Author Topic: The Art of War: Home of the Capellan Confederation!  (Read 145889 times)

Grizzly

• Master Sergeant
  • Average Liao Enjoyer
Re: The Art of War: Home of the Capellan Confederation!
« Reply #900 on: 11 October 2023, 09:14:23 »
Switching gears a bit how do we feel about a Capellan ‘heavy’ scout lance of
2 Agrotera, 1 ShadowHawk 8L, and 1 Yinghuochong.

I’m not happy with its limited EWAR set up, aside from the Shadow Hawk. Lots of TAG tho. There aren’t a lot of overtly fast or improved jumpers with EWAR stuff to pair nicely.

I like it but I'm guessing that's almost 6500BV without Arrow IV assets assigned so I'm wondering if one mech should be a light to free up BV.

"I checked the [MUL] log, and it says that you--specifically--broke it." -Greekfire

Check out my tribute to the CCAF at www.instagram.com/average_liao_enjoyer/

MWO handle: Grizlie
Mercenaries Kickstarter backer #268

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #901 on: 12 October 2023, 11:40:43 »
Switching gears a bit how do we feel about a Capellan ‘heavy’ scout lance of

I’m not happy with its limited EWAR set up, aside from the Shadow Hawk. Lots of TAG tho. There aren’t a lot of overtly fast or improved jumpers with EWAR stuff to pair nicely.

Doesn't help with EWAR, but that Shad slows down your lance as well.  The new Phoenix Hawk-9, new Spider 9M, or even new Javelin (more tag I know) would keep your lance together better.  Can't think of anything that fast with ECM off the top of my head.

GuyIncognito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #902 on: 12 October 2023, 11:46:28 »
Could always Eyleuka or Yao Lien for comparable speeds (both can go 5/8/7, iirc?) and a Guardian ECM.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #903 on: 12 October 2023, 12:05:50 »
Could always Eyleuka or Yao Lien for comparable speeds (both can go 5/8/7, iirc?) and a Guardian ECM.

That, or if you wanted to drop BV you could go with the new Ostscout that packs a GECM and a Clan Large Laser.  You'd lose a lot of beef though!

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #904 on: 13 October 2023, 01:04:55 »
This is mainly for a parade/in universe grouping. I don’t mind BV/PV considerations. I’ll change things around for gameplay purposes as needed.

The shadow hawk is 5/8/7, the other mechs are 6/9/8. Not massively slower. I have a fast ground bound scout lance, these guys are envisioned to be the jumping scouts/scout hunters.

The Eyleuka has stealth armor, so it’s Gecm doesn’t really help in an EWAR capacity. And the Yao Ling has the c3 wasted on this lance. Swapping the c3 to a clan probe would really up the value (in terms of scout ability on the lance). It becomes a very nasty mugger lance.

I’m thinking about eating it and keeping the second Argotera or maybe salvaging a Davion Hellspawn 10SR. It’s got the whole EWAR set up, although it removes some of the scout killer vibe with its weapons load
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #905 on: 13 October 2023, 11:07:05 »
Even as a Davion fan, the Hellspawn gets an 'ew' for its looks, payload, and speed.  You can turn Stealth armor off and use the ECM on the Eyleuka--so it still may be the best option. 

What you need is a jumping Gunsmith with ECM.  If only that were a thing....

Grizzly

• Master Sergeant
  • Average Liao Enjoyer
« Reply #906 on: 14 October 2023, 05:34:43 »
This is mainly for a parade/in universe grouping. I don’t mind BV/PV considerations. I’ll change things around for gameplay purposes as needed.

The shadow hawk is 5/8/7, the other mechs are 6/9/8. Not massively slower. I have a fast ground bound scout lance, these guys are envisioned to be the jumping scouts/scout hunters.

The Eyleuka has stealth armor, so it’s Gecm doesn’t really help in an EWAR capacity. And the Yao Ling has the c3 wasted on this lance. Swapping the c3 to a clan probe would really up the value (in terms of scout ability on the lance). It becomes a very nasty mugger lance.

I’m thinking about eating it and keeping the second Argotera or maybe salvaging a Davion Hellspawn 10SR. It’s got the whole EWAR set up, although it removes some of the scout killer vibe with its weapons load

What about a Dola 1A1? 8/12/8 movement and Angel ECM. Plus the mini is first rate.

"I checked the [MUL] log, and it says that you--specifically--broke it." -Greekfire

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #907 on: 17 October 2023, 14:15:45 »
Augmented Lance formation...

Black Blizzard Drillson covers ECM and has other uses too.

Di Yu Huo Regulator, Arrow variant, same speed as Drillson, pretty neat to use the already heavy TAG.

Or a Regulator and Black Blizzard combo, hide and SLAP at range...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #908 on: 26 October 2023, 20:05:43 »
I am not a big fan of augmented lances, specifically with jump mechs. There is no way any vehicle could keep up, outside of VTOLs.

