Author Topic: Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise Of Skywalker - Teaser  (Read 13210 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Re: Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise Of Skywalker - Teaser
« Reply #120 on: 18 April 2019, 07:13:23 »
And regarding Starwars, have you lovely folks ever checked out Fractal sponge's work? 

That's an Allegiance class Star Destroyer on patrol with a standard Imperial class vessel.

More can be found here - http://fractalsponge.net/?p=4174  The detailing is quite jaw dropping, and some of his stuff has gone from being fanon to canon :)

Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #121 on: 18 April 2019, 07:46:11 »
Oooooohhh...

Then again, greebles are a *lot* easier to do now than at the time of the original trilogy.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #122 on: 18 April 2019, 08:13:27 »
Amazing work, but is it Allegiance canon?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #123 on: 18 April 2019, 09:57:51 »
Amazing work, but is it Allegiance canon?

Legends. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Allegiance-class_battlecruiser

most of fractal sponge's work is legends material, or his own original creations, though he's been hired to do art for official products which have resulted in a few things sneaking back into canon on the quiet.

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #124 on: 18 April 2019, 10:25:40 »
I am cautiously optimistic also. With JJ coming back to the command of this movie. Im even more cautious.
I think Rian is a better director than JJ (TFA was so bad) is so my expectations are way way low.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #125 on: 18 April 2019, 12:03:17 »
I think Rian is a better director than JJ (TFA was so bad) is so my expectations are way way low.
Thats why i was feeling less happy about JJ back in the seat for this one. I'm sorry guys if i'm negative, but i don't like how much leaning they need to do make film soHeavily nostalgia reliant, but that's my feelings about it.

At least there was more new content in Last Jedi than Force Awakens film, which almost huge part of it was ripped from New Hope and Empire Strikes back. I just miss when the movies had surprises and new story event accrue, Not "Ah, their reusing that part from the old film".

I will go see the movie, see what they come up with.
« Last Edit: 19 April 2019, 06:02:30 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #126 on: 18 April 2019, 12:18:12 »
What made palpatine so dangerous was that while a Sith, he was very ecumenical. He used sith traditions when it suited him but also ignored them when they were a hindrance (like the rule of 2, given he had two separate apprentices at once, maul and dooku, and later cultivated anakin as one despite still having dooku.)

Are you sure about Palpatine ignoring the rule of 2!? Are you talking about Legends or Disney rules?

I remember reading (probably in legends stuff but not sure...) that Dooku (which was "on retainer" like Anakin was during Dooku "reign") replaced Maul when he died (supposedly in Naboo)...

About the new trilogy I'm one of those disappointed where they took the Skywalker saga. I was 6 years old in 1977 and grew up loving the old trilogy. When I saw Phantom Manace I was somewhat disappointed also but at the same time I understood why GL chose that start (getting a new generation of kids into Star Wars - it payed IMO - my young brother is an example of that). Today I learned to like Phantom Menace (except for Jar Jar of course). Loved both ATOC (a big battle with lots of Jedis was my kids dream) and ROTS (also a kids dream seeing how Anakin turned into Darth Vader).

Problem for me is that theres not much anchoring the new trilogy with the "old" stuff. TFA had some interesting ideas about the old characters (which looking at the final product turned into excuses to call the old trilogy actors just to make cameos nothing more than that) but failed to deliver an interesting story to move on... trying to find wheres an old Jedi master known for helping to win a galactic war against an empire to help against a supposed new empire is laughable in my opinion. Fine... its Star Wars but at least GL had the trouble of trying to fit the pieces together. TLJ is a big mess of stuff crammed into a movie without worrying with the bigger arc in mind it was... stupid. Since I'm an optimistic guy I have hope that Rise of Skywalker amends most/all of this and brings the story together within the setting but... (yeah I have my own opinion of what they need to do but its just that... my opinion - maybe its damaged beyond repair).

About Rogue One and Solo... I loved Rogue One. About the only movie that came from Disney that I can honestly say I loved. Solo was interesting and I liked but maybe they gone a bit too far with some stuff.

I know... nothing is going to be like when I was 6 or 12 or whatever and no movie is perfect but several things they did are too damn stupid IMO. I expected a bit more respect to old farts like me when doing this trilogy.

Yeah maybe its my fault to complain a lot (see my posts in the Star Trek Discovery topic) with my innerself child about the new trilogy. Sorry for the rant.
« Last Edit: 18 April 2019, 12:22:15 by Kentares »
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #127 on: 18 April 2019, 13:11:05 »
Thats why i was feeling less happy about JJ back in the seat for this one. I'm sorry guys if i'm negative, but i don't like how much leaning they need to do make film. Heavily nostalgia reliant, but my feel about it.

Given what I've seen of Book of Henry, I'd prefer JJAbrams to Colin Treverrow.  It's up on Netflix here now and I don't know if I have the fortitude to check the whole thing out.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #128 on: 18 April 2019, 15:46:53 »
Are you sure about Palpatine ignoring the rule of 2!? Are you talking about Legends or Disney rules?

