Author Topic: Type-1 Mobility Armor  (Read 3112 times)

The Littlie Zaku

• Private
Type-1 Mobility Armor
« on: 25 July 2023, 16:55:42 »
So this was a design I came up with just messing around, and I am kinda surprised no one has made something like this. I get that having 4/4 movement for jump jets and run speed is a bit redundant for battle armour, though it could work well as a grunt suit as rather than take 2 dedicated suits for urban warfare and open terrain you can have the one. Also it is fast, speedy, can help take objectives, and even jump into and out of water if after a limited fashion, and it can tank a IS medium pulse laser. Also it can carry a David Light Gauss at 174 BV... which is about the only other thing it can carry.

Still any feedback on this would be a big help, as while I think it would be useful, I don't really like making things in a vacuum.

Developed by Tyrant Arms, the Type-1 Mobility suit was a revolution in millitary technology. Capable of jumping 30 meters under its own power, running a total of 46kph and having enough jump jets to leap a full 120 meters. The Mobility suit was capable of a greater degree of manoeuvrability than any other type of bipedal battle armor. Excelling in all terrain (except water), the mobility suit made an excellent general purpose unit for secondline duties, as well as scouting, as well as general purpose duties which faster units often could not perform: due to a lack of hands. While it lacked any of the more  notable stealth technologies of other battle armour it could easily out manurver over rough or urban terrain.

Type-1 Mobility Armor (MG)
Type: Type-1 Mobility Armor
Manufacturer: Unknown
    Primary Factory: Unknown

Tech Base: Inner Sphere (Experimental)
Chassis Type:  Biped
Weight Class: Light
Maximum Weight: 750 kg
Battle Value: 154
Swarm/Leg Attack/Mechanized/AP: Yes/Yes/Yes/Yes
</p>

Equipment                                     Slots      Mass   
Chassis:                                               100 kg    
Motive System:                                                   
     Ground MP:          4                              60 kg    
     Jump MP:            4                              75 kg    
Manipulators:                                                    
    Left Arm:            Armored Gloves                  0 kg
    Right Arm:           Armored Gloves                  0 kg
Armor:                   Advanced               5      240 kg    
    Armor Value:         7 (Trooper)                             

Slots           
Weapons and Equipment         Location (Capacity)   Mass 
Mechanical Jump Booster         None       0       50 kg 
Jump Booster                    Body       2       125 kg
Machine Gun                   Right Arm     1       100 kg

« Last Edit: 26 July 2023, 04:13:04 by The Littlie Zaku »

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: Type-1 Mobility Armor
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2023, 17:09:03 »
The Mobility suit was capable of moving anywhere quicker than any other type of battle armor. 
Off the top of my head, the Sylph & Rottweiler might dispute that.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2023, 17:23:59 »
Yep.  Quads can be made faster on the ground, and VTOL suits are faster in the air.

The Littlie Zaku

• Private
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2023, 00:09:35 »
Sorry I meant as a bipedal battle armour. I was more trying to stress how, as far as I know, it’s the only BA to go at 4/4.

Amendments have been made.
« Last Edit: 26 July 2023, 04:14:21 by The Littlie Zaku »

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2023, 03:52:40 »
Type 1 Mobility. T1M.

Also called the "Tim" or "Monthy Python" battle armor. Battle armor by enemy suppliers wanting to smear the product. A producer of Earthwerks even brought some coconuts to the table when he was making the comparison of the T1M with their own products.
« Last Edit: 27 July 2023, 02:23:08 by Elmoth »

The Littlie Zaku

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 26 July 2023, 04:10:57 »
I love that XD

Such a great addition.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2023, 18:45:05 »
Since you're using Armored Gloves, I might recommend putting that machine gun (or even a Light version) over the shoulder (in the torso).  Armored Gloves allow you to use ANY infantry weapon with crew 1E or less without penalty.  Some of those are pretty sweet! ;)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2023, 12:08:44 »
Light MG in the LT would also save weight for a LA Battle Claw while keeping a RA Glove.    Finesse w/ the Hand & Omni Capable Claw for Mobility at the same time.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

The Littlie Zaku

• Private
« Reply #8 on: 27 July 2023, 13:54:05 »
I am a bit confused. I thought for a mech to perform Swarm or Leg attacks it needed a primary weapon in the arms?

