Author Topic: Mech of the Week: Battle Cobra OmniMech(s)  (Read 11408 times)

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
Mech of the Week: Battle Cobra OmniMech(s)
« on: 17 February 2017, 08:16:46 »

Battle Cobra Prime, From TRO:3058

DEVELOPMENT HISTORY
The introduction of the OmniMech, and the demonstrations of its battlefield superiority, prompted a massive construction program amongst the Clans.  Each Clan put their scientist caste hard to work designing these new, flexible, and powerful weapons of war.  Clan Steel Viper, already deep in its rivalry with the Jade Falcons, was part of this first wave of OmniMech design.  The Vipers’ first OmniMech, introduced in 2870, was the Crossbow, a 65 ton ‘Mech whose primary roles were fire support.  The Crossbow’s success – its combat debut against the Smoke Jaguars was impressive – prompted the Vipers to keep innovating.  The scientists used the successful Crossbow as a basis for much of their work, incorporating several design elements into a new ‘Mech.

This new design, christened the Battle Cobra, entered service three years later, in 2873.  The design elements shared between the two OmniMechs include the use of a standard engine and an entirely arm-mounted pod design.  But whereas the heavy-weight Crossbow is a missile-heavy support design, the medium-weight Battle Cobra was built as an energy-heavy knife fighter.  Its combination of speed, durability, and firepower quickly made it the premier Steel Viper OmniMech.

SERVICE HISTORY
The Battle Cobra fills the Viper touman, but it also sees service in many other Clans.  Some of these other operators come immediately to mind, such as the Diamond Sharks (through trade), the Cloud Cobras (through trade as an ally), and the Snow Ravens & Jade Falcons (through salvage; they and the Vipers have never gotten along).  Other operators include the Burrocks, Goliath Scorpions, and Nova Cats.  The real winner of the list, though, is the Blood Spirits.  The Spirits most likely got the design from either the Ravens or Sharks, and the use of a standard engine leaps out of the page as a pillar of Spirit ‘Mech design.  The Cobra is also fairly heavily featured on some Spirit RATs.  Though not normally fans of the Cobra’s signature pulse laser – too expensive! – we know the Spirits can make them and will use them thanks to the Stooping Hawk.

CAPABILITIES
The Cobra’s 40-ton chassis houses a 240-rated standard engine, pushing the machine to a maximum ground speed of 97 kph; heat sink capacity consists of the standard ten double-strength freezers, with extra sinks tacked on only rarely.  Endo-steel structure and ferro-fibrous armor were both employed to save weight.  Armor distribution is pretty standard, consisting of six and a half tons laid out in a 9/17(5)/14(5)/11/17 pattern.  This constitutes 90% of maximum coverage.  Although not exceptionally heavy – the side torsos and arms can’t even take a Gauss round or Clan ER PPC without shedding all of their armor – the protection is adequate given the ‘Mech’s mass.  As for weaponry, the Battle Cobra packs 14 tons of pod space, which is fairly comparable with other Clan “small mediums” like the Grendel.

PRIME: The Cobra likes to fight at close range, and the Clan large pulse laser is one of the best weapons there is when it comes to punching holes at knife range.  The Battle Cobra sticks one of these in each arm, with an underslung small pulse laser along for the ride.  The small lasers provide a little extra oomph when you’re trying to put down enemy ‘Mechs, but I personally think there’s another answer to their riddle.  The Elemental was introduced in 2868, a mere five years before the Battle Cobra.  Battle armor was still being phased in and, to an extent, the Steel Vipers never completely phased out conventional infantry.  So those small pulse lasers are probably ancillary anti-infantry weapons rather than crit-seeking weapons.  If the Prime has one serious issue, it is heat; its heavy laser armament when fired on full blast overpowers the bare ten double heat sinks that constitute the cooling system.

ALPHA: The Alpha configuration takes the “all the pulse lasers” of the Prime and side-grades the concept.  Here, the arm pods each take two medium pulse lasers and three small pulse lasers, for a total armament of four mediums and six smalls.  This is a basically a more specialized version of the Prime, configured for sandblasting armor, crit-seeking, or as the infantryman’s worse nightmare.  It also features the same major flaw of the Prime in that its cooling system is woefully inadequate for a full salvo from its laser battery.  Careful target and weapon selection is critical with the Alpha as a result.

