Poll

What Happened To Clan Wolverine?

They made contact with ComStar, colonized the Hidden Worlds and fought in the Jihad.
118 (32.5%)
They invaded Nueva Castille and became the Umayyads.
40 (11%)
They colonized McEverdy's Folly and forgot their history.
40 (11%)
They settled somewhere beyond the Magistracy of Canopus.
82 (22.6%)
Other?
83 (22.9%)

Total Members Voted: 240

Author Topic: What Happened To Clan Wolverine?  (Read 63420 times)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Re: What Happened To Clan Wolverine?
« Reply #180 on: 02 August 2012, 06:49:56 »
What Happened To Clan Wolverine?

The Regulans
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
  • "Now, let's add a couple of happy Death Commandos"
« Reply #181 on: 02 August 2012, 11:32:18 »
Just to stir the pot a little bit, what if the Wolverines took a few Iron Wombs with them?  How quickly does that speed up 'production'?  Particularly if they produce, say, 1 child per year rather than the 5 year cycles that the Clans seem to use?

Did they invent Iron Wombs by the time the Wolverines fled?
"I can't save his life, it's too embarrassing!" - Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC SSC

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #182 on: 02 August 2012, 11:48:14 »
Did they invent Iron Wombs by the time the Wolverines fled?

Yes, but they still have to feed all those folks, despite few resources and infrastructure.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Doy

• Sergeant
  • Clan Snow Wolf
    • Clan Snow Wolf - Homepage
« Reply #183 on: 07 December 2019, 09:29:42 »
[I know is an old Topic but this Topic is where i wanna say some thing after i read all here - it makes no sense to made a new one to set a link in this topic - why not than posting here! I bring freshwind and don't wanna spam some thing.
The Rule in near Every Forum (sure not in my own) is OLD and far from kindness, useful and meaningful!
I found this Problem all time when i seach some topic in web and found a cool forum (like this one) and read interesting meanings and discussions. I would like to contribute my part to this topic.] 

I hope and trust that the moderators and admins of this great Battletech forum think more modern than I have experienced elsewhere so far and I hope that some of you users think about it this rule is obsolete. I hope you all enjoy reading in the forum  :thumbsup:

BACK to TOPIC
Clan Wolverine was a prime example of Clan, until the day when the dispute between Nicolas and Sarah arises!
Only Nicolas intrigues and lies make the Not-Named-Clan something negative.
That should not be overseen. In this Clan, there were certainly good and bad people (as in all Clans and Houses)

CLAN-DNA
The genes of the first founding members are well documented and the codex of the warriors are well monitored!
Nevertheless, with the civilians there are certainly weak points that can be used for storytelling!
Remember that Clanner is only human, who can fall in love with everything and everyone!

Example:
Operation Klondike I do not think all people were killed that would be waste the Clans do not like wasting. it is certainly given groups have given up or have been converted the bring new DNA with them as well as later loves the Abtaka were taken and were not always warriors.
(in warriors we know that have Codex)

Q1: What interested me in this interesting debate, what happened to the Genetic Heritage of the Wolverines, was it seized, destroyed or did the survivors take it with them?

Wolverine goals & thinkings:
It would make sense to increase genetic heritage and create new workers and warriors. Especially when so many warriors of the clan have died.
I do not think the Wolverines have the extinction or dissolution of their clan in mind. I think rather they want their peace some where else and some of them also revenge !!!

Changing DNS to survive:
If we look at the events in the Wars of Reaving, the Clan (Science) Society has managed to breed Genetic Viruses to destroy certain Blood Names.
Making Genetic Weapons also means that you can make Genetic Changes so change your DNA that you no longer recognize the Wolverines as such.
I would use the name the Blood because the Wolverines who changed in WoB did so while not finding them.

Natrual change of DNA:
In the I.S. submerged Wolverines can dilute themselves so much with freeborns of other families over several generations that a pursuit becomes very difficult or even impossible.
Clan Wolverine can also welcome new members who take the history and future of the clan on their shoulders.
These members would be with the adoption ritual full members with completely different DNS.
Q2: That means even if the Clans wipe out all Wolverines in a noted Wolverine based DNA genocide, will be there still be a second leg?
A2: Sure! With adopted Members who share same goals and hate but have not the DNA (to make sure you line and you goal survive ist to get more people on your side)

