Author Topic: Easter munchies!! YUM  (Read 2900 times)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Easter munchies!! YUM
« on: 19 February 2018, 02:49:03 »
So, easter is nearby, and as someone raised in the UK, i always loved the hollow chocolate easter eggs the brit shops always stocked..  I also adored some of the boxed sets of Candies, like Quality Streets, or Cadbury's Celebrations..

So for all our chockie lovers out there..  What are YOUR favorite eggs to get?
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
Re: Easter munchies!! YUM
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2018, 03:08:40 »
i'm more of a jellybeans guy. american easter choclate is pretty meh unless you buy the expensive stuff (at which point it just tastes like our regular chocolate bars. because its made by the same people. apparently making ovals and bunny shapes requires a 3x cost increase)

but jellybeans tend to taste better, even the cheaper ones (though those are blander than the quality stuff). especially since you have brands like starburst that will make them with nice strong fruit flavors, while still being fairly affordable.
« Last Edit: 19 February 2018, 04:36:18 by glitterboy2098 »

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2018, 04:30:51 »
This Easter happens to fall on April 1, of all dates.

Clearly the answer is get a bunch of kids together to hunt Easter eggs that you didn't hide.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2018, 05:30:09 »
Happy day today, managed to find dairy-free chocolate easter eggs and bunnies for 4 year old daughter who has an allergy to dairy. That way she does not have to miss out on the easter egg hunt.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2018, 13:58:18 »
I used to be mental for the Cadbury creme eggs. You know, the ones a bit smaller than an actual egg that were filled with a gritty, slightly gelatinous filling that was almost pure sugar? I always though it was cool how they put a dollop of yellow icing inside the white icing to make it look like an egg yoke. Sadly, these days I probably couldn't force myself to eat a whole egg. That much sugar is just unappetizing to me now.

Now? Hmmm...probably something fairly simple like a nice dark chocolate, or maybe a something small with a tiny bit of fruit filling in it. Godiva usually makes little filled easter egg chocolates every year that are pretty tasty. The little Dove chocolate bites aren't bad either.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2018, 14:12:55 »
Happy day today, managed to find dairy-free chocolate easter eggs and bunnies for 4 year old daughter who has an allergy to dairy. That way she does not have to miss out on the easter egg hunt.

How do you get dairy free chocolate?

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2018, 16:23:57 »
i'm more of a jellybeans guy. american easter choclate is pretty meh unless you buy the expensive stuff (at which point it just tastes like our regular chocolate bars. because its made by the same people. apparently making ovals and bunny shapes requires a 3x cost increase)

but jellybeans tend to taste better, even the cheaper ones (though those are blander than the quality stuff). especially since you have brands like starburst that will make them with nice strong fruit flavors, while still being fairly affordable.
american chocolate s not chocolate...sorry real stuff is way different in texture and taste, american chocolate only has chocolate smell and even that is fake.  had been in states for 35 years and i hae yet to come across american made chocolate that is a real one...

like brits i do enjoy the chocolate eggs and a bit of polish tradition of a lamb made out of sugar painted up a bit with food coloring to make it look like a white lamb.
but sadly thanks to american tradition of lets make it fake and pass it on as real thing i had had neither in 35 years.
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2018, 16:28:47 »
This Easter happens to fall on April 1, of all dates.

Clearly the answer is get a bunch of kids together to hunt Easter eggs that you didn't hide.

I REALLY need a "Like" button for this post!   O0   ;D

[applause]  [applause]  [applause]
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #8 on: 19 February 2018, 18:45:52 »
How do you get dairy free chocolate?

actually 70%, 85% and 90% Dark Chocolate is dairy free. dark chocolate tends to be very low dairy to start with. i know that the Lindt brand dark chocolates, while a bit pricier, use non-dairy ingredients. a lot of others dark chocolate brands are too. just check the ingredient lists to be sure.

there are also some brands of sweet and semi-sweet chocolate that use things like rice milk or other milk alternatives. though they tend to be be specialty store type brands, not commonly found in supermarkets.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: 19 February 2018, 19:58:34 »
What are YOUR favorite eggs to get?

