Author Topic: Alpha Strike and Zellbrigen  (Read 1814 times)

Vandervecken

• Master Sergeant
Alpha Strike and Zellbrigen
« on: 19 July 2019, 16:08:22 »
Clan invasion is in the air, so I'll ask a Zell question:
Zellbrigen does not appear in the Alpha Strike ruleset at all. Does anyone have ideas about how to incorporate it into Alpha Strike? Given the higher unit count typical of Alpha Strike, tracking dezgra points and individual duels and who's broken what duel (for honor level 2) can be very tricky.
I'm running a Clan-themed game in a week and would love to add some flavor.

GoldBishop

• Warrant Officer
Re: Alpha Strike and Zellbrigen
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2019, 11:25:32 »
This will probably get flagged for Fan Rules, but I've had some success playtesting off balanced PV totals.  So for what its worth...

Determine a PV Cap for your battle. (250-300 is good for 8 vs 5)
Assign InnerSphere forces up to the cap.  If allowing Skill upgrades, adjust them before reaching cap.
Assign Clan forces up to the cap for "Equipment Only" with NO adjustment for skills.
Then, assign each unit in the Clan force a skill appropriate to their rank (may give them all Skill 3 and the Star Captain Skill 2 max).
[For Both Forces: If this is scenario specific from TotalWarfare rules, sum the Pilot and Gunnery Skills, then divide by 2 rounding down to nearest whole.  This becomes their AlphaStrike Skill value (for this opinion, anyway)]

"Fewer Forces, Better Skills"
Clan forces using Zell should "bid away" enough available units (with the Skill modified PVs) until their total Force PV comes close to (and preferably under) the initial PV cap.  These units become the "Reserve Forces" and may remain on the playing map in play but may not engage until it is appropriate to do so.
[Reserve Forces: so long as they are not activated, do not include them in the Initiative process.  Alternatively, you may have them declare Standstill on their turn but before any other units have moved.  Determined which method before the start of the game.]

...This should bring the battle "closer to a fair fight" so long as the Inner Sphere forces realize the Clans are "holding back" and don't break Zellbrigen.  However, once it IS broken, in the following Initiative Phase, all "Reserve Forces" activate and join in the fray.

"Special Pilot Abilities"
If you allow SPAs, I recommend "Bloodstalker" on all the Clan units that are operating under the restrictions of Zell.  (Reserve units do not receive this SPA while they are in Reserve).  ...Once Zell breaks, the SPA goes away unless the individual unit was assigned the SPA through other means (Formation bonus, assigned/special pilot, etc).
The assignment of the SPA under Zell is "free of charge" (does not cost against total limit).  In the case of double SPA, this bonus does not stack; instead a 2nd unit may be assigned the mark for the Bloodstalker. (if only 1 hostile unit remains, the effect is simply ignored).

Its up to you if you want to include both methods or choose one or the other.  From experience, my clan players had a tougher time going Few against Many (200 PV, 5 vs 8, bid down to 3 and lost 2 units by turn 3) but they said it felt closer to Classic without having to switch formats.

Hope this helps.
"Watch the man-made-lightning fly!"  -RaiderRed

Vandervecken

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2019, 22:35:37 »
Some interesting ideas in here, but my problem is much more basic:
If I'm playing Binary vs Reinforced Company, then the amount of book-keeping involved in tracking each duel is quite high. Even worse if you use the 'dezgra point' system to figure out who broke zellbrigen. Your suggestion doesn't seem to make that adjudication any easier.

Frantic Pryde

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2019, 11:38:01 »
There are some good and simple rules for it in the Invading Clans doc found here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=63772.0

Shapiro Keats

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2019, 13:46:30 »
I honestly think that zell is best treated as a roleplaying endeavor than one explicitly supported by rules. I've never found the official rules to be especially satisfying -- in the fiction no one has a notebook in the cockpit where they keep track of dezgra points.  :))

Vandervecken

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2019, 15:55:48 »
There are some good and simple rules for it in the Invading Clans doc found here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=63772.0

Found it. Not bad, thank you!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2019, 10:26:41 »
Goldbishop, I'm not sure i agree with you regarding how to handle it.
For one, that approach doesn't really address the main issue, of how the clan forces fight, which is the main part of zel. 'what they fight with' is not a big part. Especially since as the invasion era moved forward, the clans often stopped making bidding a big thing, but they still mostly stuck to their semi-dueling fighting style.

Plus, the method you described leaves the clan player as having substantially more force than the IS player, which is unfair, not to mention having those extras hanging over their head like the sword of damocles would feel like they are going to be punished for using the very tactics that play to the inner sphere's strengths and actually might let them win. It also would reward a player that plays the clans as tactically inept trolls, by letting them drop in an easy victory by goading the is player with easy ganging up oppertunities.
In short, reinforcing most of the bad stereotypes about clan players.

Mynsuggestion for handling bidding, which btw is more of a scenario thing than a zell thing, is to draw up even pointed forces as normal, but then have the clan player bid against a 3rd party (a gm or someone that isn't their opponent) with the bids consisting of which units from that force they will actually be putting on the table, the unbid units put into reserve.

For zel itself, decide how strict you want to be, and decide what actions break zel. Reference the standard BT stuff for this if it helps. Make a list of these actions for reference.
Then get some beads or other tokens, and set aside a 'honor pool' off to the side for them.

During the game, if a IS player does one of the zell breaking actions, stick a bead in the pool. If the clan player does one, take a bead out.

Before the game, decide how many beads it will take to bring in the reserve units. I'd suggest doing it on a per unit basis, rather than an all or nothing, but if there are easy groupings like stars or whatever, feel free to use them.

The idea here is that the clan player has chosen to play ar a handicap by usin only a percentage of their equal value force. Even if the IS player completely ignores zell and racks up the honor pool fast, it remains an even fight between the players. If both sides stick to zell, the clan player has the tactical challenge of dealing with the IS side's greater survivability against attrition, but it still will be a mostly even fight between the actively engaged forces. ESpecially if the clan player uses the option to challenge multiple units.
If it helps keep track of the various 'duels' just get some colored and/or numbered chits, and put matching chits on the bases of the units on each duel. And then just forgo the vocal challenge aspect and treat opening fire on a target as the challenge. This has precedence in the novels (where vocal challenges were usually only for special battles), plus it isn't like units in AS can split fire easily.

If bidding was not really involved in the scenario (like some of the stuff that happened in the fedcom civil war era, or during tukayyid, then instead of being able to call in reserve forces allow the honor pool to buy things like dice rerolls, though in those scenarios it is likely there would be fewer actions that count as breaking zell, in the first place.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #7 on: 26 July 2019, 10:34:31 »
I honestly think that zell is best treated as a roleplaying endeavor than one explicitly supported by rules. I've never found the official rules to be especially satisfying -- in the fiction no one has a notebook in the cockpit where they keep track of dezgra points.  :))

you, dishonorable freebirth surat: violates zell

clan pilot:

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Register