The Umayad
The Umayad are a troupe of old Star League soldiers who split off from the Exodus or fled from Klondike.
The two-year discrepancy leaves speculation open as to whether the Wolverines have interacted with the Umayad.
( In Past i was a major fan of Umayad are the Wolverines, but now is fine too. Umayad are cool more in Clan Gholiat Scoption or Scorpion Empire )
We know the Umayad are not Clan Wolverine also they are Exodus survivors ( this give them a cool tuch )

The Lost Ship & 2 Jears
Whatever is overseen if that the ship Members are not the Umayad, it's out there somewhere and has long relied on the Clan Corridor in the invasion so this group would have to be out there somewhere.
( No where is told they are destroyed )

Are the Wolverine Survivors ar splintered?
Sure, This alone shows that we have several groups, 1. Minisotatribe (Main Body), 2. lost ship group and the 3rd. Guys who become the driving WoB Members (the Blood).

Word of Blake / World of McEverdy
They are the moving power behind the scenes in Word of Blake and even what was planned and end in the holy war ( Dschihad )
A Fieldmanual World of Blake with the wolverines would be cool
Consider also against Nikolas Clan Watch Sarah created her own secret service with good counter agents against espionage.
These Agents are certainly well in infiltrate all the I.S. houses.

Wovlerines in the Periphery under the Inner Sphere
The Smartest idea for the Wolverines is to be under the I.S. to bring the I.S. between them and the Clans of Nicolas
I am firmly convinced that the Wolverines have more than one plan and more than 1 individual conducts their actions.
It Looks like the People in the innerphere cant jump under or over the map and so the Clans dont attack Liao from Behind oder strategie like this happend.
Also would be the Wolverines saver there as in the Inner Sphere... ( to be contunued )

Dschihad Story Plot
I'm sure the Document Stone have given the Ghost Bears was maybe a part of truth, but major point to make the bear join. (and they did!)
Question is when the Wolverines are ready to hide them in Dschihad  is clear why the Ghost Bears and ohters found no Wolverines!
Q3: Have you ever thought about it as the Dschihad failed from the original plan that the Wolverines have dropped off?
Your most important goal will surely survive.
Maybe WoB wanted use the Wolverines agains the Houses to secure them rule in I.S.
and than they get Used and turned by the Wolverines

We do not know if the Wolverines inside Comstar of WoB have ever entered into negotiations with other houses or even have splinter groups in every house.
We still don't know
Clan Wolverine is still the only one Faction who knew the full power of the 19 original Clans.

IllClan Story Plot
Although at IllClan the Jade Falcons are conquering the sanctuary of Terra, the Wolverines were the first Clan with one foot on earth!
When a group Wolverines joined the Comguards and became the Blood of WoB, they claims to be the First and the Winner.
But a abjured Clan or even an anhilated Clan are void for others.
( note that for the homeworld Clans the I.S. Clans are abjured and no longer count / conversely for the council of 6 in same way the homworld Clans) Clan Nova Cat and Clan Wolf (in Exile) for both of them!

When Clan Jade Falcons conquer the Terra ( Earth ), they become the IllClan of all Clans and the new leader of the Star League.
( We have there been any in the past )

Alric Ward is ready to retake Terra from Clan Jade Falcon.
Alric is a Steiner-Davion so connected to 2 Houses and a Khan of Nicolas Clan, also followers of Alexandr Kerensky who should be sitting on these thrones. When Steiner, Davion and Marik (because of the Clan Potectorate & non-aggression pact)
With him on the Throne sure follow the third Star Leauge made by Clans and Houses. They have not much resistance and when they burn it down in fire.

Thirs Star Leauge vs new Mighty Faction
Q4: Who wants to be the new Oponent for this 3rd Star Leauge?
A4: Right a new Faction! You could increase the map of the Inner Sphere by a second where the Wolverines represent a new Realm.

- Maybe the Minesota Tribe still stay at McEverdy's Folly and should be the new Homeworld, but in fact it just become a stop point to make some rest and rebuild the touman of the Independet Clan Wolverine.
- The WoB-Wolverines Group contacted them before the Clans can destroy them and vanisched (again).
- They move down ward when the Clans found them Position ( Wovlerines in the Periphery under the Inner Sphere is goin on here ;) )

The last remnant of Word of Blacke merged with Clan Wolverine build up by normal born Children and modern Iron Wombs base on ROM Information over the Clan Wombs.
Start over many, many jears an eugenic Programm rised up as the new Faction to destroy the Third Starleage and maybe the Inner Sphere to claim all.

