Author Topic: A Few Quick Quirks  (Read 1583 times)

wellspring

• Lieutenant
A Few Quick Quirks
« on: 18 March 2013, 22:52:15 »
Improved Automation (+1): The unit has advanced computer controls that reduce the need for human intervention. Reduce the unit's crew requirement by one (to a minimum of one crewman). This quirk is incompatible with Extra Crew. (Vehicles and small craft only)

Extra Crew (-1): Functions that are normally automated are more manpower-intensive on this unit. Increase the unit's crew requirement by one. This is at no cost in tonnage or items for vehicles, but small craft must provide accommodations for the crewman as usual. (Vehicles and small craft only)

Update: I parked a few more Quirk ideas below.
« Last Edit: 22 July 2014, 08:35:18 by wellspring »

CloaknDagger

• Major
Re: Two Quick Quirks
« Reply #1 on: 19 March 2013, 00:21:55 »
Simple and Clean. I can't complain about them.

wellspring

• Lieutenant
Re: Two Quick Quirks
« Reply #2 on: 22 July 2014, 08:34:22 »
Road Vehicle: Wheeled vehicles with this quirk receive an additional +1MP when moving along roads. Thus, a normal wheeled vehicle with a move rate of 4/6 would move at 5/8 on a road, but 6/9 if it has this quirk. This does not affect vehicles with any other motive type, wheeled vehicles with 0 MP, or vehicles that are towing trailers.

LAM Hardpoints: Found on the Phase Hawk prototype, this enables a LAM to carry a limited amount of external storage. A LAM with this capability may carry up to a maximum one item for each working hand actuator it has, using the usual rules and maximum tonnages for carrying unprotected cargo in BattleMech and AirMech mode. In Aerospace mode, these are treated as external stores hardpoints. A LAM may carry any type of item that can be mounted as an external store, but they may only be used in Aerospace mode. The sole exception is a single hand-held weapon, which can be used in any mode.

This buffs LAMs modestly without breaking previous designs. In particular, LAMs are always aching for fuel, so an extra fuel tank is a welcome addition. If you're going to use a LAM at all, carrying a handheld weapon is true to the fiction on giant stompy transformy robots.

wellspring

• Lieutenant
Re: A Few Quick Quirks
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2014, 15:27:02 »
Limited LAM Hardpoint: Another take on the same idea, but more moderate. Allows a LAM in ASF mode to mount an external stores hardpoint exactly as for an aerospace fighter. The external store may only be added if the LAM is in ASF mode, and must be jettisoned before the LAM is permitted to transform into another mode. This quirk may be taken up to two times; if you take it once the hardpoint is a centerline mount under the fuselage, and if you take it twice there is a mount under each wing.

I prefer the handheld-weapons version, but this version is open to people worried about over-buffing LAMs. Do not use both in the same campaign, or if you do, make sure they're mutually exclusive.

I see two scenarios where this could come into play. The fuel lets you do a burn from orbit and get to ground with full internal tanks (maybe tangling with interceptors on the way). Alternatively, you can burn to ground, then drop some bombs to clear your LZ before landing. Or both.

I suppose a cargo pod is another possibility, for mission payload in special ops.