I remember reading (probably in legends stuff but not sure...) that Dooku (which was "on retainer" like Anakin was during Dooku "reign") replaced Maul when he died (supposedly in Naboo)...
by disney canon, Dooku was already the apprentice (sith title Darth Tyrannis) and arranging the clone army among other things before Maul was even taken as an apprentice. the two were apprentices simultaneously, although Palpatine apparently kept that fact hidden form them both, making it seem each was the only apprentice. most of this has been established in the comic and novel runs, but some of it comes from the clone wars show and the films themselves. it just isn't as clearly spelled out in those.

Legends/oldEU actually took the same tack, but added in tons of additional apprentices both before and after Maul/Dooku. mostly because the Rule of Two was something added as a result of Phantom Menace, and there had been a ton of novels and comics and such written before that film that had used the "student/apprentice of the emperor" backstory for characters to explain why they had darkside force powers.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #129 on: 18 April 2019, 15:54:11 »
Though to be fair, many of the Legends Dark Side characters like that weren't actually Sith.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #130 on: 18 April 2019, 16:39:34 »
Stuff...

Ah ok. I see... Thx for the explanation though I was speaking in my rant strictly about the movies. Didn't read anything from Disney (comics, novels, etc...) yet and I'm not sure if Ill ever read.

However Im pleased that a lot of star wars is coming (tv/cinema) so I hope some of it Ill like it...
« Last Edit: 18 April 2019, 16:41:39 by Kentares »

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #131 on: 19 April 2019, 03:53:56 »
by disney canon, Dooku was already the apprentice (sith title Darth Tyrannis) and arranging the clone army among other things before Maul was even taken as an apprentice. the two were apprentices simultaneously, although Palpatine apparently kept that fact hidden form them both, making it seem each was the only apprentice. most of this has been established in the comic and novel runs, but some of it comes from the clone wars show and the films themselves. it just isn't as clearly spelled out in those.

Legends/oldEU actually took the same tack, but added in tons of additional apprentices both before and after Maul/Dooku. mostly because the Rule of Two was something added as a result of Phantom Menace, and there had been a ton of novels and comics and such written before that film that had used the "student/apprentice of the emperor" backstory for characters to explain why they had darkside force powers.

The rule of two kept them hidden, but didn't allow them to grow their power again, it was never meant to last forever only until the Sith Empire could rise again. A life of obscurity wouldn't suit the Sith forever.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #132 on: 19 April 2019, 04:55:26 »
Letting people unrelated to the creative process ruin your experience with media seems tragic. I can see staying out of fandom circles, but abandoning the media itself that you like? I'm personally pretty down on pretty much everything Disney's done with Star Wars, but I've got nothing against anyone who likes it - I want you to enjoy what you like! I'd be much happier if Disney didn't feel the need to prevent already written stories from being sold due to their not being part of the new continuity, but that doesn't mean I've got any issue with you enjoying said continuity & wanting more from it!

I don't know...Disney (and Marvel) has created one of my absolute favorite Star Wars characters in Doctor Aphra, and what looks like it should be a cool new unit, Shadow Wing, for any fans of that fan-made Tie Fighter animated mini-movie that's on YouTube...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #133 on: 19 April 2019, 06:08:59 »
...what looks like it should be a cool new unit, Shadow Wing, for any fans of that fan-made Tie Fighter animated mini-movie that's on YouTube...
What??!?! Their Disney canon?? In the novels? Comics?

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #134 on: 19 April 2019, 08:55:48 »

I know its comics. Just read a review of it in one of the Star Wars fan sites (https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com). Not sure if theres more.
« Last Edit: 19 April 2019, 08:57:56 by Kentares »

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #135 on: 19 April 2019, 09:34:17 »

Shadow Wing has been introduced in Star Wars TIE Fighter #1, the start of a new comic mini-series released this week. It will be tied into the upcoming novel, Star Wars Alphabet Squadron that is coming out on June 4.

Shadow Wing is an elite squadron on TIE pilots of the 204th fighter wing based on the Imperial Star Destroyer Pursuer.

Alphabet Squadron will be a New Republic Squadron made up of pilots flying a mix of Republic fighters (led by an ex-Imperial pilot flying a X-Wing) charged by General Hera Syndulla to hunt down and destroy Shadow Wing...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #136 on: 19 April 2019, 10:44:06 »
the video (the original video, by the creator, not the many audio 'remaster' versions that never credit the original and greatly change the feel)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

hopefully the creative team looked at his notes and make use of some of the stuff he didn't use in the video. though i suspect the video itself won't become canon.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #137 on: 19 April 2019, 12:38:46 »
Sweet video!

Think those TIE pilots were Chiss, or was that blue skin a trick of the lighting?
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #138 on: 19 April 2019, 14:03:09 »
Sweet video!

Think those TIE pilots were Chiss, or was that blue skin a trick of the lighting?

It was a visual method to show that this is what those pilots looked like within their helmets. The pilots were human. Chiss have red eyes. None of those characters had red eyes.

Ruger

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #139 on: 19 April 2019, 14:18:47 »
And regarding Starwars, have you lovely folks ever checked out Fractal sponge's work? 

That's an Allegiance class Star Destroyer on patrol with a standard Imperial class vessel.

More can be found here - http://fractalsponge.net/?p=4174  The detailing is quite jaw dropping, and some of his stuff has gone from being fanon to canon :)

Yes, i do keep abreast of fractalsponge..
I love his drawings!

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.