Reese's peanut butter eggs...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #10 on: 19 February 2018, 20:47:26 »
Peeps are always my favorite.
Reese's Peanut Butter Trees a very close second.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 19 February 2018, 22:32:31 »
Peeps are always my favorite.
Reese's Peanut Butter Trees a very close second.
peeps are nothing more than pink or yellow evil...there is nothing more evil on this planet more...maybe an applesauce but no peeps are more evil.
as for reeses? if you like pb and chocolate heavenly reward...

here is a bit of recipe you can use on people you hate to visit you ...yes you can kill them:) how? with diabetes and they will still say thank you for doing so and will ask for more or can i have another....?

you need as follows
oreo cookies or any cookie with white stuff in between (i know there is green mint and pumpkin and more but white stuff seems to work best)
marshmellows big ones not tiny ones
reeses peices minis
chocolate and sprinkles...

between two or more marshmellows place reeses mini make sure that its in cylinder shape no wider than oreo cookie
once that is done place marshmellow stuffed with reeses mini between the two cookies so you have a sandwich
now here comes a fun part dip that sandwich in melted chocholate adjust the thickness to preference
let it settle or not and sprinkle some sprinkles on it optional add whipped creame or frosting on top
and to be extra evil have a hot carmel or melted chocolate dipping bowls...
to be extra evil you can get fineley chopped or shaved chocolate shavings in the marshmellows
serve with a smile...

btw this seems to be a great hit with kids...with adults not so much
also you can decorate them like little bunnies with small marshmellows for ears and noses....
« Last Edit: 19 February 2018, 22:34:44 by elf25s »
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 20 February 2018, 00:01:11 »

Ruger
yes very tasty much goodness......
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 20 February 2018, 00:21:38 »

Ruger

Yep, these are pretty much my go-to as well. I used to be a big fan of the Cadbury Eggs with caramel in the center when I was younger, but, they're a bit too sweet for my taste nowadays.

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 20 February 2018, 00:39:31 »
but sadly thanks to american tradition of lets make it fake and pass it on as real thing i had had neither in 35 years.

That's one of the big 'GRRS" i had when i moved back stateside after being stationed overseas..  Lack of access to good brit easter eggs..  (along with cornish pasties, sausage rolls, etc).

here is a bit of recipe you can use on people you hate to visit you ...yes you can kill them:) how? with diabetes and they will still say thank you for doing so and will ask for more or can i have another....?

..Snip..

btw this seems to be a great hit with kids...with adults not so much
also you can decorate them like little bunnies with small marshmellows for ears and noses....

That sounds like one heck of a sugar rush..

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 20 February 2018, 03:45:00 »
That's one of the big 'GRRS" i had when i moved back stateside after being stationed overseas..  Lack of access to good brit easter eggs..  (along with cornish pasties, sausage rolls, etc).

That sounds like one heck of a sugar rush..
i miss german candy i loved the mars bars ...unlike here those delicious sweet things were awesome ...that and carmel would suck your teeth out of your head thats how chewee it was...
and lets not forget the soda...coke so carbonated that it would try to attack your sinus cavity with vengence...and making tears

ahhh good real stuff and delicious...

comparing british and german sweets i would go hands down with german...i cannot get a real mrzzepan state side or little polish sweets that can get you arrested after eating them ifyou drive
rum filled chocolate barrels... the little monsters ....each one is an equivelent of 6 to 7 shots of vodka but in rum and chocolate and rum form.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 20 February 2018, 05:45:47 »
I used to be mental for the Cadbury creme eggs. You know, the ones a bit smaller than an actual egg that were filled with a gritty, slightly gelatinous filling that was almost pure sugar? I always though it was cool how they put a dollop of yellow icing inside the white icing to make it look like an egg yoke. Sadly, these days I probably couldn't force myself to eat a whole egg. That much sugar is just unappetizing to me now.

Now? Hmmm...probably something fairly simple like a nice dark chocolate, or maybe a something small with a tiny bit of fruit filling in it. Godiva usually makes little filled easter egg chocolates every year that are pretty tasty. The little Dove chocolate bites aren't bad either.

I don't mind the Cream Eggs, but I really miss the Dream Eggs, white chocolate with a truffle centre. Shame the stopped making them.

Mostly now I like the Malteaser Malteaster bunnies and eggs, not as sweet with the malt in the middle.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #17 on: 20 February 2018, 12:04:58 »
I tend to get a few caramel eggs every year, and some of the Reeses eggs to throw in the freezer (where I promptly forget about them until summer and enjoy ice-cold treats when it's a thousand degrees outside- it's not by design but it sure works!)

My thing are jelly beans. I used to love the Starburst ones, but the recipe changed and they're pretty craptastic now. So, I stick to my Costco-size bin of Jelly Bellys instead. (For those who have never seen my workbench, there's Battletech miniatures, Star Trek Attack Wing miniatures, paint bottles, and a big thing of Jelly Bellys on it at all times, with some awful punk music of some sort coming from the speakers generally)

Side note, as far as chocolate goes... I sent the box of pecan praline things the better half loves to her, along with some Hershey caramels and such, for Valentine's Day (we don't celebrate it, she hates the concept, so no jewelry or flowers or any of that- just some chocolate, because that's always welcome still). She was pleased. My MOM, however, adores her, and sent her a big box from a chocolatier near my parents' place full of homemade Junior Mints, toffee, etc.- so the call I got a few nights ago from my sweetheart was to say 'Your mom is now my favorite member of your family, followed by their cat, then you.'
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+