Author Topic: Design Challenge/Request  (Read 1507 times)

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
Design Challenge/Request
« on: 24 July 2018, 12:31:18 »
So the players in my group I referee for have been slowly building the infrastructure and groundwork for their own factory. They want to build battlearmor, not only for sale but for inclusion into their own unit. The year is 3067.

The basic idea is for a design that excels in urban combat.

What they are looking for in particular is a suit that has -
*magnetic clamps
*good mobility
*stealth

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Design Challenge/Request
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2018, 10:34:47 »
For an urban combat suit you usually want as much armor as possible rather than stealth - being hard to hit won't save you when someone brings down the house!

I'd suggest a medium BA, 3 ground MP, 10 advanced armor, MagClamps, Gloves, MRR, Firedrake.

Thought if you want to get real cute (and expensive...): Heavy BA, 2 ground MP, Mech jump booster (move 3/3/1), 10 imp.stealth armor, gloves, Magclamps, 2xMG, LTAG.

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2018, 07:42:12 »
I think the players really like the concept of stealth, probably because of all the shenanigans I've caused for them using varied stealth armored BA. But I like more armor, so I like that medium load out you suggested there.  :thumbsup:

maxcarrion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2018, 08:09:34 »
Urban means different things to different people - some things to consider.

DWM SRM - short range bang bang but cannot jump, great for ambushers, rubbish for house clearers or roof hoppers

Big JJ or Big ground move - Big JJ allows you to move about a city hopping rooftop to rooftop, fast ground move allows quick movement inside a building

Anti infantry, anti vee, anti mech or some balance?  Anti infantry is an important job in an urban fight as your mechs will have little choice but to drop buildings to winkle out platoons.  However heavy firepower can damage mechs/vees and buildings can be used as protection

For urban missions I tend to use the Carrion Industries "Ranger" - designed as an upgraded infantry combatant (rather than a tank on legs) it can operate in wider combat environments but excels against infantry in urban assault and defence.  These should be well supported with anti vehicle/mech firepower especially SG-LRM and H-A4 which they can spot for.
Code: [Select]
Weight class - light - make it cheap, make it mobile, maximise the chance that interior stairs/floors will support its weight
Movement
- 2 ground MP to quickly move through buildings
- 3 jump MP to get from building to building clearing roads and alleys and getting from ground to high roofs quickly, this also makes them hard to hit in fast moving combat

Manipulators
- armoured gloves - ideal for operating doors, computers or standard infantry weapons without just breaking everything you touch
- the rangers tend to travel inside APC vehicles rather than clinging on outside for long distance travel - very commonly in a VTOL that they jump out of at speed

Armour
-6 points basic stealth - maximum armour, a little baffling from sensors - it'll take a lot of infantry firepower to take down one of these

Payload
- 2 LMG make up the primary armament allowing enough anti vehicle firepower to bother scouts and immobilise vehicles and plenty of anti infantry firepower
- APWM - fitted as standard with silenced SMG for stealth operations
- Squad Support TAG - serious armoured targets are painted by squad TAG and destroyed with SG-LRM and Homing A4 fire from support units
- Hand held infantry weapons where desired
- 46kg of mission equipment allows the rangers to bring a plethora of additional items - explosives, support weapons, sensors, improved comm gear anything an infantry unit may need