Author Topic: What facilities are onboard?  (Read 1363 times)

Syzyx

• Warrant Officer
What facilities are onboard?
« on: 20 September 2023, 14:08:36 »
I am trying to put together a cityship for... no good reason, really. But in looking at various droppers I have discovered that there's no apparent accounting of what facilities are included in ships. I have to presume that there are medical, culinary, recreation, etc. all onboard some ships, but is there any source that actually details this or is it a matter of pure conjecture and the dictates of Arthur Fiat?
But as a matter of fact I was quite busy getting potty-trained at the time and had no time for interstellar politics.- ykonoclast

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: What facilities are onboard?
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2023, 15:14:06 »
Basic medical and culinary facilities are supposed to be included in standard "quarters", but not bays.  Of course, you can install MASH equipment and Field Kitchens if you want.  Much of it is left to author fiat, as you note.

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2023, 15:14:48 »
From memory, ships are considered to have field kitchens and MASH units large enough to meet the needs of crew and complement (considered part of quarters space).

EDIT: Ninja'd.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2023, 15:46:59 »
Based on the entry in StratOps they don't give many specifics. That said everything to acceptably satisfy human needs and some of their wants. You should check out Atomic Rockets (https://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/index.php) and just go from there, it's what I did. Also check out my Free Trader and Second Star League Guides (linked in sig below) there are some handy excel sheets there.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2023, 15:48:25 »
The fluff from dropper to dropper varies a lot. For example the Intruder is said to have a well-equipped medical facility (that includes an operating theatre, intensive care ward and a dispensary) and training facilities for its troops. It is also supposed to have a well-equipped command center.

Go to the Seeker and its living conditions are said to be practically luxurious by typical standards. It has an extensive medical facility. It's also said to have 4 small fusion reactors instead of one big one, so that it has a level of redundancy.

The Condor is also said to have a well-equipped medical facility and training facilities.

The Hannibal is described as having spacious recreation facilities.

All of the above is just TRO fluff.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2023, 15:51:52 »
Just looked around and from what I can find, ships include enough kitchen and medical facilities for the crew and passengers (those in quarters). More can be added for those traveling in bays. The additional Kitchens and MASH units do add to the crew size though. You can find the additional crew requirements in Strategic Operations.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2023, 20:23:55 »
somewhere I read that field kitchens were not an item you could install on an ASF unit.  I could totally be mis-reading/remembering as well. (aha: page 217 in TM pdf ... something about DS incorporate kitchens as part of quarters.  Also I thought there was something in S.O. (will have to read harder for that though).
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2023, 20:35:16 »
As noted, some speak of Gyms, Training/Sparring areas, Full Surgery Suites, Separate MessHalls, single cabins v/s large bunk room.

At the opposite end of the spectrum IIRC was some Union? fluff where the only place for briefings was in the small mess hall area that everyone shared & only 2 bunk rooms 1 for crew & 1 for the warriors.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

sneakylikeajavelin

• Private
« Reply #8 on: 23 September 2023, 04:29:08 »
The TechManual says in the entry for field kitchens that DropShips count that ability in the tonnage for quarters (which I take as meaning if you have 30 quarters you also count as having a field kitchen that can serve 30 people). I don't see a corresponding comment in the entry for MASH equipment, so I've been adding that as an extra in my DropShip customisations - can someone give me a page reference where it says medical facilities are included in quarters tonnage?

