Author Topic: MML3, valuable or too small?  (Read 10105 times)

doulos05

• Warrant Officer
Re: MML3, valuable or too small?
« Reply #30 on: 10 May 2011, 23:28:48 »
Hrm, how do variable skill levels affect that? I would think more skilled pilots would want more shots, since their skill cannot affect the cluster table. Then again, I also doubt the impact would be that great.
I mean, it's not like once you having something in low Earth orbit you can stick a gassy astronaut on the outside after Chili Night and fart it anywhere in the solar system.

rlbell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 11 May 2011, 11:44:22 »
Hrm, how do variable skill levels affect that? I would think more skilled pilots would want more shots, since their skill cannot affect the cluster table. Then again, I also doubt the impact would be that great.

While the probability of both twenties hitting is larger with better pilots, the chance of missing with at least one stays a non-zero number and missing with both, while small, is larger than missing with all of the smaller launchers.  The expected damage from firing LRM's increases with better gunners, but it affects all LRM launchers by the same ammount.  I first figured it out looking at IS PPC's.  The LPPC, PPC, and HPPC all have identical range brackets, identical dammage to heat ratios, and nearly identical damage to mass ratios.  Solely in terms of expected damage (ignoring crit seeking and headcapping) there is almost nothing to distinguish between 6xLPPC's, 3xPPC's, or 2xHPPC's.
Q: Why are children so cute?
A: So parents do not kill them.

That joke usually divides the room into two groups:  those that are mortally offended, and parents

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #32 on: 12 May 2011, 23:37:00 »
As someone mentioned the odds of hitting the 20 point hit and forcing the PSR is better w/ just a single LRM20 rack.
4 LRM5's ALL need to role 11-12 at the same time, which over a 1 in 20,000 chance or so.
And that is assuming they all hit in the same turn, which is unlikely.
Meanwhile the LRM20 will force the PSR one in 12 hits.
The average damage will be the same over time but the spikes to hit a PSR is MUCH more common w/ a single LRM20 rack v/s split 5 racks.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #33 on: 13 May 2011, 08:54:58 »
I never played with the intention of causing PSRs with a single LRM20 rack. You need to get to the 40 missile point to get a regular chance at forcing the PSR. It's for that reason that I consider LRMs to be sandblasters rather than hole punchers.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
« Reply #34 on: 13 May 2011, 10:09:22 »
The five-point hits also serve to reinforce that.
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #35 on: 13 May 2011, 14:51:19 »
I never played with the intention of causing PSRs with a single LRM20 rack. You need to get to the 40 missile point to get a regular chance at forcing the PSR. It's for that reason that I consider LRMs to be sandblasters rather than hole punchers.

Agreed, well, w/ 5 point hits they are nicely in the middle like a ML boat.
But yes, more crit seeking that hole-punching.
I was just pointing out the PSR reliability is better w/ a single rack.
Though, I am now pondering what units out there only use a single LRM20 in 3025.
Atm I can think of the 3025 Hunter Light Tank & that's it, till the 3050 Griffins/Shadowhawk/Charger come along.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 13 May 2011, 15:08:53 »

Agreed, well, w/ 5 point hits they are nicely in the middle like a ML boat.
Though, I am now pondering what units out there only use a single LRM20 in 3025.
Atm I can think of the 3025 Hunter Light Tank & that's it, till the 3050 Griffins/Shadowhawk/Charger come along.

Well, there's the Atlas... :D

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #37 on: 13 May 2011, 15:33:17 »

I don't see it as a crit seeker either. To me a crit seeker is a weapon that will take advantage of exposed holes in the armor. Unless you're using LRMs to backstop ERPPCs, Gauss Rifles and Clan Large Pulse Lasers you're probably not going to use them in that role. More than likely you're using them to bombard the targets initially and soften them up.

In a discussion about absolutes, yes. You can force a PSR with a single LRM20 rack than a quartet of LRM5s. With the inherent unreliable nature of missiles strikes, even your best chance still isn't a good chance.

All units below have a Succession Wars or Star League introduction date, all are build with Intro-level technology:

'Mechs:
CGR-1A9 Charger
HGN-733 Highlander
HGN-733C Highlander
HGN-733P Highlander
AS7-D Atlas
AS7-D-DC Atlas

Aerospace Fighters:
LCF-R15 Lucifer
LCF-R16K Lucifer II
SL-17 Shilone
SL-17R Shilone
STU-K5 Stuka
STU-K10 Stuka
STU-K15 Stuka

Vehicles:
Hunter Light Support Tank (as you indicated), as well as its (Ammo) variant
Bulldog Medium Tank (LRM) variant
Sturmfeur Heavy Tank (SRM) variant
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

Register