Author Topic: Solaris Skunk Werks issues  (Read 2192 times)

KaiserDunk

• Master Sergeant
Solaris Skunk Werks issues
« on: 24 June 2019, 06:58:49 »
I don't know if this is the place to ask this, but I'm having issues running SSW on my new Win10 laptop using the latest version of Java Platform SE.   I double-click on the icon, there is a brief flash of a hint of a screen, and then nothing; it's like the program never started so I don't have a screen image to post.   I'm wondering if anyone else here has had this issue with Win10; I can still run the program on my old Win7 desktop, so I don't think that it has anything to do with the SSW program itself or the Java platform.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Solaris Skunk Werks issues
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2019, 07:01:21 »
What version of Java is giving you the trouble?  There was a similar question to this not too far back...

KaiserDunk

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2019, 07:05:44 »
I believe its 12.0.1.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2019, 07:39:03 »
That... doesn't sound right.  Here's the link to the previous thread: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=65472.0

KaiserDunk

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2019, 11:00:01 »
I double-checked, and it is indeed the 1.8.0_211-b12 build.   Thanks for the info.   What source do you recommend for the _201 build that is safe and reliable?   All the official Oracle site has is the _211 build.
« Last Edit: 24 June 2019, 11:05:31 by KaiserDunk »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2019, 14:07:50 »
Hmmm... they USED to have a whole library of older versions.  I'm really not sure where to go from here...  :-\

KaiserDunk

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2019, 17:25:16 »
Not only does Oracle no longer have a library of previous versions, they directly say on their website that if you have an app or applet that requires a previous version of Java to work that you need to contact the software developer and request that they update their software to the latest Java version.

I do a web search for older versions of Java and almost all I get are some very sketchy looking websites.

Without the older version of Java, it looks like SSW may have come to the end of its roll.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2019, 17:26:38 »
That's not good... glad I've been resisting the upgrade!

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
  • Justice will be delicious!!!
« Reply #8 on: 13 August 2019, 12:14:04 »
So...
a) the good news is SSW has always been very stable on OpenJDK and OpenJRE, no need to bow to Oracle's bs.
b) SSW's got a fresh dev team. https://github.com/Solaris-Skunk-Werks
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
Weirdo: Sounds like the proper reaction to a Macross Cannon to me.
Quote from: Weirdo
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.