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 27 July 2023, 15:28:10 »
Not sure about that.

I was talking about riding on Omni's which last I checked required 1 Claw or 2 Manipulators.

Glove(s) meanwhile allows for dexterous actions by fluff & by rules allows carrying an infantry weapon.

If it does require a primary weapon, then don't move it but you still get the benefit of longer range & a few KG saved w/ the LMG that was suggested, which pays for a Claw & an APM Mount.

The Littlie Zaku

• Private
« Reply #10 on: 27 July 2023, 16:29:48 »
Having 2 armoured gloves already makes it mechanised though? Page 167 in the tech manual, the table states that to be mechanised you need either '2 Armored Gloves; 2 Basic Manipulators; or 1 Battle Claw (Heavy or Standard)' This can only be done for light battle armour though which the T1M is.

I can see a Storm model being used with a LMG and Heavy battle claw, to allow for a nice solid 13 Marine Point score for only 154 BV, which means it can very easily provide points per BV than a elemental. Could call it the Storm Type-1.05 Mobility Armour or S105M Armour?
« Last Edit: 27 July 2023, 16:35:28 by The Littlie Zaku »

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 27 July 2023, 17:43:03 »
For some reason I was thinking Gloves didn't mechanize them.

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 27 July 2023, 18:21:20 »
Gloves do indeed mechanize BA.

Still, I'm struggling to see a niche for it.  Quads run faster, VTOL BA flies faster, a regular Jumper can move just as fast in tactical situations while carrying more equipment (ex: Armor or TAG, improved sensors or even a probe to do recon). 

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 27 July 2023, 20:46:53 »
It would be a much stronger Emergency Egress 'Exoskeleton'. (from Here, the "Crew protection via PA(L)/Exoskeleton" thread in "Fan Designs and Rules" -> "Battlearmor")

Instead of moving at 1/1, this suit moves at 4/4 meaning crews and Mechwarriors can get back to friendly lines much faster.  It is only twice the mass, has four times the movement rate, three times the armor, and the Machine Gun could be replaced with something energy-based if desired.

This would be the upgraded version of my initial design.

What is the price on a per-suit basis?
« Last Edit: 24 August 2023, 22:31:29 by idea weenie »

The Littlie Zaku

• Private
« Reply #14 on: 28 July 2023, 00:41:13 »
The price of a individual suit is 610,000; 610,080 if you include a auto rifle. Its a fairly pricy light suit

I can accept that this suit lacks a niche, though it is meant to fulfil the same sort of role as the Kishi, which itself lacks a specific niche: though to contrast the Kishi emphasises protection, while the T1M tries to maximise mobility. It also provides options for a unit staying low rather than risking revealing itself by jumping high.

In short its meant to fulfil a niche of 'trooper' which is so thoroughly generic I know its basic answer. But if you look at it, it can fulfil anti infantry rolls, it can get anywhere any other humanoid trooper can just as fast, its inexpensive to field BV wise, it can perform jobs only a standard trooper can with its armoured gloves (like pick things up), unlike a quad. The point of the armour is more flexibility with provided options through movement, rather than raw firepower. Its also a impressive tech demo to have a suit that can run fast as it can jump, also jump without its jumpjets. In terms of grand battlefield strategy the T1M may not outshine its competition but it does everything above average.

This is not to present a classic answer of a jack of all trades is a master of none, but rather it can do every task reasonably well in one suit. Its got the best protection for a light, it can move above average on the ground and in the air, for a light BA, it can negate infantry at range and can still swarm, leg attack, is mechanised and has anti personal weapons (heavy anti personal at that): and can get itself into trouble just as fast as it can get itself out. It also is logistically uncomplicated. In fact to lean into its basic trooper status I sort of like the idea it looks like the trooper from Section 8, with the jettison capable weapon (MG) to show how it 'holds' its MG in its hand after a fashion. Still that is largely thematic.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 28 July 2023, 04:46:31 »
4/4 movement would be very nice for a scout, but that would probably require a major redesign (5 basic stealth armor, advanced sensors, no fixed weapon?).