BRAVO: The Bravo appears to be a development of the Primary configuration designed not for close range fighting but for sniping.  The large pulse lasers are pulled for a pair of ER PPCs, though the underslung small pulse lasers remain.  The overheating trend continues here since the Bravo also doesn’t have any extra heat sinks, though the increase in range and raw damage output might be seen as a fair trade off.  And I say “might” because hitting +10 on the heat scale (at a full run) is a difficult pill to swallow.  I’ve often wondered why those small pulse lasers aren’t a pair of heat sinks to relieve at least some of the burden, though that’s neither here nor there.

CHARLIE: Introduced in 3062, the Battle Cobra Charlie is the first variant of this OmniMech to mount a missile weapon, in this case an ATM-9 in the in the left arm pod.  The right arm pod though is classic Cobra, with three medium pulse lasers and one small pulse laser.  The ATM has two tons of ammunition, giving it some options (I’d go for one ton of ER to harass the enemy as you close, and one ton of either standard or HE rounds for when you close the range to bring the lasers to bear).  This particular variant doesn’t have the same “infantry-murder” power as the others, but the ATMs give it a flexibility that none of the previous versions can really claim.  In the writing of this article, it seems like the ATMs more than the bread-and-butter pulse lasers really define the Charlie and its combat capabilities.  The maximum heat generation also dips thanks to the switch away from all-energy weapons; the Charlie can alpha strike while standing still and remain heat neutral. One additional note is that I personally believe that this variant is actually the work of the Blood Spirits, a prolific Battle Cobra user; the loadout is eerily similar to the Crimson Langur-Bravo, which mounts an ATM-9 and three medium lasers.

FOXTROT: Skipping over Delta and Echo, the next variant is the Foxtrot (although technically, it and the Hotel appeared before the Charlie.  What is up with these configurations?).  The F-model gives the Cobra its first jump-capable variant, sticking three jump jets in each side torso.  Armament is an Ultra AC/5 with one ton of ammunition in the right arm and three ER medium lasers in the left.  The jump capacity combined with the UAC/5 makes me think that this is supposed to be a support variant, firing its autocannon and using the jets to reposition to maintain a relative safe distance, and then sweeping in close to deliver a coup de grace after the long range weaponry has done its work.  Personally, I’m not a fan; Ultra-5s are one of my least favorite weapons in the game, and that colors my view of the Foxtrot.

HOTEL: Again skipping around in the alphabet, next comes the H-model which I believe is another product of my beloved Blood Spirits.  Like so many other H-models, the Battle Cobra H carries heavy lasers: two mediums, one in each arm.  The Star Adders may have invented the heavy laser, but the Blood Spirits have certainly adopted it as a favorite, and here they paired it with their other favorite weapon, the ER large laser, placing one in each arm along with the heavy mediums.  This gives the Hotel an extremely long reach and a solid punch at close range, but heat woes again rear their heads.  There are four more heat sinks packed into the machine for a total of fourteen, but its max heat production is 40 and its max heat dissipation is 28.  Alpha Striking with this thing should, as usual, be a last resort measure.  I mean, landing all four shots is four ten-point hits.  That’s great for hole-punching and ripping off limbs, but still.

X-RAY: The X-model, the final variant of the Clan Battle Cobra to see service, was an experimental model that was field tested during the hectic days of the Wars of Reaving.  Probably a product of the Goliath Scorpions, the X-ray packs five improved heavy medium lasers onto the ‘Mech’s frame.  One notable addition is the placement of one laser in the right torso; previously, the arm pods were the sole owners of the ‘Mech’s firepower.  The other addition is a targeting computer.  Combined with the “improved” lasers’ lack of a targeting impediment, this introduces a nice swing in the lasers’ accuracy.  Still short-ranged, the X-ray can quite reliably put fifty damage on a single target.  That’s fairly impressive, especially for a ‘Mech this size.  The X-ray never percolated to the Inner Sphere Clans but made its way to several Home Clans, so if they ever renew the invasion, this is going to no doubt be a nasty little surprise.

So that’s it, the Battle Cobra.  It’s reasonably nimble, decently armed, decently protected, and several Clans have plenty of them.  The Vipers have so many in fact that they just couldn’t stop themselves from leaving a few dozen on the fields of Tukayyid for the ComGuards to salvage. . . and promptly develop into their own OmniMech!

DEVELOPMENT HISTORY
The BTL-C-2* Battle Cobra is ComStar’s home-grown variant of the Clan OmniMech.  ComStar scientists took a good, long time redeveloping it into their own machine; eleven year passed between Tukayyid and the BTL-C-2*’s service date of 3063.  Very little is known about the development, so it remains to be seen why the gap when the DCMS put half a dozen OmniMechs into service in half the time and even House Marik – with zero combat and technical experience with OmniMechs – had the Perseus in production before the turn of the decade.

SERVICE HISTORY
This new, Spheroid model of Battle Cobra went into production in 3063 and served ComStar – and only ComStar – through the Jihad.  That it avoided wide-spread service in the Word of Blake, unlike many ComStar designs, is quite an achievement especially given WoB ROM’s capabilities and the vast materiel production capacity of the Word early on in that campaign of terror.  The design never percolated beyond ComStar, however, and all or most extent models were likely scrapped as part of Devlin Stone’s de-armament program as the MUL lists all variants as Extinct as of the Early Republic period.

CAPABILITIES
The BTL-C-2* takes almost all of its base-line construction cues directly from its progenitor.  It uses a standard engine, though this one is only a 200-rated power plant.  The smaller engine slows the machine down to a maximum ground speed of 58 kph, but the reduced speed was necessary to maintain free mass for weapon systems.  Also like its forebear, the BTL-C-2* uses endo-steel and ferro-fibrous components to save weight, though these being of Inner Sphere manufacture obviously impacts performance.  Armor is seven tons, exactly equivalent to the Clan design’s in armor points and physical layout (9/17(5)/14(5)/11/17).  A C3i computer is hard-wired into the center torso as well.

BTL-C-2O: The “Prime” configuration, the -2O strives to continue mimicking the original by placing a Spheroid-tech large pulse laser in each arm.  Unlike the original, the small pulse lasers do not appear; instead, ComStar included an eleventh heat sink.  In this configuration, the Battle Cobra makes for a decent lightweight brawler for a Level 2; its armament wants it to operate in comparatively short ranges, at which point it also works as a spotter for the rest of the C3i network.

BTL-C-2OA: In its “Alpha” configuration, the Battle Cobra takes the Prime configuration’s capabilities to a new and different level.  The C3i computer remains, of course, and is supplemented by the full suite of electronic warfare equipment: a Beagle Active Probe, a Guardian ECM Suite, and a TAG designator are all present, packed into the arm pods.  The large pulse lasers are gone, however, and in their place, the -2OA mounts three medium pulse lasers and a small pulse laser in the left arm (with the BAP), while a trio of standard medium lasers fills out the right arm (with the ECM and TAG riding shotgun).  Calling this a dedicated EW platform is simply stating the obvious, but it continues the –2O’s trend of being an excellent light brawler and spotter for a C3i-equipped Level 2.  Heat dissipation is actually not that as much of an issue, however; you can run this one pretty hot for a turn or three without killing your engine.  Keeping the small pulse out of your firing pattern means that it’s not going to racking up many points on the heat scale unless you run into plasma or Infernos, so there’s that.

BTL-C-2OB: The -2OB is ComStar’s first deviation from the Battle Cobra’s traditional energy armament, and what a deviation it is!  All of the weaponry and that eleventh freezer are yanked out and replaced with four Medium Range Missile 10-racks (two per arm) fed by a three-ton ammunition bin in the right torso.  You won’t face any heat woes in the Bravo, but personally, I’m not a fan of MRMs.  That is indeed a lot of potential damage, but MRMs have that pesky penalty on the to-hit roll, and the cluster hits table can be a savage enemy if your dice go cold.  As a C3i spotter, though, getting in and grabbing the enemy by the belt can at least mitigate this penalty.  However, given that less than a ton of armor covers the ammo bin and that there is a distinct lack of CASE protecting it. . . well.  Suffice to say that I’m not a fan of the -2OB.

