Author Topic: Recapture of Tikonov  (Read 5605 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: Recapture of Tikonov
« Reply #60 on: 04 May 2017, 00:09:08 »
Until we get bored or the mods decide it's time to close the thread.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: 04 May 2017, 04:42:49 »
Just thinking, the OP has been answered. How long are we going to over analyze a plot point to a story for a table top war game with giant stompy robots?   
I assumed that's the whole point of the forums?...
Making the dark age a little brighter, one explosion at a time.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

ajcbm

• Sergeant
« Reply #62 on: 04 May 2017, 05:24:07 »
That's not true in 3050 (20 Year Update) or 3054 (Objective Raids).  I'd be interested to see your source.

Add in the mercenaries... Arcadians, Cunningham's Commandos, etc...

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: 04 May 2017, 05:41:51 »
How many of those are contracted directly by the march lord, and how many by the AFFS and federal government? I'd bet more the latter than the former; no reason for the march lord to pay for mercenaries for something that someone else would be willing to pick up the tab.
Making the dark age a little brighter, one explosion at a time.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

ajcbm

• Sergeant
« Reply #64 on: 04 May 2017, 05:52:59 »
How many of those are contracted directly by the march lord, and how many by the AFFS and federal government? I'd bet more the latter than the former; no reason for the march lord to pay for mercenaries for something that someone else would be willing to pick up the tab.

As the Victoria War shows, the Capellan March Command is in charge of all units in the Capellan March. So if you happen to have the Davion Assault Guards visiting...

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #65 on: 04 May 2017, 08:14:38 »
Relevant mercenaries are included in those listings.  Sure, there might be some in the area under corporate contract or whatever, but by definition those units aren't under the March Lord's command.  More importantly, if the FC has off-the-books mercs, there's every reason to think that the CC does too.  For unlisted mercs to matter, the Capellan March would have to employ them at a significantly higher rate than the CC, and there's simply no evidence for that.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #66 on: 04 May 2017, 11:19:51 »
Some minor FYIs/points
-In 3059, the Duke of the New Syrtis and Minister of the Capellan March was still Morgan Hasek-Davion.  George Hasek didn't take office until 3060 after word reached of his father's assassination reached the Federated Suns.  While he probably temporarily took command of the March (or shared the powers with his mother) during his father's absence it is unlikely that he would have invaded the Capellan Confederation without his father's okay.  That doesn't mean he couldn't have tried to reclaim independent Chaos March worlds.

-Shattered Sphere doesn't provide any mercenary deployment for the Federated Suns or the Lyran Alliance.  The reasoning given is: "No mercenary units were included, as they will fight for the hand that feeds them." (SS, p26)  Of course that claim would later prove to be false.

-The Ministers of the three Marches (well four now) are not automatically given complete control over all forces within their respective Marches.  The High Command or a local noble may retain direct control over certain units with the High Command retaining control over key units and local nobles retaining control over their personal units (ex. Duke Stephenson retaining control over the New Ivaarsen Chasseurs).  Of course, the Ministers are powerful individuals who can influence units to support them as Duchess Hasek did in the years leading up to the Victoria War (it didn't help that many AFFS military leaders were not happen with leaders on New Avalon especially their lackluster efforts to rebuild the AFFS after the Jihad).

-The Capellan March did not have sufficient military strength to both retake the Sarna March and defend their own territory from a possible Capellan counter-attack (and a possible Taurian invasion as well).
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Register