Also I realise that I've been adding crew as the medical teams for a MASH facility but haven't thought about adding crew for the field kitchen effect given by quarters, so I should probably do that. I figure that 1 extra crew for every 50 quarters (rounding up) ought to do, given the regular kitchen needs 3 crew to feed 150 people.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 23 September 2023, 07:33:15 »
In the medical personnel portion of StraOps it notes that Spacecraft have a built in medical team as part of their crew. Additionally they have an additional medical team for each 100 crew on Warships and another one (for three) on Space Stations per 100 crew. Nothing about operating theaters or similar facilities but presumably there is a small infirmary.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 23 September 2023, 08:52:54 »
That reference has moved to Campaign Operations, page 191:
...Each DropShip, JumpShip or Large Naval Vessel Support Vehicle also carries the equivalent of a Medical Team as part of its crew.  WarShips have the equivalent of two Medical Teams per 100 individuals incorporated into their crew, while a Space Station has three per 100 individuals.  A unit can augment this allotment of personnel by including additional operating theaters in its design.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #11 on: 23 September 2023, 11:35:27 »
It makes sense though as part of the crew to have a medical team, an engineering team, a catering team

Same with the ships generally probably have at least one small gym to combat bone loss in zero g, food stores, medical stores, an infirmary with a surgery all are beyond the scope of a spreadsheet but I assumed they were always there

Other facilities probably exist as well just they are left up for the author/GM to decide
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 23 September 2023, 11:46:45 »
The "surgery" on the smaller vessels is probably just the extra lighting installed over the largest dining table... ;)

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 25 September 2023, 03:55:25 »
I think the built in facilities on the ships are for the crew only. Maybe a few passengers but not companies of infantry.  For example, I could see the standard Leopard or Leopard CV having enough faculties for all 21 on board but not a Leopard that's been convert to a troop transport or passenger liner. Just one infantry bay can more than double the amount of occupants. There just wouldn't be room for everyone, even in shifts. At a minimum they're going to want to expand the existing facilities in order to handle everyone. Ideally though, I think they'd have separate facilities for crew and passengers. The crew would want space of their own away from passengers. That way they're not constantly on duty. Like Officers and Enlisted having their own facilities. Plus the crew wouldn't want a passenger to see the Captain in sickbay and freak out. Having separate faculties could also help keep passengers in their own areas.

sneakylikeajavelin

• Private
« Reply #14 on: 25 September 2023, 13:01:50 »
That reference has moved to Campaign Operations, page 191:

Thanks for the reference  :smiley:

Reading the rules for medical teams on pages 191 and 210 of Campaign Ops, and the rules for MASH equipment on page 228 of the TechManual, my understanding is:
  • Dropships get a free "equivalent to a" medical team as part of their minimum crew requirement
  • Extra medical teams can be added by adding MASH equipment, which adds 5 to the minimum crew requirement per surgical theater
  • The number of people you can give medical care to is a function of the number of medical teams, not the number of MASH theaters

From this I feel a DropShip with no extra MASH equipment or extra medical teams can still give medical care to up to 25 injured people (there's an "or the needs of the crew to which they are attached" clause in the rules here, but the list of vessels doesn't include DropShips so I'm assuming that doesn't apply in this case). If you want the capacity to treat more people (and since OP is building a cityship that's probably the case) then you can add more MASH theaters and attached medical teams.

As an aside, this means a civilian DropShip of 5,000 tons or less has a minimum crew of 4 people, who (in addition to actually flying the DropShip) count as a 6 person technical team for the purposes of maintaining the DropShip and a 5 person medical team. Those are some hard workers!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #15 on: 25 September 2023, 15:29:33 »
Chief Engineer, report to the OR on the double!

Aye, lads. Looks like I'm needed in the theater, wiping his greasy hands.

**Whispering** What does he do?

**Whispering** Not only is he Chief Engineer, he's a Heart doctor too.

:shocked:

TT
« Last Edit: 25 September 2023, 15:33:11 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #16 on: 25 September 2023, 18:16:52 »
Yeah, there's some weirdness at the low end... hence my preference for actually installing the extra facilities and required crew.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 25 September 2023, 18:42:18 »
I like the idea of having MASH facilities on units that help expand the treatment ability of visiting craft, in the same vein kitchens would also make sense.  I would gather that the food prep is built into nearly any type of bay ... oh, look another microwave oven and mini-fridge!
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Register