BTL-C-2OC: Anyone who has tried to build a good force in the early Invasion era knows that the Inner Sphere powers liked to just slap NARC launchers on just about anything that carried a missile launcher.  By the time of the Jihad, NARC seemed to be bypassed by most defense contractors for Artemis or the TAG/semi-guided combo.  But not ComStar.  Oh no, they loved the NARC launcher so much that they designed the new-and-improved iNARC launcher and developed a bunch of special types of ammo pods for it.  The Battle Cobra Charlie mounts two such launchers, one in each arm, as its sole armament.  Where does all the leftover mass go?  Into ammunition of course!  That three-ton bin from the Bravo has been expanded to a five-ton bin on the Charlie.  There are also five types of iNARC pods; what a fortuitous coincidence!  Of course, having only four shots per ton means taking one of each ammo type is probably a bad idea, and you’re better off focusing on just two, maybe three types depending on personal preference, force generation, or expected opposition.  That C3i console is still present of course, so running in and dumping homing pods on the enemy is a good idea if you’ve got some LRM carriers in your network.  ECM pods can be hilarious if your enemy is running their own C3(i) networks, and given the timeframe that this Battle Cobra entered service, I’m sure they were put to great use against Word of Blake units.  I also like the idea of haywire pods, as they royally muck up your enemy’s targeting system; in particular, these seem like they’d be best used against opposing long range weapons carriers (ie, LRMs and gauss rifles) though the ancillary effect of preventing haywired-enemies from spotting for indirect fire could be insanely useful in urban or close terrain.

BTL-C-2OD: The Delta variant is just about as straight forward as it can get: the entire pod space is filled by four light PPCs, two to each arm, matched with a targeting computer.  This ‘Mech is a bit of lightweight sniper, standing back a bit and reaching out for some death-by-paper-cuts.  Going back to a classic ammo-less weapons set up also helps with the ‘Mech’s durability, something the Bravo and Charlie sacrificed with their CASE-less ammunition bins.  Personally, I’m not a fan of the LPPC without a capacitor to charge it up, but this is not a terrible configuration as a lightweight direct-fire support platform.

BTL-C-2OE: The -2OE, however, is on the other end of the spectrum, and seems like an advanced-tech upgrade to the -2OB.  Instead of four MRM-10s, two MML-9s are fitted – divided evenly, again, between the arm pods – with three tons of ammunition supplied.  The ammo is two tons of LRMs and one of SRMs as standard, which implies that this ‘Mech is intended as a light fire support module; instead of running up close to spot for other units in the C3i network, this is a unit intended to take advantage of said spotters and lob some LRMs down range.  Unfortunately, I feel like the LRM throw-weight of the MML is too light, so I’d recommend against this variant unless you swap the ammo to double SRM slots and a single LRM slot.  That way it can plink as it advances to contact, then pound the enemy at close range with its short-ranged salvos.  Again, though, ComStar neglected to CASE the ammunition bin, so keep those movement mods up!

BTL-C-2OF: The final variant is the -2OF “Foxtrot,” which mounts a plasma rifle in each arm with three tons of ammunition filling that right torso bin once again.  The use of plasma, of course, makes this an infantry murder-machine, which probably came in handy against Word of Blake and Protectorate formations that do tend to be combined-arms in nature.  The secondary heating effect against BattleMech targets can really throw a spanner in the works – especially with two such weapons hitting – against units that tend to run hot, such as those equipped with Triple-Strength Myomers.  This makes the Battle Cobra Foxtrot a very specialized variant, but when its particular specialty is needed, it can do some serious work.

TLDR
The Clan Battle Cobra is a decent enough striker, with good speed and decent, accurate firepower in most configurations.  The ComStar Battle Cobra is best as a brawler and spotter for C3i networks, also doing its best work at knife-fighting ranges.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
Re: Mech of the Week: Battle Cobra OmniMech(s)
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2017, 09:14:35 »
I have spoken.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2017, 10:05:35 »
Never been a Steel Viper fan, and as a consequence, don't care much for their 'Mechs. Though thinking about it, low-end OmniMechs combined with conventional infantry... that has style. Kind of unique combination really.

Anyway, the Battle Cobra. 14 side torso armor is annoying. Just one more to hit the Clan ER PPC threshold... Fortunately, 14 is 2xClan ER Medium Laser, so it is not all bad. Still, i would've moved a point from each leg to corresponding side-torso.
Though with the STD engine, side torsos aren't as important as legs. Indeed, one can see how the Vipers have maximized armor to parts that are responsible for getting the 'Mech home alive. Smart design actually.

The fluff about the OmniPod mountings being limited to arms is intriguing. But it seems this applies only to earlier models, later models are clearly updated to allow torso-pods (thus allowing configuration X), like the Crossbow OmniMech (which has a newer config with jump jets or something). And OmniMech is an OmniMech since it is about modular equipment and specialized gyro and systems to allow dynamic balancing, but nothing forbids the pod-mounts being limited to certain places... (This is why WK's fluff for what is now Atlas-III was silly, there is no such thing as "limited Omni-capabilities" exactly.)
Presumably the Vipers were trying to conserve resources. There should be a quirk "Cheap" that lowers the C-bill cost of a 'Mech.

The Prime's small pulses are unlikely to be intended against Elementals, despite them being introduced recently. It took some time for Elementals to spread across the Clans, and the Small Pulse alone isn't that effective against battle armor anyway (though it works well in combination with the LPL, the LPL strips the armor and the SPL deals the finishing blow). That said, back then the Clans did use conventional infantry, so the Vipers probably tried to make the configuration capable against all potential common enemies.

A note on the config names, H and E are usually used for Heavy Laser and ATM armed configs, respectively, but there are exceptions, like here. Hence the odd ordering. X is usually something that mounts experimental equipment. S is kind of urban-warfare configuration. For Spheroids, T configs are usually newer ones, with TSEMP cannons.

The Foxtrot is badly flawed. With low pod-space, energy weapons should be the focus with missiles as secondary options. The UAC/5 is not bad if used correctly (ie capitalizing on the low heat and long range), but here it is complete waste. An ER PPC with some ER Mediums and jump jets would have been a lot better.

The ComStar version probably took a long time to design because the ComStar got kicked out from Earth where their manufacturing centers are located. They probably had to create new factories on Tukayyid, which takes time, hence the long-development time.

The low speed is unfortunate. 5/8 is a tad slow for a 40-tonner. Still, it is not all bad.

The Comstar B should be a reasonable medium-range C3i network crit-seeker. As long as someone is feeding data for short range distance bracket, the B can create up to 8 clusters, which is pretty good crit seeking from 15 hexes away. Definitely not one of the most effective Omni-configs though.

The C is interesting, though not sure how effective it really is. Shame the iNarc had to be made as it is, its pods should have been given to standard Narc really. Between its rarity, mass and iNarc pods issues (can be brushed off!), there is little point in the system in the first place.

The D is neat and simple, and reasonably effective. Hang back, snipe.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2017, 12:34:01 »
I liked the Battle Cobra, though i can't say its big win in my department.  If it loses it arm, it might well retreat due to lack of any torso weapons.  The Clan original, has decent fire power.

However, it's too bad it's production facilities in Clan spacer on New Kent got wiped in 3075.  So she properly extinct like it's ComStar counterpart with perhaps couple hold outs in various surviving Home Clan Toumans.

ComStar Battle Cobra certainly a specialist.  Most of it's Configurations aren't ones i won't want to be part of a mainstay battle force or have bunch of them in a Level I together.  I know she's OmniMech, but all configures are really nitchy.

Prime is not bad in a urban fight, while the A is great Spotter/Electronic Warfare Machine.  Others i'm not sure of, the MRM touting thing can be interesting if you land most of your shots in, but others are not so great or stand out but decent.   C3i being stuck in there was the death sentence for the design, given the great squashing of C3i after the Jihad.

Thanks for a great article, The Eagle!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 17 February 2017, 13:39:22 »
The weapon placement on nearly every Battle Cobra config is something that deserves a second glance.  They're all with the singular exception of one HML on the X perfectly optimized for mechanizing battle armor.  Battle Cobras are superb battle taxis, especially when deployed as skirmishers.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2017, 14:31:19 »
I two was going to point out the BA taxi role. It works well with the A, since that's a good in fighter variant, but a lot of that comes down to your tactics and how you like to use BA.  You could probably use a B, and use the BA to press hard on turns when you're over heating from the PPCs, which should have made enough holes that you're little friends can swoop in and seal the deal.

