by Y forces" to an entry into a story.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 28 July 2016, 15:44:26 »
Well I know it now outdated but in the old Tech Manual AA vehicles could be set up as you planned

??  could the Halberd, be a Gustav with a ICE 135 engine?
Not without losing 4 tons of armor.

You could put the Gauss in the front, dropping the turret, for similar armor protection at 8.5 tons, but then you lose the hull down ability described in the fluff.
I wasn't sure how much u would save with dropping the engine size, was worth a quick thought
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 28 July 2016, 17:51:46 »

Sentry II, with LRM15 pack can be used in Anti-Air and with "fluffed" indirect fire as well.  Doesn't replace the Spyd, but can mixed into Gustav units with same speed.
Actually...

The 135 ICE weights 9 tons, the 180 ICE weights 14. Saves 5 tons. After removing the LB10 and ammo you have 19 tons, exactly the weight of the GR with 32 rounds. It would be identical other than the engine and weapon swaps. :)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 07 August 2016, 20:18:41 »
Thank you Sabelkatten, I thought my idea should have worked.  Common Parts are a bonus

Siegfried Marcus

• Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 20 November 2016, 14:39:20 »
[note: I've added quirks to a few of the designs above.]

The Utforska is a dedicated recon/spotter helo.  Although it is foreign designed and produced, the KungsArme uses a Swedish designation.

Utforska

Movement: 10/15 (vtol)
Engine: 3 tons (ICE 55)
    Front 20, Sides 15, Rear 12, Rotor 2

Equipment:
    Beagle Active Probe
    Recon Camera
    TAG
    Remote Sensor Dispenser
    Searchlight

Cost: 646,125

The command variant uses an ECM to protect the officers on board.

Utforska CV

Movement: 10/15 (vtol)
Engine: 3 tons (ICE 55)
    Front 20, Sides 15, Rear 12, Rotor 2

Equipment:
    Communications Equipment (2 tons)
    Recon Camera
    Guardian ECM

Cost: 553,125

I may as well list the Tjugo 20 ton tracked CV.

Tjugo

Mass: 20 tons
Movement: 6/9 (tracked)
Engine: 8 tons (ICE 120)
Armor: 5 tons
    Front 20, Sides 20, Rear 20

Equipment:
    Communication Equipment  (3 tons)
    Cargo (Personnel)              (1 ton)

Cost: 240,000

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #20 on: 20 November 2016, 15:12:13 »
For that command variant of the VTOL, it's worth scrounging up another ton for Communication Equipment.  At 4 tons equivalent (3 installed, plus the one inherent in the VTOL control equipment), you gain satellite communications abilities.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 11 January 2017, 16:38:34 »
It is worth noting that there is no SRM version, and the FRR continues to purchase the basic Harasser.

if wanted the laser model could be used cheaply as an SRM unit
instead of carrying 3 tons of heat sinks it could be 3 SRM-2s or an SRM6 with a ton of ammo. plus the MG or Vehicular Flamer

IS Introductory Box Set 15 tons BV: 281 Cost: 202,150 C-bills  Movement: 9/14 (Hover) Engine: 50 ICE  Internal: 8 Armor: 40

Internal
  Armor

Front

Right

Left

Rear

Weapons        Loc    Heat
SRM 2             FR     2
Machine Gun    FR    0
Ammo             Loc    Shots
SRM 2 Ammo   BD      50
MG Ammo        BD      200
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker