Author Topic: Expanded Transit Disorientation Syndrome (TDS)  (Read 2210 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Expanded Transit Disorientation Syndrome (TDS)
« on: 06 May 2020, 17:59:40 »
After reading the outstanding fan fiction by the likes of Cannonshop, Giovanni Blasini, and Liam's Ghost, followed by a closer examination of the TDS trait in AToW, it struck me this particular trait could use quite a bit more detail.  The wording of the TDS trait in AToW implies "normal" people still experience some kind of negative effects from a hyperspace jump (save for a blessed minority that is "Jump Blind").  With that as a basis, I propose the following optional rule to expand the range of hyperspace jump effects.  Double jumps could literally kill characters at the -400 and -500 levels.

Code: [Select]
XP Cost Name Description
+100 Jump Blind Character never suffers any ill effects from a hyperspace jump, but also takes a -2 to any Navigation/K-F Jump rolls
0 "Normal" Normal characters are stunned for 5-BOD minutes after a hyperspace jump.  The margin of success on a WIL check also reduces this time.
-100 Typical TDS Character suffers the effects of TDS as outlined in AToW, page 127.
-200 Jump Sensitive Character suffers the effects of TDS for double the duration, but also gains a +1 bonus to Navigation/K-F Jump rolls.
-300 Hyperspace Sensitive Character suffers the effects of TDS for triple the duration, but also may require medical attention, and certainly
requires significant personal hygiene.  The seizures make quite a mess.  At this level, characters also suffer from
a Madness as per AToW, page 110 (with the exception of "Regression" or "Split Personality").  Optionally, a
character can take on a Compulsion/Addiction to anti-depression/anxiety/psychotic drugs at the -1 TP level, but
suffers the ill effects whenever they miss their dose, not just after a jump.  Characters choosing this option (and
on their meds) only suffer effects as per the -2 TP level above.  The character gains a +3 bonus to Navigation/K-F
Jump rolls.
-400 Hypersensitive Characters require significant medical attention after a jump.  The convulsions cause significant bodily harm, equal
to 6-BOD points of physical damage.  And a long shower and complete change of clothes are required.  It's literally
disgusting.  Similar to the above, a -2 TP equivalent addiction to anti-depressant/anxiety/psychotic drugs can reduce
this to the -2 TP level of pain per jump, but again, suffers the full effects if they miss a dose.  Taking on only a -1 TP
level of addiction reduces this to the equivalent of a -3 TP Compulsion/Madness (with the same conditions as above).
Refusing medication entirely leaves them with the equivalent of a -4 TP Compulsion/Madness.  The character gains a
+5 bonus to Navigation/K-F Jump rolls.
-500 One With the Cosmos The first jump a character experiences at this level literally drives them insane.  In addition to the physical damage
outlined at -400 (regardless of medication), even a -2 TP Compulsion/Addiction still leaves them with the equivalent of a
-3 TP Compulsion/Madness (subject to the same restrictions as above).  Lower levels of Compulsion/Addiction increase
the equivalent level of Compulsion/Madness. The only upside is that the character gains a +7 bonus on Navigation/K-F
Jump rolls.
« Last Edit: 25 November 2023, 05:47:27 by Daryk »

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Re: Exapnded Transit Disorientation Syndrome (TDS)
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2020, 18:26:21 »
Not bad.  I can't recall what the normal effect is on someone equivalent to 0/"Normal" under the standard rules, other than nausea and vertigo are described, so I'm not sure if 5-BOD minutes is OK, or if that's too long, but otherwise looks good.

Oh, and I might make "Split Personality" optional, but that's just me. ;)
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2020, 19:21:53 »
5-BOD gives an "average" human (4 BOD) 1 minute (1 Aerospace turn).  Should I adjust it?

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2020, 19:22:52 »
5-BOD gives an "average" human (4 BOD) 1 minute (1 Aerospace turn).  Should I adjust it?

Yeah, I'd probably keep it the same as that, and not change the standard 0-points in the trait.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2020, 19:24:09 »
The WIL check also helps "normal" people get through it.

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 06 May 2020, 19:52:59 »
Hypersensitive and One With the Cosmos levels look to be so debilitating that I honestly can't think of a reason for anyone to take them, unless the action takes place entirely within a single system. Hypersensitive literally can't travel without massive amounts of medical assistance both before and after the jump, which your average merc group won't be able to afford, while One With the Cosmos is never leaving their home system, ever. The bonuses to Navigation/K-F Jump rolls just isn't worth it.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 06 May 2020, 20:13:25 »
The -500 level isn't supposed to be PC usable, really.  NPCs only for that one.

-400 can work, but requires heavy meds to be playable (just don't run out of them!).

Register