I've always had a soft spot for the mech.  It seems to be the Viper's key Omni in the invasion era, and though when one looks at the competition it may be a head scratcher.  A big part of it is being tougher than it looks, thanks to the standard engine and relatively solid armor, and like a few mechs, a big part of it is just having good configurations.  Any time you can bring two Clan large pulse, the rest of the package just needs to be ok. I would of course question the cherictorization of the Prime as an in fighter; the LPL to me works better at range.

As for the SPLs, it should be remembered that when TRO3058 came out, SPLs didn't have any anti infantry abilities, and they fluff didn't make the mech's antiquity clear.  Along with the fact the even older Crossbow doesn't mount any anti infantry weapons, and that I've long felt it unreasonable that configurations would remain stable over the centuries, I don't think that's what the lasers were put there for.  I always regarded them as close range weapons of last resort, put there because the designers knew the heatsinks were too over taxed and couldn't handle firing more weapons anyway (why not just mount heatsinks, I can't say, of course; not a perfict idea).  That said, in the modern era a Raven or Fox warrior with a Battle Cobra will be glad to have a bit of infantry protection (or for a Falcon, the opportunity to do a bit of wanton slaughter) and given the toughness of the Cobra its reasonable to belive that some two century old mechs are still tromping around into the 3150s. 

I will say its too bad the X is homeworlds only, since I do quite like the look of it.  I've long been a heavy laser fan and a targeting computer fan, and iHLs and TCs together on a tough mech that can close confidently with larger mechs and hit hard is quite a treat.  As for the other variant I hadn't seen before the F... I do like jets, but the AC5 is miscast here.  The only reason the Battle Cobra and Crossbow can work with anemic pod space (provided you think they work at all, I suppose) is because they tend to mount lots of the very best weapons the Clans can make.  LPLs, PPCs, LRMs, SSRMS...

Which brings us to the IS Battle Cobra.  I don't like it.  It was a good idea, since with the SFE it is easier to replicate than other omnis (though really they should have used the Crossbow if that was the consideration) and had it come out along side the Raptor and the Firestarter and Blackjack O really early on, I might have appreciated it, but by the mid 60s there's really no need anymore.  More dropping the speed and yet failing to significantly improve pod space really lets it down.  Yes, the fixed C3i is part of that, and sure that tech is great, but there's just no way to replicate what Clan LPLs can do on an IS mech, or Clan ERLLs for that matter, so making a mech to try seems a fools errand. 

I'm most interested in the ones that don't try to be Clan mechs, but take their own route: the missile variants (more proof they should have done a Crossbow).  Yes, MRMs are terrible, but in a C3 net they can be useful, and the Battle Cobra has either the toughness to be the close in spotter with its decent armor and SFE, or it can just sit back and lob MRMs in.  And while putting MLLs on an small Omni seems wrong, on a mech that's slower than it should be and one that really wants to use the SRMs anyway I can forgive it. 
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Skyth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 17 February 2017, 19:40:01 »
I may be a Steel Viper player, but I don't think I've ever used a Battle Cobra.  More of a fan of the second line designs (Black Python et al)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 17 February 2017, 19:51:11 »
I like the idea of the Battle Cobra, but I find myself consistently underwhelmed at it.  The Stormcrow is just such a magnificent killing machine that any other Clan Medium that fails to go faster just pales in comparison, and the Battle Cobra is no exception.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2017, 20:08:25 »
I like the idea of the Battle Cobra, but I find myself consistently underwhelmed at it.  The Stormcrow is just such a magnificent killing machine that any other Clan Medium that fails to go faster just pales in comparison, and the Battle Cobra is no exception.

I don't disagree entirely, and that's no small part of the reason I can't stand mechs like the Cougar.  But, at the same time if we held to that we'd only have five or six Omni mechs and just call it a day.  Yes, the Battle Cobra competes for the some of the same space as the Stormcrow, and no it will never be as good.  It just can't be.  But, I think it does offer some good configurations that are competitively competitive (mainly because of all the pulse lasers, to be sure) and it does carve out a space for itself by being cheaper, due to the lighter tonnage and SFE. 

