Author Topic: Heavy Equipment of the Bastion: Someone's still building bimodal LAMs?  (Read 387 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Improved Bimodal Conversion System
Introduced: 2825
  Long considered a technological dead end by the SLDF, the bimodal conversion system gained a new lease on life in the Bastion, specifically with its vast, spread out spacer community, who considered the intermediate airmech mode of standard LAMs to be an unnecessary complication to the design process. It was not long after the Bastion had been established that its major Spacer communities resurrected the once abandoned Cosmos and Shadow Hawk LAMs as part of their security forces, and the spacers would continue to research improvements to the system.
  Unfortunately, a lack of funds, or any sort of unified research program on the part of the spacer community, would delay real progress for decades, with the first LAMs equipped with the Improved Bimodal Conversion System not entering service until 2825. And even then, the results were somewhat disappointing. Despite lacking the option for an airmech mode entirely, the bimodal system still requires essentially the same amount of equipment as a "standard" trimodal conversion system, which meant the hoped for greater efficiency over standard LAMs never manifested. Though it still weighs roughly the same, the simpler conversion system does offer some advantage in maintenance and reliability, however.
  Even if the system hasn't quite lived up to the hopes and dreams of its designers, the major Belter communities have still fully adopted it, deploying hundreds of upgraded Cosmos and Shadow Hawk LAMs among their defense forces.

Game Rules: An Improved Bimodal Conversion System takes up ten percent of the mech's total mass, but otherwise functions identically to the standard rules for Bimodal LAMs
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
Huh. Makes sense from a use perspective, but IIRC the AirMech mode was pretty much a side effect of the transformation sequence? Of course fluff may have been changed since then.

I took it in another direction; 6.66% weight, but limited to either Mech/AirMech or AirMech/Fighter conversion for bipeds (not going all the way from mech to fighter seems like it should be lighter to me). Quads got the "canon" bimodal Mech/Fighter conversion since I figured that transformation could be just "Tuck in legs, extend wings".

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Huh. Makes sense from a use perspective, but IIRC the AirMech mode was pretty much a side effect of the transformation sequence? Of course fluff may have been changed since then.

The first LAM was exclusively bi-modal, so under current fluff it appears the Airmech was a deliberate (or semi-deliberate?) later innovation. But this is still partly why the Improved Bi-modal configuration didn't get any weight savings over the standard tri-modal design. Whether or not there's an intermediate step it's still basically folding the same weight into a passably aerodynamic shape.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
A BattleMech that can be ANYWHERE on a planet in relatively short order is a HUGE advantage.  That's completely aside from any AirMech advantages at the tactical level... ;)

kindalas

• Warrant Officer
My solution for Bimodal Lams is to give them a +2 bonus to their safe thrust when in Fighter Mode and to treat them as if they have a partial wing when in mech mode.

Everything else I left the same.