Author Topic: Need Roman history and MH advisors for a fanfic; Hegemon working thread  (Read 7534 times)

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Re: Need Roman history and Marian Hegemony advisors for a fanfic
« Reply #30 on: 31 July 2022, 10:48:59 »
Oh, absolutely.   >:D  But its going to take time to get there, which is a funny thing to say given he became Ceasar on page 1.  Not what he expected to happen waking up that morning, I'd say.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #31 on: 31 July 2022, 12:12:47 »
If you have time send me sheet 1 so I can read it
As for Higher Education, the only thing mentioned is the Bellorum and perhaps something in Baccalieu since the Techwizards train their people.
But give him some love and create a complete University would be the most logical

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #32 on: 31 July 2022, 12:35:03 »
By the by I'm a Lothian partisan, so you know... take my input with THAT grain of salt...  :D

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 31 July 2022, 14:25:08 »
"All roads lead to Neuva Roma."  One day, we shall travel these roads together, for the glory of the Caesar!

Until then, Adacus, PM sent.
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #34 on: 31 July 2022, 17:18:50 »
Thanks!

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 05 August 2022, 20:06:03 »
I'm back.  Camping with kids is nothing like going on Ex for the weekend, btw.

Lots of culture questions, not many Game-info stuff, I'll be starting to type it up in a day or two, have to start laundry, trailer cleaning, all the good stuff.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #37 on: 06 August 2022, 05:22:44 »
I'm back.  Camping with kids is nothing like going on Ex for the weekend, btw.

Lots of culture questions, not many Game-info stuff, I'll be starting to type it up in a day or two, have to start laundry, trailer cleaning, all the good stuff.

Your question what you need and if you need more patrician families to give more background color I have another 30 of variable sizes and interests

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 06 August 2022, 10:20:12 »
No, minor background stuff.

You know, I think there's a lack of MH fiction because of all the holes.  Just enough to sound cool would be ok, but I'm constantly trying to balance 'nuts in sheets' and 'crazy militaristic ancient romans'.  You just about need a  english-latin dictionary and a BT Hegemony sourcebook to try writing anything, and I already have an on-going project.I

So far, I'm writing it as 'Day: X ', three days in after the MC becomes Caesar, but it's very top-heavy, as I think of these things.  I'm sure people will either love or hate it.  I plan to reach 'Day: 7' and end it there, but beyond the most obvious - Primitive tech, assassin, and giant conspiracy to remove the O'Reillys.  Maybe a bit about Neuva Roma being declared safe to use and prompting a boom.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #39 on: 06 August 2022, 10:25:26 »
No, minor background stuff.

You know, I think there's a lack of MH fiction because of all the holes.  Just enough to sound cool would be ok, but I'm constantly trying to balance 'nuts in sheets' and 'crazy militaristic ancient romans'.  You just about need a  english-latin dictionary and a BT Hegemony sourcebook to try writing anything, and I already have an on-going project.I

So far, I'm writing it as 'Day: X ', three days in after the MC becomes Caesar, but it's very top-heavy, as I think of these things.  I'm sure people will either love or hate it.  I plan to reach 'Day: 7' and end it there, but beyond the most obvious - Primitive tech, assassin, and giant conspiracy to remove the O'Reillys.  Maybe a bit about Neuva Roma being declared safe to use and prompting a boom.

Send me if you want your concerns by pm and I'll review my notes from my 4-year Marian Campaign, I may have material there that will be useful to you

Yes, and if you're right, not having stories written from a Marian perspective other than a small one in Fall of Illyria leaves too many gaps in pretty much everything.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 12 August 2022, 01:21:06 »
Alright, I've begun typing up the handwritten pages and expanding some of the different scenes and ideas to present Cyrus O'Reilly, second son and heir of Ignatius O'Reilly as he survives his father and older brothers death in a helicopter accident and an assassin in the Palace who kills his mother before dying at the hand of the Ceremonial Guards.  The story is a first-person viewpoint, and will be about 7 chapters, each of a single day, covering the first couple days as he ascends to Ceasar of the Hegemony,and then stretching out to allow for time and further development.  Rough estimates is to end the final chapter on the anniversary of his family's death with a marriage announcement and maybe a follow-up story sometime if I need a smaller project to distract me from the bigger stuff and RL issues.

I'd like to invite people who want to be involved in correcting my poor understanding of Hegemony society to PM me with advice.  I'd prefer to do chapters (Or 'Day: X', in this case.) of 4-5,000 words, correct mistakes in terms of, well, terms, background, and existing canon information before I put it up on the website's fan fiction page.

