Author Topic: -UK Variants...  (Read 6287 times)

NuclearBuddha

• Corporal
-UK Variants...
« on: 09 July 2011, 20:58:51 »
...such as the WVR-8K-UK.  Are these canonical units?  If so, what is their source?

Rael

• Warrant Officer
Re: -UK Variants...
« Reply #1 on: 09 July 2011, 21:19:35 »
They're from Mechforce UK, and are non-canon.

NuclearBuddha

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 09 July 2011, 23:06:18 »
Thank you!

John_Hawk

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2011, 17:12:10 »
Next question -- what are the TF variants from?  :)

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2011, 17:15:39 »
Tech Factory
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2011, 17:16:51 »
Are any of them (TF, UK, Batchall, etc.) cannon, or even apocryphal?
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

NuclearBuddha

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2011, 17:18:07 »
Are any of them (TF, UK, Batchall, etc.) cannon, or even apocryphal?
-UK apparently isn't, so a good assumption would be that none are.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #7 on: 12 July 2011, 17:29:11 »
-UK apparently isn't, so a good assumption would be that none are.

That's correct. All these units are unofficial and located in the unofficials.zip file. If you delete this file, MM will be down to official/canon units only.

BTW: It's canon, not cannon. The thing with one n means it belongs in the official BTU, the thing with two n is what you use to shoot your neighbor's cat with ;)
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
« Reply #8 on: 12 July 2011, 19:34:52 »
BTW: It's canon, not cannon. The thing with one n means it belongs in the official BTU, the thing with two n is what you use to shoot your neighbor's cat with ;)

Yes, I know, it was a typo I didn't catch until I saw the reply.  But thank you for reminding me.
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 13 July 2011, 02:37:22 »
All these units are unofficial and located in the unofficials.zip file. If you delete this file, MM will be down to official/canon units only.
Actually, I'd say they are apocryphal - MechForce UK was a licensed organisation, after all, with permission by FASA to publish BT material. Even if FASA wouldn't accept these publications as canonical, they were produced under a valid license and that still makes them 'official' and somewhat less Fanon that others. Knowing the original MFUK charter might help in shedding some light on this issue.
There's also the fact that several MFUK 'Mechs had miniatures made for them.

(Mind you, I am not trying to argue that the MFUK 'Mechs should be regarded as Canon - but they are more than simply fan-made stuff.)
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Stahlseele

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 14 July 2011, 15:57:42 »
the MFUK Mechs are Min/Maxed all to hell and back . .
Quote from one of the Mechwarrior: Living Legends Mod Developers:
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness ****** the shit ****** random!'

Rael

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 15 July 2011, 20:09:57 »
Their IS mechs are OK, but most of the Clan ones are either really crazy (cool) or really munchy (bleh).

Regarding their canonicity, I don't think trying to determine different grades of fanon/unofficial is something that will work well.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 16 July 2011, 04:02:17 »
Regarding their canonicity, I don't think trying to determine different grades of fanon/unofficial is something that will work well.
I was going by the Sarna BTW approach, which has 3 possible attributes:
- Canonical (as per Herb's definition);
- Apocryphal (produced by an official source but not canonical)
- Non-canon (fanon, fan-fiction)
Seems to work fairly well.

Apocrypha technically fall under Non-canon, but as a matter of fact there are different grades of apocrypha.

Some apocrypha used to be proper canon (BattleTechnology, StarDate, Update flyers), some are treated as near-canon even by TPTB (Crescent Hawks, MechWarrior and MechCommander computer games).

Some fall in the middle ground - original German products that were never translated/published in English (a batch of novels and some original FanPro products), BattleDroids 'Mechs like the Ostroc mk2 that weren't carried over to BattleTech 2nd Edition.

And some fall towards the low end of the ladder - like MechForce UK and Germany publicatons that didn't go through any checking or approval process on FASA's/FanPro's side.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Headshot

• Master Sergeant
  • Trust me. I know what i'm doing.
« Reply #13 on: 30 July 2011, 07:47:04 »
While TPTB may "borrow" bits and pieces from them sometimes (i think the plasma weapons were theirs?), in general MFUK will never, ever be canon, and for one simple reason: RAC/20  :D

Grave

• Lieutenant
  • All Your Salvage Are Belong To Us
« Reply #14 on: 30 July 2011, 08:49:28 »
While TPTB may "borrow" bits and pieces from them sometimes (i think the plasma weapons were theirs?), in general MFUK will never, ever be canon, and for one simple reason: RAC/20  :D

jaysus.  :o

Yea, it really is that fast....

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 31 July 2011, 15:48:58 »
Thats nothin. I hammered out stats for a (Nigh Useless) RAC/30 along with a bunch of other crazy autocannons once. you needed something like 3 tons of ammo just to fire a single full burst.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem