Author Topic: Converting HBS pilots to TW table top  (Read 657 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Converting HBS pilots to TW table top
« on: 17 June 2023, 10:14:41 »
While the HBS pilots get skills in four categories and our TW pilots just have two . . . TW mechwarriors CAN get SPAs.  Unless I missed it, I have not seen this as a discussion.

So what SPA would you use to reflect these abilities?  Or what SPA would grant some similar advantage?

Multi-Target
ACTION: Fire weapons at up to three separate targets within this 'Mech's current firing arc.
This is easy IMO, the SPA Multi-Tasker

Breaching Shot
PASSIVE: Attacks with a single weapon ignore COVER and GUARDED on the target.
I think you have 3 choices here- Marksmen, Human TRO, or Sharpshooter

Bulwark
PASSIVE: Gain 20% additional damage reduction while in COVER or GUARDED.
?

Coolant Vent
ACTION: Remove 50 extra heat this round. For the next three rounds gain an extra 8 heat per round. 4 round cooldown.
All I can see is Hot Dog

Sure Footing
PASSIVE: This unit generates an extra EVASIVE charge from movement actions (can exceed its maximum). If the movement was not a sprint, jump, or charge to melee, this unit also gains ENTRENCHED.
?

Ace Pilot
PASSIVE: This unit can move after shooting if it has not moved yet.
?

Sensor Lock
ACTION: Select a target within sensor range to reveal it until the end of the current round and remove two of its EVASIVE charges. The target also gains two SENSORS IMPAIRED effects.
?

Master Tactician
PASSIVE: 'Mechs piloted by this 'MechWarrior gain +1 Initiative, and remove one bar of stability damage when Reserving.
?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

DaevaHuG0

• Recruit
  • Not a Poltergeist
Re: Converting HBS pilots to TW table top
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2023, 13:58:56 »
For Master Tactician: Combat Intuition or Tactical Genius.

For Sensor Lock: Oblique Attacker, Forward Observer, or Eagle's Eyes.

For Sure Footing: Speed Demon, maybe.

For Bulwark: Terrain Master (Forest Ranger), since one of the bonuses is boost cover from wooded hexes.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2023, 16:59:45 »
For Sure Footing, I've heard of an SPA called "Float Like a Butterfly".  Apparently, it's in one of the books I don't have, sorry!  :-\

Hammerhead

• Master Sergeant
  • "ZEUS - Premier Lyran Recon since 2787."
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2023, 18:51:28 »
For Sure Footing, I've heard of an SPA called "Float Like a Butterfly".  Apparently, it's in one of the books I don't have, sorry!  :-\

It’s in the new Alpha Strike book at least, dunno about anywhere else.

It’s like the defensive version of Lucky; force an opponent to re-roll to hit or crit rolls once per point, if I remember correctly. I’m not near my book at the moment…

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2023, 22:50:53 »

It's in the Alpha Strike: Commander's Edition and Empire Alone.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2023, 06:08:28 »
since breaching shot specifies 1 weapon, the sharp shooter style pilot abilities that let you shoot just 1 weapon but with aimed shot/crit bonuses make the most sense.

Bulwark, as mentioned, meshes well with forest terrain spec for cover bonus.

Sure footing is tough as maneuvering ace gives a bonus versus skidding but nothing just makes you harder to hit while you shoot.  So I'd go with maneuvering ace, as sometimes the sidestep can get you to a place by spending less facing changes giving more hexes moved for evasion, without taking away shooting like speed demon.

Register