Author Topic: Capital-grade Plasma Weapon development  (Read 5595 times)

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
Re: Capital-grade Plasma Weapon development
« Reply #30 on: 26 October 2018, 10:52:38 »
Maybe make it a sort of machinegun?
Array a lot of Plasma Rifles together, with a longer acceleration tube, and fire them in bursts, then give them a laser blast after they leave the barrel.
I think it'd cause an interesting visual or a sort of burning whip in space. ^^
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #31 on: 27 October 2018, 06:39:56 »
I could see a plasma weapon being better at Armor because of the heat. I'm sure it's less heat then a laser.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #32 on: 27 October 2018, 07:07:52 »
I could see a plasma weapon being better at Armor because of the heat. I'm sure it's less heat then a laser.
A laser would apply its energy with a far higher focus, which is better for armor.
While plasma would envelop an ASF, overwhelming any heatsinks, but only singeing the armor.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 27 October 2018, 07:32:21 »
So the aim is actually more of a plasma cannon, and not a rifle?

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 27 October 2018, 12:40:17 »
Maybe make it a sort of machinegun?
Array a lot of Plasma Rifles together, with a longer acceleration tube, and fire them in bursts, then give them a laser blast after they leave the barrel.
I think it'd cause an interesting visual or a sort of burning whip in space. ^^

I hesitate on this mainly because it doesn't reflect an actual capital-grade weapon any more than strapping 10 AC/10s together to make a NAC 10.  What you're talking about is more of a Plasma Rifle Array.

So the aim is actually more of a plasma cannon, and not a rifle?

One of the things I hate most about the plasma weaponry is the dichotomy in the nomenclature.  The Cannon is a lighter weapon and does little to heavy equipment, but the Rifle roasts both.  Cannon would actually fit better for a naval-class weapon than a heavy flamethrower.

It's almost too bad that the universe cannot create and eject an electromagnetic bubble to contain the plasma in its journey.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 27 October 2018, 14:08:33 »
Well, it's more a subcap plasma rifle, with integral bracketing.
I think that an actual capital plasma rifle would be pretty much a light N-PPC with extra heat caused, at the cost of using ammo.
I guess that's just feeling a bit uninspired.

Atarlost

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #36 on: 28 October 2018, 22:57:28 »
Which is perhaps a long winded way of saying ‘worrying about the physics of a plasma cannon is a great way to stop having a plasma cannon and ending up building a laser, particle weapon, or kinetic kill weapon’ - so lets think about what makes a plasma weapon cool.. beside just saying ‘Fireee Plasssma Torpedooeesss’ - which is admittedly cool!

What makes Battletech plasma weapons cool is that they are hot.  Since large craft don't track heat the way mechs and ASF do, capital scale plasma weapons aren't cool.  The fact that they're more physically absurd the longer you want their range to be reinforces that lack of coolness. 

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 30 October 2018, 10:05:14 »
What makes Battletech plasma weapons cool is that they are hot.  Since large craft don't track heat the way mechs and ASF do, capital scale plasma weapons aren't cool.  The fact that they're more physically absurd the longer you want their range to be reinforces that lack of coolness.
That's what makes plasma weapons cool to you.  Not everyone is under the same standard.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 31 October 2018, 19:53:47 »

True.  You'd have to start making a second total for heat received in a turn, and require that to be handled by heat sinks the next turn.

The other option could be letting Plasma weaponry try for critical hits on enemy units.  No damage, just chances for critting.  Even then it might be a temporary effect due to the plastic plasma eventually cooling on the surface of a fire control radar, and not affecting it as much.

Of course if you manage to hit and then get a critical it on a fighter's life support with a capital plasma weapon, you have crispy fighter pilot.

Register