Regarding the Dola, I always thought it was another stealth mech. I guess not. It’s an option, but loses a lot of ballast in the lance

I’m thinking it’ll just stay an Agrotera. Next time I do IWM I’ll have to add another

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #909 on: 27 October 2023, 19:28:39 »
Well, its official.
I'm a grognard.
I don't recognize anything above outside of the word "Shadowhawk".   :shocked:
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #910 on: 27 October 2023, 19:56:48 »
Well, its official.
I'm a grognard.
It is a chill place to be  :smilie_character_fishing:
  :smilie_character_pirate2:

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #911 on: 27 October 2023, 21:50:45 »
Well, its official.
I'm a grognard.

This is how the CCAF overran the Federated Suns in the Dark Ages - they didn't recognize any of their forces as 'Mechs until it was too late!  :grin:

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #912 on: 07 November 2023, 12:33:28 »
What about a Dola 1A1? 8/12/8 movement and Angel ECM. Plus the mini is first rate.

Buy an Ostscout IIC from the Diamond Sharks.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #913 on: 07 November 2023, 12:49:02 »
Well, its official.
I'm a grognard.

Somehow I missed this.  I feel that way sometimes too!  Those other mechs featured in TRO: 3145 Capellan Confederation, which had a ton of nice toys for the CCAF.  I don't know which TRO compilation they are in, either 3145 or 3150. 

The 'realm' TRO's were great PDFs, because they had writing, art, and record sheets.  Highly recommend picking them up if you are curious.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #914 on: 16 November 2023, 15:23:24 »
I have one of the compilation ones IIRC, I just find that its not like the early TROs that I've owned for 30ish years & read 900 times each.

The new one I think I looked at 1x & maybe a couple check backs about a few key units I liked & then its been in storage since then, lol.

So I barely recognize one of the names & have no idea what the stats are for it.
Not like a Locust where I can give you the stats down to the Armor Points per Location from memory due to so many exposures to it.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Grizzly

• Master Sergeant
  • Average Liao Enjoyer
« Reply #915 on: 19 December 2023, 10:42:52 »
Any fellow Citizens had a chance to take on the IlClan in the latest WWE?

I regret to inform the strategos that in my encounter, our glorious forces of liberation were overwhelmed by those enemies of the greater humanity, the so-called Star League of Alaric the Bloodthirsty. May their day come yet!

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #916 on: 19 December 2023, 10:49:55 »
Any fellow Citizens had a chance to take on the IlClan in the latest WWE?

I regret to inform the strategos that in my encounter, our glorious forces of liberation were overwhelmed by those enemies of the greater humanity, the so-called Star League of Alaric the Bloodthirsty. May their day come yet!

We played the classic rules scenario twice. Went 1-1. The cappie loss was maybe 1 turn from a razor thin cappie win but we called it on time.

Grizzly

• Master Sergeant
  • Average Liao Enjoyer
« Reply #917 on: 19 December 2023, 11:54:51 »
Nice! Ours was more lopsided as the VP for mech destruction was weighed in an unexpected way.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #918 on: 23 December 2023, 23:12:41 »
I played in the AS game as a Capellan.

We lost pretty handily, the scoring seemed very lopsided.

Our list, imo, was set up very much to the detriment of the mission and our objectives

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #919 on: 14 January 2024, 21:56:32 »
I played in the AS game as a Capellan.

Interesting, I played it in TW & found the Cappies had a HUGE advantage in terms of force abilities.

Since they had to take the Urbies it left the rest of their force as top end heavy/assaults.

Surprise of the day, thinking our Nova-Prime is about to open up a Stalker at point blank hoping to get to the ammo only to discover the Stalker has all Clan Weapons & Hardened Armor.  DOH

2nd Surprise was finding out that the name on the RS you grabbed actually mattered.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #920 on: 15 January 2024, 01:08:26 »
Interesting, I played it in TW & found the Cappies had a HUGE advantage in terms of force abilities.

Since they had to take the Urbies it left the rest of their force as top end heavy/assaults.

Surprise of the day, thinking our Nova-Prime is about to open up a Stalker at point blank hoping to get to the ammo only to discover the Stalker has all Clan Weapons & Hardened Armor.  DOH

2nd Surprise was finding out that the name on the RS you grabbed actually mattered.

I think the Cappies lost handily in classic our first go around (the agent picked the lists, filling in the blanks). It was much closer in the redux with more even objective scoring for classic.

For AS we almost certainly lost in list building. We had 16 mechs, I think 5 had a TMM of 2+. Very few new modern variants (which matters less in AS but modern mechs are generally better). Our long range guns were terrible skill and short range guys who died in one hit were skill 2.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #921 on: 19 January 2024, 21:54:52 »
Hmm, not sure what your GM picked, but this is from my GM's thread.