Mana Domini and WoB Mech combined Forces lead by Clan Wolverine in a mixed Army of I.S. and Clan Tech on a new Level.
colonising many Star systems to be equal and a thread to the Inner Sphere..
The Democratic Wolverine Empire ready for a war not any more seen since Stefan Amaris

...i still hope the ball goes forward in story telling...
« Last Edit: 07 December 2019, 11:17:50 by Doy »

Doy

• Sergeant
  • Clan Snow Wolf
« Reply #184 on: 08 December 2019, 09:38:08 »
From where came the information that the Wolverines fight against this Bird Aliens ?
« Last Edit: 08 December 2019, 11:12:53 by Doy »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #185 on: 08 December 2019, 10:57:40 »
From where came the information that the Wolverines fight against this Bird Aliens ?

At a FASA writers’ retreat in the 1990s, they were brainstorming.  Some wanted to introduce the Wolverines.  Some wanted to introduce aliens.  Someone else joked that neither could be introduced because the Wolverines were off fighting the aliens to protect the inner sphere.  Since the Tetatae are the only sentient aliens in the BattleTech fiction, that became the meme.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Doy

• Sergeant
  • Clan Snow Wolf
« Reply #186 on: 08 December 2019, 11:14:57 »
wondering

i know the Bird Aliens but Funny that the Wolverines should protect the IS this would made them to WARDEN

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #187 on: 10 December 2019, 10:14:06 »
Here is a good question, what would have happened, or what would happen if the truth about the Wolverines, that they had been destroyed as a lesson to the other clans and were largely innocent, haf gotten out? If some Eolf khan had decided to let Nick's journals see the light of day?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #188 on: 11 December 2019, 02:33:17 »
Probably nothing.  The Clans aren't known for having an over-abundance of critical thinking skills.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #189 on: 11 December 2019, 03:13:39 »
Here is a good question, what would have happened, or what would happen if the truth about the Wolverines, that they had been destroyed as a lesson to the other clans and were largely innocent, haf gotten out? If some Eolf khan had decided to let Nick's journals see the light of day?

Something like that was done during the Wars of Reaving. The Society spread the story around to stir up the lower castes, but it had little tangible effect.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #190 on: 11 December 2019, 05:09:57 »
The Raven Khan knew. I always wondered if she passed the story down, at least through her blood house. Kind of a counter to Nicky's rewriting of history after their talk at the end of BoL.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #191 on: 11 December 2019, 18:39:19 »
In the early days not much: Crazy Nicky had a huge popularity base. The most I could see would be a clear early division among the Clans and maybe a hatred of Widowmaker and the Jaguars maybe. The Snow Ravens, Nova Cats, and a couple others might band together politically but not much beyond that.

GLADIUS6

• Recruit
    • Stream
« Reply #192 on: 19 December 2022, 10:00:06 »
My Opinion after reading Redemption & Malice that they are out in the deep periphery thriving and rebuilding, As the Clans are going through the Inner Sphere purging & trying to erase the Bloodnames of Clan Wolverine within The Inner Sphere civilian population, With the cancel culture move of Blaine Pardoe by Catalyst, we may never know their final story, To this day opinionated folks try to spread misinfo within the community trying to erase them in RL,  I like to believe they actually created their version of the Star League away from the idiots of the Inner Sphere and are thriving helping those who they can when they can, I have contacted Catalyst for a statement on the whole matter, this was their reply and I quote;

There have been no changes with any factions. Clan Wolverine is still dead in the current era. I do not know of any other information on them.

When I pressed them on Redemption and Malice story and the fan base behind Clan Wolverine, Minnesota Tribe, Clave they responded with:
All I can tell you is that my statement is the current stance of the Battletech team. I don't know what future plans they have, and, honestly, if I did I wouldn't be able to say.

So there you have it what is the current status of the The Clave, I was disappointed in their response anyhow that my addition to this thread Hunt well and remember We are still out there!

MT Titan McEvedy
331st Royal Battlemech Division
Commanding The Original Minnesota Tribe
Transmitting from the Deep Periphery
MT-Titan McEvedy
Commander
331st RBD, MT
Clan Wolverine

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #193 on: 19 December 2022, 12:27:07 »
First: welcome to the forum trothkin! Second a bit of thread necro but that’s all good (from me at least l).

