Author Topic: A challenge for the Mathematics Obsessives out there...  (Read 1629 times)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Okay, instead of just going with the usual way I do things, I'm going to be specific.

I want an Ohio class ballistic missile submarine,with as close to the real-world loadout as you can manage, and capabilities that reflect appropriate Battletech type technology.

That's right, get as CLOSE to the real-world as you can manage for this, including tonnage, size, weapons load, dive depth, speed...using Battletech's construction rules and BAR-10 armor.

It's for a little project.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: A challenge for the Mathematics Obsessives out there...
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2022, 08:15:16 »
Ok, I'm using 16,764 tons for the unit weight.  Template D is the size (even though that's a little long... C is too short).

Chassis: Base (0.17), TL C (1.14), Armored (1.5), Submersible (1.8 ): 0.52785 total multiplier, 8,849 tons

Engine: Base (0.009), TL C Fission (1.15), Movement Factor (2 Cruise yields 8 ): 0.126 total multiplier, 2,112.5 tons

Armor: 927 points of BAR 10 at TL C (150 kgs per point): 139.5 tons (155 Front/Front Left/Front Right, 154 Aft/Aft Left/Aft Right)

24 White Shark Launchers (120 tons each): 2,880 tons
24 White Shark Missiles (40 tons each): 960 tons

4 Thunderbolt-20 Torpedo Launchers (closest to "heavyweight torpedoes"): 60 tons
27 shots of ammunition: 9 tons

Field Kitchen: 3 tons

15 Officers: 150 tons
140 Crew: 700 tons

Consumables: 300 tons (387 days)

Cargo/Spares: 600 tons

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2022, 17:04:02 »
seems like you could cut back on the # of launchers.. the IRL subs are limited in how many SLBM's they can launch at a single time, mostly due issues of blast effects and the potential for them to hit each other during launch. the fastest i've seen videos of online was a 4 missile launch from a russian sub which had about 1 missile per 8-10 seconds.  i'd guess you could get away with launching multiple once if you fired from staggered locations across the ship's Silo's (you can always just fluff it as having a multiple tube per launcher design with no reloader.) but not by much.

my own suggestion would be to reduce the number of launchers to 6, and assume that it unloads its missile load across 4-6 turns. which given the turn length difference between ground and space, effectively means a single space turn.
« Last Edit: 18 July 2022, 17:09:39 by glitterboy2098 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2022, 17:32:12 »
Both the US and the Russians used to do "ripple launches"...  ::)

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2022, 10:17:07 »
I'd cut back on the supplies a bit. A real boat only has about 100 days worth of consumables, and then, it's getting pretty thin.

Also, ROF is about 4 SLBMs/minute, IIRC. We did train for a 24 tube ripple launch, and the boat was theoretically capable of that, but test launches were 2 missiles, fired individually. You'll want a remote sensor dispenser to replicate the 3" countermeasures launcher, and some communications gear for the radio room and sensor equipment.

Also, the Ohio class boats were built more for speed than under ice operations, so the armor could be reduced slightly.

Crew count looks good, as well.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2022, 11:38:06 »
Thanks Nerd!  I based the endurance on Cannonshop's previous work, and what I learned about during my (albeit short) experience in SSNs (canned food under plywood on the deck for extended deployments... boomers don't need to do that).  The armor was my swag at HY-80 on top of the ballast tanks vs. the pressure hull.

With regard to glitterboy's point about online video, you generally don't see the actual limits of high-end military hardware online ("high-end" here meaning those platforms north of $1B at least... tanks and fighter aircraft fail this test so far).  I'll also say that anything we can do, the Russians can do almost as well (maybe a few times less than us, but you know... quantity has a quality all its own...  ::)).

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #6 on: 31 July 2022, 14:14:20 »
The metallurgy for HY-80 is based on Special Treatment Steel, so it would be effective for armor.

If you want to eat up tonnage, a few escape pods wouldn't hurt. Not true to life, but would be an effective substitute for SEIE suits.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 31 July 2022, 14:41:50 »
They have suits now?  It was Steinke hoods when I was in subs...  ???