Author Topic: Viggen V-1 Attack Fighter (Conventional)  (Read 1256 times)

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
Viggen V-1 Attack Fighter (Conventional)
« on: 09 October 2018, 15:52:40 »
A 3075 era conventional attack fighter for thoughts, opinions, and constructive input.

==========
Viggen V-1 Attack Fighter

Code: [Select]
Viggen V-1 Attack Fighter (Conventional)
-------------------
Base Tech Level: Standard (IS)
Level: 2  Era: Succession Wars
-------------------
Experimental    - 
Advanced        - 
Standard      3075+
Tech Rating: E/X-X-E-D

Weight: 50 tons
BV: 755
Cost: 2,219,500 C-bills
Source: TRO - Black Knights

Movement: 6/9
Engine: 300
Fuel Points: 320/880 (5.5 tons)

Structural Integrity: 6
Armor: 50
            Armor 
-------------------
Nose           16 
Left Wing      12 
Right Wing     12 
Aft            10 

Weapons              Loc  Heat 
--------------------------------
Plasma Rifle         NOS   10 
Rocket Launcher 20   NOS    5   
Rocket Launcher 20   RWG    5   
Rocket Launcher 20   RWG    5   
Rocket Launcher 20   LWG    5   
Rocket Launcher 20   LWG    5 
Anti-Missile System  AFT    1   

Ammo                           Loc  Shots 
-------------------------------------------
Plasma Rifle Ammo              NOS     10 
Plasma Rifle Ammo              NOS     10 
Anti-Missile System Ammo [IS]  AFT     12

DOC_Agren

• Major
Re: Viggen V-1 Attack Fighter (Conventional)
« Reply #1 on: 09 October 2018, 17:55:34 »
Just a thought here, what about instead of the RL20s
a MRM7 and 2 tons of ammo (selected for mission)
and a RL10 in both wings

can in the long run give it more of a pop, but I understand with the RL20 the idea is the target fire them on 1 target for massive killshot
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #2 on: 09 October 2018, 18:02:23 »
The idea behind the RLs is that since conventional fighters have an almost disposable operational profile, this would allow this one to hit hard, jack up a target's heat, and get out of Dodge quickly to reload for the next round

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 09 October 2018, 22:47:25 »
Well if that the plan, what about drop a ton of Plasma Rifle Ammo for 2 more RL10
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

maxcarrion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 24 October 2018, 06:16:00 »
What is the virtue of the weapon loadout?  What is the mission profile of this aircraft?

I assume that as a "Strike Fighter" you want an all round craft that can fight air to air but also deliver a respectable air to ground punch - understanding the limitation of mounting armour on a conventional aircraft.

The plasma rifle as a primary weapon is not particularly effective against ASF or DS (about on a par with a PPC), but is a better weapon against many ground targets or conventional aircraft.  I would on the other hand suggest an LPL as a weapon that really benefits both from the changes to aero ranges making it a much superior dog fighting weapon against ASF, DS and conventional aircraft and still providing a decent air to ground punch.

Now the disposable reputation of conventional aircraft is primarily based upon its lack of armour and how easy it is to hit an aircraft with close range ground fire or air to air combat, the primary defense against this is not to commonly deploy a conventional fighter in combat where it will be facing accurate return fire - it can however take flak, like an LB-X almost as well as an ASF for a short period. 

As such you primarily want armaments or missions that will keep it out of harms way - so, under wing weapons allow bombs and missiles that do not require a low altitude pass over hostiles.  For ground attack 10 tons of under wing ordinance from off map or high altitude is the only ordinance you want to deploy against anything likely to return fire (such as battlemechs or tanks)

Against air to air targets I would want long range to minimise return fire - maybe something to force control rolls - a pair of LRM5 with a ton of ammo will serve me much better than a few RL20 and if I sufficiently outnumber the ASF I can fly defensively, avoid close range shots and plink away hoping to force them out of control

That still leaves me with 2.5T - so how about 4 LMG and half a ton of ammo - infantry are mostly unable to return fire against aircraft and a good strike into an isolated infantry platoon could easily cause significant casualties while staying out of the main fighting.  Extra short range firepower might occasionally hurt an air opponent too

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #5 on: 24 October 2018, 19:05:50 »
I agree with maxcarrion and DOC...

But I'd go with 3 MML-3's, one NOS and one each Wing, along with double AMS ammo. Giving me 13 ( all / 14 with nose ) shots of LRM fire each MML and 11 shots with SRM ( all ) for only two tons of ammo.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Register