Author Topic: Battle Armor in AToW scale  (Read 4140 times)

grimlock1

• Captain
Battle Armor in AToW scale
« on: 18 April 2019, 11:41:39 »
What page of AToW covers how to convert 4+1 points of armor for a Kage suit into RPG scale damage?  A friend and I were talking about Nebula California and he knows D&D and some other systems, but I don't know AToW. The conversation revolved around a wizard or group of wizards teleporting Elementals directly into a Star Destroyer.

Between the fact that the BA troops have to come straight at them because of the hallways, and the fact that they are 3+9 meters tall should let even Stormies score a decent number of hits.  On the other hand, if an Elemental II is sprinting towards you at speeds comparable to Usain Bolt.... First you say it, then you do it.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
Re: Battle Armor in AToW scale
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2019, 18:50:40 »
The rules for battle armor are on pages 185-187 of AToW. If you want some help figuring them out, I made a video a couple videos on how I think the rules can be implemented. One video is an explanation of the rules; the other video is a demonstration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9n6xNEAboA&list=PLW4v4K6PB7qIWAumfYAqdfxOlk4OgDOTD&index=9&t=7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZjMMr02-kc&list=PLW4v4K6PB7qIWAumfYAqdfxOlk4OgDOTD&index=9

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 19 April 2019, 07:43:45 »
The rules for battle armor are on pages 185-187 of AToW. If you want some help figuring them out, I made a video a couple videos on how I think the rules can be implemented. One video is an explanation of the rules; the other video is a demonstration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9n6xNEAboA&list=PLW4v4K6PB7qIWAumfYAqdfxOlk4OgDOTD&index=9&t=7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZjMMr02-kc&list=PLW4v4K6PB7qIWAumfYAqdfxOlk4OgDOTD&index=9
Those vids are a great help because the AToW rules are something else. Part of the damage inflicted varies with the MOS, but the max variation would be +/-12, right?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 19 April 2019, 08:50:14 »
Depends on your skill and TN modifiers. Could be higher. Though that is difficult.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 19 April 2019, 10:36:54 »
Depends on your skill and TN modifiers. Could be higher. Though that is difficult.
:o
So based on BiggRigg42's video examples, killing an armored Elemental could be anything from 1 to 10 hits.  Wow.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 19 April 2019, 11:50:12 »
:o
So based on BiggRigg42's video examples, killing an armored Elemental could be anything from 1 to 10 hits.  Wow.

Essentially, but this really depends on what you are fighting an elemental or battle armored soldier with. For example, if one guy in battle armor was going up against an infantry unit manning a support weapon, it may be way less than 10 hits; maybe the infantry unit would have a chance. You could even have one guy in battle armor fighting a tank, which would probably wouldn't last ten hits. But of course, any individual without battle armor challenging another individual in battle armor to a duel is going to have a bad time. 

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 19 April 2019, 13:37:04 »

Essentially, but this really depends on what you are fighting an elemental or battle armored soldier with. For example, if one guy in battle armor was going up against an infantry unit manning a support weapon, it may be way less than 10 hits; maybe the infantry unit would have a chance. You could even have one guy in battle armor fighting a tank, which would probably wouldn't last ten hits. But of course, any individual without battle armor challenging another individual in battle armor to a duel is going to have a bad time.

As I mentioned, this is a Nebula California case so a rifle that does 2E/8B and armor that is..... 
:stupid:
If I had scrolled a bit further down on Nebula California, it has the tables necessary to build a platoon of (Storm) Troopers for TW scale.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 19 April 2019, 14:08:55 »
Using Nebula California : youre doing it correctly.  :thumbsup:
The solution is just ignore Paul.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 19 April 2019, 14:30:31 »
What is this Nebula California that we are speaking of?

bluedragon7

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 19 April 2019, 14:53:44 »
2E/8B hitting single shot with MoS 4:
2E/9 vs 6 BA-BAR gives (9-(6-2))/6=0.8 Damage, which rounds down to 0
With MoS 8 it’s then 1 damage to the tactical armor ( and none to the pilot)
Assuming burst fire (and RoF of 8+) MoS 8 would be 16 base damage resulting in 2 damage to the tactical armor and 1 damage to the pilot

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 19 April 2019, 15:43:28 »
What is this Nebula California that we are speaking of?
:D The squees of gamers, distilled into a glorious amber nectar of pure batballs insantity. :D
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Welcome_to_Nebula_California

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 19 April 2019, 20:05:01 »
:D The squees of gamers, distilled into a glorious amber nectar of pure batballs insantity. :D
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Welcome_to_Nebula_California

Oh, I see. It was a 2015 April Fools' joke. Sadly, I missed that because I was being lame and playing D&D 3.5 back in 2015.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #12 on: 19 April 2019, 20:10:41 »
Oh, I see. It was a 2015 April Fools' joke. Sadly, I missed that because I was being lame and playing D&D 3.5 back in 2015.

Don't be sad. Not only is it still available, it's free!
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 26 April 2019, 10:08:02 »
I've been wondering how many mechs it would have taken to hold Echo Base on Hoth since I first played Mechwarrior for PC, back in 1989.  SW tech gets pretty heavily nerfed.  If you assume a long, narrow battlefield to match what we saw in ESB, I doubt I would need much more than pair of Cicada -3C's and a pair of Wolfhound -1's.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 02 May 2019, 10:12:39 »
Another question...
Does AToW rules allow Battle Armor like the Marauder (BA) to use two AP weapons in turn?  I can write the Kanazuchi off as a rules change, but that doesn't make sense for 3145 era stuff like the Marauder.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 02 May 2019, 11:36:40 »
Page 213 of ATOW.

"As with vehicular units, battle armor may fire one, some or all of their weapons as a single Simple Action."

Last paragraph before the "Conventional Infantry Weapons on Battle Armor" header.