Now, value is tricky at the best of times in our beloved game, but I think in terms of cost and BV and just perceived sense of what is what, I think the Cobra shines.  Even just in making a bid, I'd confidently bid a Battle Cobra as being "less" than a Stormcrow (and there is some inconsistent evidence, such as the Kingfisher entry, that this takes place in the Clans) and yet I'd be confidant of getting good value from it.  Or if, as evidenced by the Blood Spirits continued focus on cost cutting, my merchants told me they could get be a trinary of Battle Cobras or a binary of Stormcrows (or whatever the actual ratio is) then I'd have a tough call to make.

But, of course, part of it is just that it does add variety and depth to the game.  If I'm the Vipers, I'm not going to take a star of Shadow Cats and Stormcrows if I want a mobile force, I'm taking Battle Cobras, probably backed by Crossbows, and then there's no mistaking who I am and what I'm about.  And, since everyone knows those mechs are worse, when I kick the crap out of my opponent anyway, no one will be able to deny how boss I am.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2017, 04:48:57 »
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but the Battle Cobra now officially has the Extended Torso Twist quirk.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #10 on: 18 February 2017, 10:20:45 »
I feel like hyper-extending actuators might've been better for the predominantly arm-mounted weaponry, but that's fine too.

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 18 February 2017, 10:23:27 »
Not officially, not yet.  That document is in Beta, which means it's subject to review and changes.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 18 February 2017, 11:47:29 »
I've always liked this mech, although I don't tend to play with the factions that use it the most all that often. When I have played one, it has always been a solid choice. It may not be able to generate sky-high movement mods, but it is just tough enough to take a round of fire and make it back out as a functional mech. I prefer the Prime variant when I have a choice. It may not have the damage potential of some of the others, but I like to keep the range open and rely on the pulse bonus to keep the odds in my favor. This mech can survive several turns trading 10-point hits with other units that have clan Large Lasers (both ER and Pulse). Sure, you will loose one of the arms at some point, but you can usually pull out another turn or two by using that arm-less side to tank extra damage. It's not like you need the side torso anyway at that point!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #13 on: 19 February 2017, 02:56:10 »
The Battle Cobra to me is more a case of "Hey kids, i'm what a Puma should have been." just a bit more chunky.  Unlike the 9 flavours of Kit fox that the Puma's variants basically were, or the Prime with its pointless extra PPC the BC's got variants that can do work at all ranges rather than just varying degrees of long range sniping.  Instead the Cobra mixes it up at all ranges and is more interesting because of it. 

Sure the Primes a bit cheesy, dual large pulse lasers on a Clan mech usually are, but its a fairly slow machine and a few solid hits will make it go away, and its not mad fast to get itself out of trouble if it does get into it.

The ComStar version is also interesting, I didn't know it actually existed :) The variants are nice and the integral C3i makes it a lethal spotter, its a darn good machine, shame it died out though. 

Thank you for this review and write up :) It was darn well done!
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 19 February 2017, 05:47:54 »
That must have been one tedious article to write. Good nontheless.
Certainly an interesting mech, what with the standard engine untypical of most clan mechs.
I mean, Clan XLs don't even significantly drop survivability; if this might loses an arm, might as well take the corresponding sidetorso with it, heat will be ok. I always wondered if standard engines are actually cheaper for the clans, given that expertise is certainly available and it's probably produced less.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 19 February 2017, 09:28:02 »
Yeah, when I signed up to write it I completely spaced the ComStar variant.  So when I realized that I was going to do twice the work. . . well.  I was not the happiest camper.  But I knuckled down and got it done with a few days to spare before deadline.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 19 February 2017, 15:30:49 »
Truth be told, I suspect no one would have faulted you for taking a pass on the IS model, as it is a genuinely different mech that needs to be used and thought of in different ways. 

