Author Topic: AC Carrier - 3060 Style.  (Read 4495 times)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
AC Carrier - 3060 Style.
« on: 10 February 2012, 20:03:20 »
I just can't help myself.
I love the basic "tracked lorries" concept of the LRM/SRM/AC/Laser carriers (30 tons of guns baby!) and have a variant for just about everything you can think of.

That said, I don't think I've ever done this one before and felt the need to share.

Its not gonna last long once the shooting starts but woe be the mech that doesn't see it hidden in the parking garage as it walks by.

BattleTech Vehicle Technical Readout
                      VALIDATED

Type/Model:    AC Carrier   (Ultra-20)
Tech:          Inner Sphere / 3062
Config:        Tracked Vehicle
Rules:         Level 2, Modified design

Mass:          60 tons
Power Plant:   180 InterComBust I.C.E.
Cruise Speed:  32.4 km/h
Maximum Speed: 54.0 km/h
Armor Type:    Simple Armor Plate Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:     
  2 Ultra AC/20s
Manufacturer:  (Unknown)
Communications System:  Communicator
Targeting & Tracking System:  FireScan with IndirecTrack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Type/Model:    AC Carrier   (Ultra-20)
Mass:          60 tons

Equipment:                                 Items    Mass
Int. Struct.:  24 pts Standard               0      6.00
Engine:        180 I.C.E.                    0     14.00
    Cruise MP:   3
     Flank MP:   5
Heat Sinks:      0 Single                    0       .00
Cockpit & Controls:                          0      3.00
Crew: 4 Members                              0       .00
Armor Factor:   53 pts Ferro-Fibrous         2      3.00

Internal    Armor
                          Structure   Value
   Front:                     6         15
   Left / Right Sides:        6      13/13
   Rear:                      6         12

Weapons and Equipment    Loc  Heat  Ammo   Items    Mass
--------------------------------------------------------
2 Ultra AC/20s           Front    0   20     3     34.00
--------------------------------------------------------
TOTALS:                           0          5     60.00
Items & Tons Left:                          12       .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost:        2,192,000 C-Bills
Battle Value 2:    914 (old BV = 764)
Cost per BV:       2,398.25
Weapon Value:      230 / 230 (Ratio = .25 / .25)
Damage Factors:    SRDmg = 46;  MRDmg = 10;  LRDmg = 0
BattleForce2:      MP: 3T,  Armor/Structure: 0 / 3
                   Damage PB/M/L: 5/5/-,  Overheat: 0
                   Class: GH;  Point Value: 9
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

elizibar

• Master Sergeant
Re: AC Carrier - 3060 Style.
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2012, 09:11:55 »
I see that Quickscell got ahold of some really big guns...

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2012, 10:44:35 »
Good luck getting close enough to use those expensive guns, but should you get it in a good position, more power to you!

assuming you have a good crew
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2012, 23:08:47 »
I see that Quickscell got ahold of some really big guns...
These are the Ultra-AC-20, the most powerful Auto-Cannon in the world, so tell me punk, do you feel lucky, well, do ya ?

Good luck getting close enough to use those expensive guns, but should you get it in a good position, more power to you!
Well I would assume you use it like an SRM Carrier, in a City, not in the open where something w/ an ERPPC can tear it open from range.

assuming you have a good crew
I just had a Pulp Fiction flashback when Jules & Vincent get opened up on by the kid w/ the 44 Magnum and all the shots miss.
"It was an according to Hoyle miracle"

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Sami Jumppanen

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2012, 11:43:29 »
I was expecting this to be about RAC version of 60t Carrier.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 16 February 2012, 14:15:51 »
I was expecting this to be about RAC version of 60t Carrier.
I do actually have one of those in my files, but I don't like it.
80 rounds for 3x RAC5's is just not even remotely enough.
Overall, I think the RAC-5 is to similar to the SRM/LRM models in range & damage grouping v/s the UA20 where its all about massive gigantic holes blowing out the back of mechs.

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
  • 3d artist, spread sheet warrior, KTF
« Reply #6 on: 17 February 2012, 03:11:25 »
Hm only 15 frontal armor and dual AC20s?
The original AC carrier had AC-2s and paper thin armor (but AC2 - have long range). Your carrier is operating in ranges of SRMs, M-Laser AND this unit is a primary target and you don't have a turret mount.
My suggestion remove 2 tons ammunition for more armor (yes only 10 shots) but still not sure if you are able to use them. For citys: you have Hetzer, Demolisher, DemolisherII, Fortune...
80shots with RAC..heck they are more then enough. Why? Because 3 RAC are a danger on the battlefield - if i'm able to take them out easy, i use this chance.
I think if you are able to use them in 2 rounds with 3 guns using 6 shots = 36 than you are a lucky one.

Sami Jumppanen

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 17 February 2012, 06:08:11 »
Hm only 15 frontal armor and dual AC20s?
The original AC carrier had AC-2s and paper thin armor (but AC2 - have long range). Your carrier is operating in ranges of SRMs, M-Laser AND this unit is a primary target and you don't have a turret mount.
My suggestion remove 2 tons ammunition for more armor (yes only 10 shots) but still not sure if you are able to use them. For citys: you have Hetzer, Demolisher, DemolisherII, Fortune...
80shots with RAC..heck they are more then enough. Why? Because 3 RAC are a danger on the battlefield - if i'm able to take them out easy, i use this chance.
I think if you are able to use them in 2 rounds with 3 guns using 6 shots = 36 than you are a lucky one.

I was going to say about same. SRM carrier is pretty much considered to be a 60 ton claymore mine, that may have a chance to fire a second round before being destroyed. LRM carrier lasts longer because it may fire indirectly and enemy may have other targets. AC-2 carriers often aren't considered to be targets at all due low damage potential. But RAC or AC-20 carriers? They are no different from SRM carrier.

serack

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2012, 07:44:04 »
my srm carriers tend to survive mutlible rounds on battlefield , in range of opfors :)
and thats after they arespotted lol

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 17 February 2012, 07:52:33 »
my srm carriers tend to survive mutlible rounds on battlefield , in range of opfors :)

Then you make something right or the other make something wrong.
Everything that deals such an amount of damage must become a primary target - and the SRM Carrier makes it easy to take them out.

serack

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 17 February 2012, 13:38:29 »
i used standard book srm carrier, no mods. And i do not know i expect to loose them every time i play them but they seem to survive. 

ScrewySqrl

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 17 February 2012, 14:55:54 »
one of the great crowning moments in online play involved sneaky SRM carriers.

way back in 1994, there was BattleTech 3056 MUSE, which held a 5-day battle of Tukkayid scenario,  As the hours wound down on the very last day of the battle, Comstar was almost entirely out of Mechs.  The clan side was equally low, With Comstar still holding 5 of the 9 bases, with 10 minutes left, a lone Masakari-C started pounding one of the bases at range 2.  If he destroyed the base before time ran out, the Clans won.  In the base were 2 SRM carriers and an Ontos.

on a 3 count,all 3 popped out. (basically a surprise reveal of 2 SRM carriers in the same hex, range 2.)  forst salvo sanded all the armor off the mech and did a gyro.  ontos, popping out a moment later, plus the second srm salvo, completely destroyed the mech.  It was actually the very last assault mech the clan side had, and nothing they had left could reach the base in time to shoot it up, making those 3 tanks the great heroes of that battle.

NEVER underestimate what a suprised, hidden unit can do.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 19 February 2012, 04:38:36 »
Aye, Pretty much ALL the "Carriers" are designed w/ Cover at the least in mind and often Hidden Units as well.

Last time I had an SRM carrier on the field (2 of them actually) both were hidden.
A Grendel came bounding up over our mine fields & I opened up w/ a point blank shot as the "flew" over head.   54 SRM tubes is a major pain for a mech that size.
He crashed to the ground w/ multiple crits & IIRC a missing leg.  Being right in front of an SRM Carrier is a sure way to die the next turn   >:D

Sami Jumppanen

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 19 February 2012, 09:57:44 »
Aye, Pretty much ALL the "Carriers" are designed w/ Cover at the least in mind and often Hidden Units as well.

Last time I had an SRM carrier on the field (2 of them actually) both were hidden.
A Grendel came bounding up over our mine fields & I opened up w/ a point blank shot as the "flew" over head.   54 SRM tubes is a major pain for a mech that size.
He crashed to the ground w/ multiple crits & IIRC a missing leg.  Being right in front of an SRM Carrier is a sure way to die the next turn   >:D

Although Clans may not use Forced Withdrawal that just might be enough to convince him to give up and shut down the mech.

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 20 February 2012, 01:38:37 »
So you are speculating, that your AC Carrier can hide, till he open fire?
I'm actually not sure if both shots of a Ulta AC will hit when using point blank fire.
But  Active Probes can uncover Hidden Units (although few players use them)

The idea of a o-s hidden carrier is quiet simple but i think really effective cause you are able to cause a PSR during the movement. So i take the challenge based on your AC carrier and created those: i wanted to create a cheaper design but with nearly same usage.
Wheeled because primary for fighting in city - when unit is visible you don't want to use it on open terrain.

50t with Fusion:

Code: [Select]
50 tons
BV: 661
Cost: 1.810.417 C-bills 
Movement: 3/5 (Wheeled)
Engine: 130 
Internal: 20
Armor: 62 (Ferro-Fibrous)

Internal   Armor
Front        5          26
Side         5          12
Rear        5           12
Weapons |  Loc
Autocannon/20 | FR
Autocannon/20 | FR

Ammo |  Loc |   Shots
AC/20 Ammo | BD | 10

Equipment   Loc
Guardian ECM Suite BD
CASE RR
Another "advantage"
you can create the same unit using intro tech (without GuardianECM, CASE) The armor protection is reduced (only standard armor) but you may able to install a I.C.E
reduce costs for another 400.000 C-Bills

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 20 February 2012, 01:47:16 »
So you are speculating, that your AC Carrier can hide, till he open fire?
I'm actually not sure if both shots of a Ulta AC will hit when using point blank fire.
But  Active Probes can uncover Hidden Units (although few players use them)

Depends if you are playing w/ those rules.
I was saying that most of them work best using those rules, but even if you don't actually have "hidden" units there are plenty of ways to give cover to a tank.

Staying behind buildings (in a city) or behind hills (outside a city) are both useful for all vehicles since it only needs 1 level to create a dead zone where they can't be hit.

I played a game yesterday where there were some L2/L3 buildings, only 3 hexes long, but they were plenty enough to stop large amounts of firepower from criss-crossing the board.
Toss in a couple hills over the 2x2 map area and lots of units had cover till closing into medium/short range.

Register