They have released some news about the Wolverines (albeit indirectly) stating that the Umayyad Caliphate are NOT Wolverines but ex-SLDF survivors from the Pentagon Powers so there is that. As far as the Clave goes and the future of the Wolverines…

You’re right we don’t see any conclusion coming for them for a long time (if ever), and of course they’d keep it under wraps. That and BLP has left the development/writing team (and BT all together) so any plans they might have had are gone as well.

The Clave of course is canon and we get a glimpse of it in Redemption and Malice and your statements seem to echo what most believe: some sort of pseudo Clan/SLDF in exile hybrid. I don’t know how well they are thriving but certainly doing well.

Of course as Wolverine fans we are optimistic and hopeful about the future as always, and of course will always be here.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #194 on: 19 December 2022, 12:40:49 »
Personally, I prefer that we don't ever learn the True Fate of the Wolverines. BattleTech is sorely lacking in mystery these days and not everything needs to be tied up nicely with a bow.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #195 on: 19 December 2022, 15:13:08 »
Personally, I prefer that we don't ever learn the True Fate of the Wolverines. BattleTech is sorely lacking in mystery these days and not everything needs to be tied up nicely with a bow.

I get that feeling, I really do. Personally for me (and many other fans (I don’t know the split actually: although probably make a good poll)) since we know they are out there somewhere we just want to know what they’re up too. Sorta like the Homeworlds: we know as of 3085 they’re still kicking but it’s 70 years later at this point. I don’t care if it’s a neat bow: just a status update would be cool.

But agreed: mysteries are cool and fun. The original Bounty Hunters ID’s, the Green Ghosts, the Blck Marauder series is pretty cool recently. Hell I still want to know about ‘Blood Avatar’ and what was up with that lol

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #196 on: 19 December 2022, 15:19:23 »
Unfortunately, I think the stuff in "Blood Avatar" (like so much of that early part of the Dark Age) has been thrown to the wayside. It was definitely one of those mysteries that piqued my interest, too.

And personally speaking, I'm relieved that Blorp isn't around to write more Wolverine fiction. "Betrayal of Ideals" has gotten worse with age (it reads like bad fanfiction) and continuing to shove them into that role with this Clave stuff is just... odd to me. Just let them go off into the Deep Periphery and linger as the footnote they should be.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

GLADIUS6

• Recruit
    • Stream
« Reply #197 on: 19 December 2022, 16:29:48 »
Being a BattleTech player since its conception,& being part of bringing The Remnants of Clan Wolverine to the internet back in the Kali days and NBT and mektek league days as the 331st Royal Battlemech Division which we pulled out of the books, it was a shame that Mr. Pardoe was cancelled like he was, IMHO he was one of their greatest writers, and BattleTech wouldn't be the game it is without him and some of the original crew, BattleTech was probably the only game that was inclusive before inclusiveness was cool. I also feel that they could keep them mysterious and throw a bone out there every now then keep us 331 fans happy, heck they are letting the clans still play with the story (allowing the clanners go and murder IS civilians with Wolverine bloodnames) why not keep the Wolverine fans Happy to,
MT-Titan McEvedy
Commander
331st RBD, MT
Clan Wolverine

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #198 on: 19 December 2022, 17:14:39 »
Being a BattleTech player since its conception,& being part of bringing The Remnants of Clan Wolverine to the internet back in the Kali days and NBT and mektek league days as the 331st Royal Battlemech Division which we pulled out of the books, it was a shame that Mr. Pardoe was cancelled like he was, IMHO he was one of their greatest writers, and BattleTech wouldn't be the game it is without him and some of the original crew, BattleTech was probably the only game that was inclusive before inclusiveness was cool. I also feel that they could keep them mysterious and throw a bone out there every now then keep us 331 fans happy, heck they are letting the clans still play with the story (allowing the clanners go and murder IS civilians with Wolverine bloodnames) why not keep the Wolverine fans Happy to,

Good old NBT days… never got a chance to play with you guys and gals which is a shame.

Issues on the author aside (because it’s a touchy subject)… look BoI was a bit fan-service i won’t lie. But it’s also a good narrative from the other sides point of view (wrongly or rightly). We get everyone’s (aka Nicky’s) point of view about the Wolverines for decades but then finally a story of the other side. In a society where the victors write the history it is good to see from both sides to better get an understanding in the conflict. Without breaching the rules too much: I’m the American Civil War it’s good to have sources from both sides to understand why people did what they did: rightly or wrongly from a civilian to the highest General or lowest Private. The more we know of the story the better… at least from a History Majors point of view at least.

Oh the idea with a Clave is definitely an odd sounding group (for BT or Clans as a whole).