Another niche use would be an "interdictor"; swap the gun for an ECM, use the speed to get to range 0 of some important unit and jam it.

Remember, it can still do leg attacks or attack with an infantry weapon.

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 28 July 2023, 20:19:00 »
Instead of moving at 1/1, this suit moves at 4/4 meaning crews and Mechwarriors can get back to friendly lines much faster.  It is only twice the mass, has four times the movement rate, three times the movement rate, and the Machine Gun could be replaced with something energy-based if desired.
It's a light BA suit, can that even fit in a 'Mech cockpit?  a PAL or exoskeleton would be more reasonable for that role but I don't think even those have the ability in canon outside of a weird WoB cockpit.

Not that I cared when I made a Mechwarrior PAL suit but Anyways, a crew/Mechwarrior suit would probably be better suited as a PAL (and stealth armor if possible).  Light armor's probably too big/heavy to fit in most places, and besides, you probably don't want to accidentally shoot your dashboard with your arm-mounted MG either.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 28 July 2023, 22:37:07 »
It's a light BA suit, can that even fit in a 'Mech cockpit?  a PAL or exoskeleton would be more reasonable for that role but I don't think even those have the ability in canon outside of a weird WoB cockpit.

Not that I cared when I made a Mechwarrior PAL suit but Anyways, a crew/Mechwarrior suit would probably be better suited as a PAL (and stealth armor if possible).  Light armor's probably too big/heavy to fit in most places, and besides, you probably don't want to accidentally shoot your dashboard with your arm-mounted MG either.

You'd have to install a (much) larger cockpit to fit this in, and the MG would either be shoulder-mounted or aligned so it doesn't get in the way.  The armored gauntlets mean the pilot can still use the controls in the cockpit.  Off-hand you'd add 2 tons to the cockpit weight to reflect the weight of both the Battleamror and hardened equipment, while the larger cockpit would take up the free slot in the Head.

Good idea about the stealth armor though, I forgot to put that in my design.  Added

The price of a individual suit is 610,000; 610,080 if you include a auto rifle. Its a fairly pricy light suit

610,000 is less than twice the cost of my suit, for four times the speed and three times the armor.  The one thing it is lacking is the Space Adaptation Gear to reflect a variety of environmental protection features for the pilot.  Dropping the Machine Gun would free up the mass for that, and dropping one point of armor would allow for 48 kg of mission equipment.

So elite units might want this to keep their pilots safe, veteran units might want mine, and other units would be buying hovercraft to rescue their pilots.

thesilverback

• Corporal
« Reply #18 on: 22 August 2023, 18:38:41 »
If using as a mobility suit, why even put a machine gun on it, instead of carrying a large caliber pistol as a sidearm because if you trying to run/evac from a mech or vehicle, combat will not be on your mind.   So forget the machine gun and can you add a little more armor or something to attach to a evac vehicle to get out of heck as quick as possible.
6th Federated Suns Armored Cavalry (Hillbillies with Guns)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #19 on: 03 October 2023, 12:55:54 »
Can you add a partial wing?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 05 October 2023, 14:02:33 »
Light BA at 750KG isn't likely to fit in the cockpit well & still allow piloting.

The BH was fluffed to where PA at 200 KG but I'm not sure even that is rules legal.

If I was really looking for a way to get my dismounted MW/Crew home faster, I'd probably figure out a way to give them Jump Pack training & a store a Jump Pack in the Cockpit.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #21 on: 05 October 2023, 17:36:28 »
Or an Emergency Jet Pack, if you're Terran... ;)

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 06 October 2023, 20:27:42 »
Light BA at 750KG isn't likely to fit in the cockpit well & still allow piloting.

The BH was fluffed to where PA at 200 KG but I'm not sure even that is rules legal.

True, you'd need to add extra tronnage to the cockpit to reflect the mass being used.

If I was really looking for a way to get my dismounted MW/Crew home faster, I'd probably figure out a way to give them Jump Pack training & a store a Jump Pack in the Cockpit.

This also makes useful sense, I just want to avoid the other side yelling "Pull" whenever one of my Mechwarriors has to eject.