Author Topic: Battletech Beatdowns in Northern VA  (Read 141637 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Battletech Beatdowns in Northern VA
« Reply #90 on: 12 July 2019, 16:33:29 »
Rog, bummer.  Logistics continues to be the challenge of the adult gamer!  :-\

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #91 on: 12 July 2019, 16:35:14 »
Interesting idea!  Also, my wife just found the Compleat Strategist in East Falls Church (a little less than 3 miles from my house... walking distance!).  Have you looked into them?  She said they have very little gaming space, but not none...
Parking around that area is a real bitch.  I went to the State theater for a show a couple years ago which is a couple blocks walk and  ended up circling for a bit before something opened up.  Also they are kinda like go light, lots of stuff crowding the place.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #92 on: 12 July 2019, 16:45:31 »
Rog, bummer.  Logistics continues to be the challenge of the adult gamer!  :-\

If you need a ride, I can help out.
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #93 on: 12 July 2019, 16:52:08 »
Cool, thanks!  :thumbsup:

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #94 on: 13 July 2019, 08:16:03 »
Parents are coming in this weekend, but I may be able to escape for a few hours for gaming.  May be bringing my brother along if I do escape. 

Daryk,
I dont want to promise to offer a ride yet, but I'll know by Thursday.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #95 on: 13 July 2019, 08:18:59 »
Awesome, thanks!  I'll see about securing some more BBQ for the session...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #96 on: 13 July 2019, 14:04:38 »
If I can make it, and if there's any interest, I'd like to run a short (maybe an hour long) scenario of the Wolf Skinners bailing out of their Union over Astrokaszy after your game culminates.  StratOps uses a vertically oriented map, but I have an idea to use a horizontally oriented map to better represent the scatter of the escape pods (7), 'mechs (12), vehicles (3), et al.  Granted, it's basically an exercise in dice rolling, but I think it could be fun to see how it shakes out.

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #97 on: 14 July 2019, 22:09:17 »
Ok, looks like I'm good to go for Saturday.  I'll be bringing my brother along to give the parents freedom to do whatever while we're out. 

Daryk,
Want to say noon at your place?

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #98 on: 15 July 2019, 01:20:43 »
I don't know if I will make it or not.  Is there benefit for identification purposes if I bring something with an active probe?

Didnt think about that.  Hmmm...

Tell you what, whatever the probe's range is, that'll extend the identification range by an equal amount.  ECM will nullify this of course.

If there is an odd number of people (not including myself), I will join the team that is short handed.  If there is an even number, I will take control of a neutral mech running around being a general pain in everyone's side.

However, if you kill the mech I'm running, whichever mech(s) that were involved in the kill will get one-time use re-reoll that can be used for anything; initiative, an attack or piloting roll, etc.
« Last Edit: 15 July 2019, 01:35:40 by Jester006 »
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #99 on: 15 July 2019, 06:13:15 »
Noon is good at the moment... I'll let you know how it goes.  The place where my daughter works actually ran out of food two and a half hours before closing yesterday, so I don't know what the BBQ situation will look like come Saturday...

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #100 on: 16 July 2019, 00:47:19 »
Didnt think about that.  Hmmm...

Tell you what, whatever the probe's range is, that'll extend the identification range by an equal amount.  ECM will nullify this of course.
Probe's range is 4, which isn't that impressive.  But it doesn't require LOS to detect a target and that always has its benefits.

Also just checking in to see if I'm limited to mechs only or can I bring other items such as BA, tanks, Protos?
« Last Edit: 16 July 2019, 01:42:54 by Firesprocket »

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #101 on: 16 July 2019, 09:21:37 »
You can bring any/all of those things if you want.

However, with the probe, you still need LOS with them.  Yes the probes allow you to "detect" units, but you still need to identify which side they are on.  This is intentional on my part to try and force people to get close if they wish to find out who is on what side.

Once you identify someone, that knowledge is NOT to be public; so no sharing of information.  Process of elimination and reasonable deduction is fine.

For instance:

You and another person have identified each other as being friendlies.  Your teammate then identifies another person, whom you dont have information on, and opens fire against that person's unit.  Then it is reasonable to think the person your teammate shot at is not on your team.

You dont need to identify anyone to shoot at them, but you run the risk of shooting a teammate.
« Last Edit: 16 July 2019, 13:26:49 by Jester006 »

Jatska

• Recruit
« Reply #102 on: 20 July 2019, 23:17:40 »
This is Andrew, I left my prescription sunglasses there in lower area of table, the opposite side of where I was setup. I called the store already but if any of you grabbed them on way out, giving you guys a heads up. Also really fun games today, loved the torment.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #103 on: 21 July 2019, 05:58:25 »
Hey Andrew!  I didn't see them when we were cleaning up, but I wasn't looking either... Sorry!

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #104 on: 21 July 2019, 19:26:27 »
Thank you to everyone who was able to make it.  Hope everyone had fun.  I'll try and post the pictures I took.

In other news, the next game will be Saturday August 3rd at Huzzah Hobbies again, but with a start time of noon.  The scenario is set in 3050 smack in the middle of the Clan Invasion. 

The Falcons are at it again and have set their sights on capturing a Fed-Com world.  The local populace is evacuating and need time to finish the process.  Comstar also has one of their HPGs on the planet and have asked Fed-Com forces to assist in its defense.

The format for this game is if you wish to play on the Innersphere side, make a list of 15k or less.  That number may change if a confirmed number of IS players is greater than what I am expecting; but for now plan on bringing a 15k list.

Jatska

• Recruit
« Reply #105 on: 21 July 2019, 20:35:42 »
Got in contact with store and they found and have them for me!  :thumbsup:

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #106 on: 21 July 2019, 20:51:02 »
Will confirm that I wont be there.  Good luck in defeating the clan menace everyone!

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #107 on: 21 July 2019, 21:56:41 »
Got in contact with store and they found and have them for me!  :thumbsup:

Glad that got resolved nicely.  I know how much prescription sunglasses can cost.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #108 on: 22 July 2019, 03:35:12 »
Glad to hear it Andrew!  :thumbsup:

Nomad

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #109 on: 23 July 2019, 06:13:33 »
I have been to the Complete Strategist a couple times.  Each time I've been there it was a mess.  With all the product they have stacked up, it makes things very cramped.

By the way, there's another place on Lee Highway just up the road (toward Fairfax) called Victory Comics that looks like it can host games. Haven't had a chance to go in, but thought I'd let you guys know.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #110 on: 23 July 2019, 15:33:13 »
Thanks for the heads up!  I'll have to check it out one of these days...

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #111 on: 31 July 2019, 23:08:46 »
I believe I'm going to stay home and slum it up this weekend.  With my sister in town later this month I will likely see folks next on the 31st assuming there is a game that weekend (it is the Saturday before labor day).

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #112 on: 01 August 2019, 00:30:52 »
I believe I'm going to stay home and slum it up this weekend.  With my sister in town later this month I will likely see folks next on the 31st assuming there is a game that weekend (it is the Saturday before labor day).

No worries.  I'll be running the next game probably the 2nd or 3rd weekend in September.  I want people to start thinking about what sort of campaign they are interested in.

I would like for people to post the top 3 eras they would like to play in (top to bottom being most to least favorite) along with what faction.

For instance:

1)  Late succession wars, mercenary unit
2)  Early succession wars, house unit
3)  Jihad, Clan

First choice will be worth 3 points 2nd choice 2 and final choice 1 point.  I will tally the points for each era; most points gets the vote.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #113 on: 01 August 2019, 03:19:28 »
For me:

1) Late Succession Wars, Small Mercenary Unit (working for Davion, Steiner, Marik, or the Canopians)
2) Late Succession Wars, Small House Unit (Davion, Steiner, or Marik)
3) Late Succession Wars, Small Periphery Unit (Lothian League, either long term Mercenary or "House")

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #114 on: 02 August 2019, 00:25:57 »
1) Star League, any
2) Golden Century, any
3) Jihad, any

Jatska

• Recruit
« Reply #115 on: 04 August 2019, 15:17:28 »
1. Homeworld Clan (Snow Raven, Blood Spirit, Goliath Scorpion)
2. Dark Age w/e most recent stuff is (Mercs/YourDudes, any bird faction)
3. Age Of War/Star League (Mercs/YourDudes, FWL, Lyran)

Like I said last game, Im ok with anything but 3025 since thats 99% of all games Ive ever played. Also love my bird factions.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #116 on: 06 August 2019, 15:40:27 »
Alrighty people.  Next game will be Saturday, September 21st at Huzzah Hobbies starting at noon.

Thus far, it looks like a campaign set in the Star League era is brewing.  Be prepared to be playing the part of a mercenary company that has a mix of normal and primitive mechs.  However, that could change depending on the feedback.
« Last Edit: 07 August 2019, 10:15:57 by Jester006 »

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #117 on: 07 August 2019, 15:36:43 »
1. Late Succession Wars but the edge into Clan Invasion (3049ish) [gives that lvl1 for Daryk and lvl2 for Jatska] (Faction: Mercs (FEDCOM)/Draconis/Comstar (doing shadowy things)
2. FEDCOM Civil War (Mercs, Loyalists, pro-Victor, Cappies, hell anyone not Clan really)
3. Early Jihad, before alot of the lvl3 comes out (Mercs)

Not a huge fan of Star League era unless we're Royals and we're always fighting against the odds.  That could be interesting. 

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #118 on: 10 August 2019, 07:22:19 »
I just talked to a guy at work who used to play back in college.  He drifted away (to 40K) when the clans hit.  I might be able to drag him over to Huzzah Hobbies for the next game, or at least to play something 3025 in parallel.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #119 on: 10 August 2019, 10:58:57 »
I just talked to a guy at work who used to play back in college.  He drifted away (to 40K) when the clans hit.  I might be able to drag him over to Huzzah Hobbies for the next game, or at least to play something 3025 in parallel.

With Tiny's votes, it look like it'll be a Late Succession war era campaign starting off as a FedCom unit in Davion space stirring up trouble for the Kuritans.

Register