But *shrugs* everyone has their factions, their likes and dislikes, they way they wanted things to be, or the way we want to see them go. The only way to change them is (at least in this case) submit a Shrapnel piece. I know they have a whole ‘no Wolverine policy’ but maybe write something close, like the aforementioned hunt of Wolverine Bloodnames, or a piece on the 331st. Who knows… maybe one day join the writing crew (don’t look at me lol).

Just my two cents

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #199 on: 19 December 2022, 19:44:37 »
One thing about Battetech is that no single author has control of a given faction, unit, or even character.  It's always possible that we could eventually see more come out about the Wolverines, but I agree with Tassa that the fate of the Wolverines is better as a mystery than something we get an answer on.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #200 on: 20 December 2022, 08:56:20 »
At this point, yeah. The mystery of the wolverines and everyone’s headcanon about that will be more interesting than whatever’s written.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #201 on: 20 December 2022, 09:45:18 »

The poll in the OP should have had an “All of the Above” option...
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #202 on: 20 December 2022, 10:17:50 »
I'm fine with Wolverine coming back eventually, but it can't just be a fanservice-y "oh look, here they are!"

Reintroducing them would be huge, so it needs to really, really, really work in service to the plot, and right now I'm not seeing where they'd fit that well, at least not within the forseeable future. No doubt we'll probably see the Homeworlds come back before Wolverine.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
« Reply #203 on: 20 December 2022, 10:49:50 »
Yeah, if there was a time for the Wolverines to come back, it would have been revealing that they were the Manei Domini; I can't think of anything else left where they could meaningfully have a place in the world. If they survived at all, they're probably out there in the Deep Periphery doing Minnesota stuff and should be left to do so in peace.
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #204 on: 20 December 2022, 11:08:21 »
they're probably out there in the Deep Periphery doing Minnesota stuff and should be left to do so in peace.

They actually invented time travel and came back to this past weekend’s NFL game to enable that big Minnesota Vikings comeback.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #205 on: 20 December 2022, 11:24:39 »

This.

Red Herrings give GMs the opportunity to craft fun and interesting stories/games without worrying about the tight fit canon often dictates. Players can craft an entire gaming campaign around the hunt for the 331 because the 331's final fate HASN'T been decided or described in detail. Mysteries are fertile ground for creativity in the BTU.
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #206 on: 20 December 2022, 14:46:49 »
If they are to be reintroduced, they have to bring something new to the setting. BT isn't short on factions capable of laying down the stompy mech action so there's little point if that's all their return will be for.

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #207 on: 20 December 2022, 15:45:18 »
If they are to be reintroduced, they have to bring something new to the setting. BT isn't short on factions capable of laying down the stompy mech action so there's little point if that's all their return will be for.

Not just that. Currently they provide a source of conspiracy theories, storytelling and campaign opportunities, fun what if exercises. Whatever new thing they bring to the table has to outweigh all that.

To me, they have nothing to offer that’s close to enough to warrant removing the fun conspiracy theories. They were clanners who were just slightly less clanner than the rest of the clans and escaped with too few and too little to warrant having the tech or industry to have a force large enough to matter.

butchbird

• Master Sergeant
  • 'Just a Veteran Lurker
« Reply #208 on: 20 December 2022, 19:15:46 »
While I merely add to the numbers who'd rather keep the mystery, IF they were to "come back", it'd be interesting to have them as some form of failed society, having been unable to to capitalize on their superior knowledge and technology through lack of some means, perhaps something as basic as not having anyone versed enough in metallurgy. Perhaps something ironic, like having developped a "sect-like" form of societal organization which goes even beyond that developped by the clans.

A few unseen, god-like figures, living in their wandering 'mechs, constantly roving from one offering site to the next. A historical footnote, stumbled upon by explorers.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #209 on: 23 December 2022, 05:11:46 »
They were clanners who were just slightly less clanner than the rest of the clans and escaped with too few and too little to warrant having the tech or industry to have a force large enough to matter.
I disagree that they are slightly less clanner than the others. At the time, all Clans were in a rat race. Wolverine used controversial methods at the time to get ahead, but these methods would eventually be adopted by other Clans in the succeeding 2 centuries and all the way into revival. Things like investing in new technologies, military industrial build ups and relaxing inter-caste barriers were all measures that the other Clans would eventually implement to one degree or another. In these, the Wolverines weren't less clanner than others, they were in fact, pioneers ahead of their time.

Register