Not much to offer as an incentive, other than 'Thanks to' and a desire to read something about an interesting faction.

Adacas, I'm sending you the first page or two (Please, let me know what you think.) and the first question is; would the Ceasar's family have politically important women of important families acting as maids to the Ceasar's wife?  I'm thinking they might, both as a lure to marry someone in the Ceasar's Familia or a noble advisor and as a convenient 'honored guest' in case of treason.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #41 on: 12 August 2022, 04:03:43 »
Alright, I've begun typing up the handwritten pages and expanding some of the different scenes and ideas to present Cyrus O'Reilly, second son and heir of Ignatius O'Reilly as he survives his father and older brothers death in a helicopter accident and an assassin in the Palace who kills his mother before dying at the hand of the Ceremonial Guards.  The story is a first-person viewpoint, and will be about 7 chapters, each of a single day, covering the first couple days as he ascends to Ceasar of the Hegemony,and then stretching out to allow for time and further development.  Rough estimates is to end the final chapter on the anniversary of his family's death with a marriage announcement and maybe a follow-up story sometime if I need a smaller project to distract me from the bigger stuff and RL issues.

I'd like to invite people who want to be involved in correcting my poor understanding of Hegemony society to PM me with advice.  I'd prefer to do chapters (Or 'Day: X', in this case.) of 4-5,000 words, correct mistakes in terms of, well, terms, background, and existing canon information before I put it up on the website's fan fiction page.

Not much to offer as an incentive, other than 'Thanks to' and a desire to read something about an interesting faction.

Adacas, I'm sending you the first page or two (Please, let me know what you think.) and the first question is; would the Ceasar's family have politically important women of important families acting as maids to the Ceasar's wife?  I'm thinking they might, both as a lure to marry someone in the Ceasar's Familia or a noble advisor and as a convenient 'honored guest' in case of treason.

Ok, no problem. Regarding the subject of a member of the patriciate working as an assistant, it could be the case of Middle-Range Families, a Patrician Family of Power would place its members in the Structure of the MHAF, Marian Arms Inc, the ATC or the Diplomatic or Cultural Corps of the Hegemony.
It even occurred to me that House O'Reilly had created a program for young patricians from less famous families as a way to balance the balance of power between the different houses.
In the case of a family of power it could well be as you say, that someone they want as the wife of one of their children is taken into the service of the Wife of Cesar, perhaps there would even be a pre-agreement of houses to marry her with the Brother of Cyrus, and now the responsibility should fall to him, to fulfill the deal or not but there would always be consequences of a cancellation remember those agreements with "marries the Heir"

I have some more ideas but I send them to you by PM

Red Pins

• Major
I had to start putting stuff out because I'm running out of time, but if people could read it and help keep me kinda on track I'd appreciate it.  I've decided Hegemon was a good-sounding title, and its in the fan fiction forum.

Red Pins

• Major
...How are the common citizens of the MH referred to?  Mr. and Mrs.?  Pleb (surname)?  What?

idea weenie

• Major
I had to start putting stuff out because I'm running out of time, but if people could read it and help keep me kinda on track I'd appreciate it.  I've decided Hegemon was a good-sounding title, and its in the fan fiction forum.

Here's a link to Hegemon so people can go directly to it

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
...How are the common citizens of the MH referred to?  Mr. and Mrs.?  Pleb (surname)?  What?

The theme of the courtesy names or titles could be very varied from the Formal of Courtesy for the position that they have to the daily formal, and it can even be in both main castes that are the Patricians and Plebeians
Slaves with each other by name and with either of the other two castes as Lord or Master failing that.
A more colloquial treatment cannot be ruled out between a master and a slave who have known each other all their lives or who have a more intimate relationship (it happened in Rome, it could happen in the Hegemony)

Red Pins

• Major
A couple fast questions;

How would the Caesar address the two civilian heads of the Ordo Vigilis and Internal Security, in a meeting of his father's privy council (Speaking of, what would the Council's name be?)

How would people address the dead assassin?  Her family are Patricians.  'Lady (last name)?'   How would the Caesar address her parents before sending them to be executed?

What, actually, is the salute of the MHAF?  Stand at attention, raise your arm - do they yell, "Hail Caesar", or what?  I've pencilled in a scene where Cyrus pulls a knife from his robes and slashes the Imperator across the belly, grabs him by the chin and lays it on the mans jugular while threatening to kill him and his family and burying him with the assassin, etc.  (Bandit king stuff.)

Would they yell," Hail, Caesar", after he does it it or stay silent?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
"Ave Caesar" is probably better, assuming that's the proper salute.

Red Pins

• Major
Ugh, my Google-fu has failed me.  I see lots of rewrites in my future.  I need 2500 words at a minimum to finish chapter one, and it's starting to look like Hegemony culture was put in a blender and this popped out.  Wish there was more source info on miscellaneous stuff like this.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
A couple fast questions;

How would the Caesar address the two civilian heads of the Ordo Vigilis and Internal Security, in a meeting of his father's privy council (Speaking of, what would the Council's name be?)

How would people address the dead assassin?  Her family are Patricians.  'Lady (last name)?'   How would the Caesar address her parents before sending them to be executed?

What, actually, is the salute of the MHAF?  Stand at attention, raise your arm - do they yell, "Hail Caesar", or what?  I've pencilled in a scene where Cyrus pulls a knife from his robes and slashes the Imperator across the belly, grabs him by the chin and lays it on the mans jugular while threatening to kill him and his family and burying him with the assassin, etc.  (Bandit king stuff.)

Would they yell," Hail, Caesar", after he does it it or stay silent?

1) Interior Council, Internal Security Council as you want is fine, you could put it in Latin.

2) The Assassins and Traitors automatically lose the titles or classes that identify them, they are treated by name in the best of cases
As for the punishment, in these cases it is always death, both for the executor and for his patrician house.

3) The Greeting is "Ave Cesar" as you have already been mentioned.
That Cyrus O'Reilly does that lowers him, as a good Marian he knows that it is better to give examples, the chemical interrogation is more reliable than cutting it down
And the public Execution on the cross of the Imperator and his entire house is a very clear fact that no one, whatever his social class, is far from the Justice of Caesar.

4) The assent to the order of Cesar could vary according to the rank, low ranking officers of the MHAF could be assent and abide by the order
A superior officer "Whatever you order My Cesar"
A Senator or political office "This is how His Highness will do it"

Red Pins

• Major
For the latin-educated, I'm using a couple latin terms.  Are these acceptable?

Consilium Securitatis – Security Council
Collegium Bellorum Imperium – Imperial War College
Universitas Alphard – University of Alphard
Cubicula – council chambers
Officium Caesaris – Office of the Caesar, similar to ‘Office of the Prime Minister’
Scriba Caesaris – Scribe of the Caesar, member of the Office, personal aide

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
For the latin-educated, I'm using a couple latin terms.  Are these acceptable?

Consilium Securitatis – Security Council
Collegium Bellorum Imperium – Imperial War College
Universitas Alphard – University of Alphard
Cubicula – council chambers
Officium Caesaris – Office of the Caesar, similar to ‘Office of the Prime Minister’
Scriba Caesaris – Scribe of the Caesar, member of the Office, personal aide

Literally off memory, the cubicula was a room in a higher-class/status home. Think of it like a combination bedroom, office, and prayer room and you'd be on the right track.

You may or may not find this helpful, but here is a reasonable (but brief and directed) discussion on Roman government buildings:

https://brewminate.com/administrative-and-government-buildings-of-the-roman-forum/#:~:text=Comitium%20%E2%80%93%20The%20Comitium%20is%20where%20all%20official,including%20the%20Curis%20%28the%20Senate%20house%29%20and%20theRostra.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Red Pins

• Major
Thanks.  So, do these make sense to you, or an I just making weird sounding gibberish up here?

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
Thanks.  So, do these make sense to you, or an I just making weird sounding gibberish up here?

The terms as far as possible are correct as they tell you the term Cubicula is somewhat ambiguous for a public office

Concilium interiore could be the term for that advice you mention

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
Re: Need Roman history and MH advisors for a fanfic; Hegemon working thread
« Reply #54 on: 03 September 2022, 09:40:17 »

Once you allow the magic of a couple thousand years of human advancement, anything become possible when it comes to the use of language, especially when the milieu in question is a popular view of Rome undertaken consciously by the borrowers that are removed by those thousands of years (both in time and space).

So, sure, those terms are just as valid as anything else.

Take a run through this site to look up a lot of useful terms and situations: https://www.thoughtco.com/roman-terms-glossary-120761

It is not exhaustive, but gives you something to work from, certainly.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Red Pins

• Major
Re: Need Roman history and MH advisors for a fanfic; Hegemon working thread
« Reply #55 on: 03 September 2022, 18:16:36 »
I've gotten to the point of just avoiding them, or using the English to Latin translation online to come up with something, but thanks.  Halfway done Day 2, still working but hoping to have it done this weekend!

Register