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #17 on: 19 February 2017, 16:20:47 »
Nice article I cannot remember seeing the ComStar Battle Cobra before  :o
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #18 on: 19 February 2017, 16:29:43 »
Nice article I cannot remember seeing the ComStar Battle Cobra before  :o

it was one of those 'minor mention in the fluff" things for a long time, with the TRO entry mentioning it (apparently Comstar salvaged a lot of them after tukayyid and decided to reverse engineer it) but not actually getting stats until recently.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 19 February 2017, 17:07:26 »
it was one of those 'minor mention in the fluff" things for a long time, with the TRO entry mentioning it (apparently Comstar salvaged a lot of them after tukayyid and decided to reverse engineer it) but not actually getting stats until recently.

I remember the fluff entries but not the stats I actually half expected it to turn up in one of the XTROs at some point given the time it had been pushed around
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #20 on: 19 February 2017, 18:43:51 »
Because I am weirdly fond of Clan Steel Viper and their mechs, I'm a fan of the Battle Cobra.  I am a bigger fan, conceptually anyway, of the ComStar version, because it makes me laugh.

"Hey, Precentor Dave, we picked up a crapload of these on Tukayyid.  What should we do?"
"I dunno Acolyte Bob.  Try throwing them together and seeing if you can build one."

*Years later*

"Hey, Precentor Dave, remember that thing you told me to do after Tukayyid?  I finally got it to work."

"What...what did you do?"
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 19 February 2017, 19:46:19 »
Fan Art depicting an IS Battle Cobra BTL-C-2OE

http://orig03.deviantart.net/210b/f/2012/306/1/7/battle_cobra_mech_sketch_by_mecha_master-d5jqxg9.jpg

interestingly, the IS version was made on Arc Royal.. makes me wonder if the Arctic Wolf, which has a rather similar base chassis design and was made at the same place, wasn't based off Battle Cobra blueprints to some degree.
« Last Edit: 19 February 2017, 20:04:02 by glitterboy2098 »

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #22 on: 20 February 2017, 02:57:02 »

A purchase I never regretted :)

interestingly, the IS version was made on Arc Royal.. makes me wonder if the Arctic Wolf, which has a rather similar base chassis design and was made at the same place, wasn't based off Battle Cobra blueprints to some degree.

Maybe, but the Arctic Wolf had an even longer genesis with the first Omni version (another fluff to full design with Unabridged) coming out prior to the Jihad and prior to ComStar's relocation to Arc Royal.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #23 on: 20 February 2017, 10:46:40 »

A couple decades ago, I had success with a couple Battle Cobras (and a Dire Wolf) in a small, college tournament at MIT.  I used the accuracy and speed of the Prime configuration to keep the range open on a Stormcrow A and pick it apart before it could really bring its weapons into play.  Bloodright had just come out, and my opponent cried foul because he was unaware of the design.  But of course, the Battle Cobra was canon and legal for the tournament.

"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 20 February 2017, 14:01:13 »

http://orig03.deviantart.net/210b/f/2012/306/1/7/battle_cobra_mech_sketch_by_mecha_master-d5jqxg9.jpg

That looks cool part celestial part Cobra part Arctic Wolf

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 23 February 2017, 16:07:16 »

The pic is great, but does it look like the CT lower area is a bit off?
Also, the Comstar variants are the only reason I got a Battle Cobra mini, as I am not usually a clan player, and even then, almost only Nova Cat, or the Occasional Ghost Bear....

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #26 on: 27 February 2017, 23:24:58 »
Clan Steel Viper is a guilty pleasure of mine.  The Battle Cobra is the reason.  Not perfect, but she has some serious style.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 27 April 2017, 12:49:39 »
So, how would a Level II with six ComStar Battle Cobras work?

There are 7 configs, which would allow a Level II have one of each except one. The MRM config is probably the easiest one to drop, the iNarc config can be used to support the MML config and do some dirty tricks.

For extra fun, we'll make it a Choir formation (even though that is a Word of Blake thing really) and add six Level 1s of Battle Armor. For flavor reasons these should be Hurricanes (Tornados), Nighthawks, Kobolds or IS Standards.

Alternatively, we'll assume the Word of Blake has captured the Battle Cobras (normally available to ComStar only) and uses them, so we can add WoB Battle Armor as options for the Choir.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 27 April 2017, 13:38:28 »
if WOB, i'd use IS standards.. would let them paint the unit up in standard Comstar markings for false flag ops and maximum battlefield chaos.

Register