Force lists:
Clans
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Falcon                           Tons     BV       Mechwarrior                      G/P   Adj BV    
Fire Moth (Dasher) H          20               779                                               4/3   935       
Kit Fox (Uller) K                30       1,109    Yana                             3/5   1,331     
Cougar I                         35       1,738    Bloodnamed Pilot                 2/3   2,920     
Nova Cat D                       70       2,084                                             4/5   2,084     
Masakari (Warhawk) H          85       2,601    Star Commander                3/4   3,433     
                                                                                          10,703
Wolf 5                           Tons     BV       Mechwarrior                      G/P   Adj BV    
Pouncer D                        40       2,246    Bloodnamed Pilot                 4/3   2,695     
Fenris (Ice Ferret) K            45       1,769                                             4/4   1,946     
Black Hawk (Nova) Prime       50       2,663    Star Commander                   3/4   3,515     
Summoner (Thor) J             70       2,666    Themistocles                     3/5   3,199     
Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) D      75       2,682    Star Captain                     3/4   3,540     
                                                                                          14,896
                                                                                          25,598   

Capellan Confederation
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
House Hiritsu 1                  Tons     BV       Mechwarrior                      G/P   Adj BV    
Cataphract CTF-5LL            70       2,322    Bo Transt                        3/4   3,065     
Longbow LGB-14V              85       1,763                                             2/4   2,715     
Stalker STK-9F                   85       2,469                                             2/3   4,148     
Marauder II MAD-6A            100      2,367                                     2/3   3,977     
                                                                                          13,905
House Hiritsu 2                  Tons     BV       Mechwarrior                      G/P   Adj BV    
Blackjack BJ-2                   45       1,148    Leon Sawyer                      3/4   1,515     
Trebuchet TBT-9N              50       1,550                                             3/4   2,046     
Victor VTR-10L                   80       2,279                                             3/4   3,008     
Highlander HGN-740            90       2,232                                     3/4   2,946     
                                                                                          9,516
Urbies                                  Tons     BV       Mechwarrior                G/P   Adj BV    
UrbanMech UM-R27                 30       610                                       4/5   610       
Urbanmech UM-R60                 30       504                                       4/5   504       
Urbanmech UM-R60L                30       470                                       4/5   470       
UrbanMech UM-R68                 30       561                                       4/5   561       
                                                                                          2,145
                                                                                          25,565

As I mentioned, the Cappies had beastly mechs.

To me the major issue w/ the scenario is the deployment zones.
Based on how the Cappies choose to deploy can affect their outcome more than mech options, IMO.

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #922 on: 26 January 2024, 11:53:06 »
So according to the upcoming McCarron's Armored Cavalry Assault Lance Box, they're running from Capellan space and becoming mercs again. I assume they're taking a couple regiments with them.

AVAILABLE FOR HIRE!
One of the largest and most successful mercenary commands of the late Third and Fourth Succession War Eras, the “Big MAC” shocked the Inner Sphere in 3060 when they fully merged with House Liao’s military. Now, as a new era dawns, this storied command once more seeks the mercenary life.

Unleash the McCarron’s Armored Cavalry Assault Lance! Included is the new Tian-Zong, a re-posed Black Knight, and new variants of the Awesome and jumping Starslayer—no assembly required—along with four MechWarrior pilot cards and four Alpha Strike cards. Perfect for BattleTech and Alpha Strike action!
Clan Protectorate

Angrii

• Sergeant
« Reply #923 on: 26 January 2024, 13:52:07 »
Quite the shake up... I wonder what this means for Danai?
Welcome to interesting times

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #924 on: 26 January 2024, 15:24:31 »
This has long been suspected since that art in DD. yet more confirmation, Daoshen ****** around and found out it would seem. Big loss for the cappies.

as for what it means for Danai my guess is that we'll find out the regiments simple revolt rather then accept her as CO. Be intreasting to see how Daoshen reacts, and if he'll blame her (when this is almost certainly HIS fault)
« Last Edit: 26 January 2024, 15:29:50 by BrianDavion »
The Suns will shine again

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #925 on: 26 January 2024, 16:06:50 »
So the Awesome & Starslayer both have a McCarrons "feel" to them from the Scenario Pack, but I'm not thrilled w/ the other 2 mechs :(

I know the Black Knight is now a named character mech for them but overall it just never felt Cappie to me.

As for the Tian-Zong,  I'd have preferred something more like a Yao Lien for a brand new frame or a Men Shen for a Pre-Jihad mech & also an OMNI which we are still lacking.
Or a nice fat boy axe monster like the Ti Ts'ang & a sniper like the Jinggau.
But I guess 2 new mechs in a box is a bit much to hope for, LOL.

On a side note, is it bad if I'm now hoping that the key to the FS turning it all around is that they Hire the MAC for a cheesy repeat of the 4th SW when they picked up the Highlanders?

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #926 on: 26 January 2024, 18:17:15 »
given the art in DD my guess is the MAC are going to work for the Dracs and basicly be the reason the Ghost Bear offensive goes Pear shaped for them.

Angrii

• Sergeant
« Reply #927 on: 26 January 2024, 22:41:38 »
Solid guess. That's a tidy way to uphold the status quo.
Welcome to interesting times

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
  • Is this the real life...
« Reply #928 on: 27 January 2024, 02:12:25 »
Also the FedSuns hiring the Big MAC would be ludicrously out of character for everyone. I don't think either side would trust the others not to kill them in their sleep.
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84031.0

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #929 on: 27 January 2024, 03:57:03 »
especially as the risk of Mask spies would proably be pretty high. now in 30 years once the MAC ahs been merc long eneugh that most of the people who where former CCAF are retired or dead, yeah I could see things changing then, but not right out of CCAF service.

Register