Author Topic: Converting Quick-strike Damage back to Total Warfare?  (Read 3060 times)

Wereferret

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
Converting Quick-strike Damage back to Total Warfare?
« on: 30 April 2011, 10:44:03 »
We're running the Starterbook: Sword and Dragon campaign, which uses the Chaos Campaign rules, and generally running it with the regular Total Warfare rules.  Some of the larger battles we may run using Quick Strike both for time and to introduce the ruleset.  My question is, since tracking damage for individual mechs is important from battle to battle in terms of spending warchest points, how would you convert QS damage back to TW damage to apply to the primary record sheet for the mech?  Just divide the total number of structure and armor points by the number of points on the QS card and check off that number of hits on the main record sheet after the battle, maybe rolling some groupings on the hit location table?  I'm sure I can figure something out, just curious if anyone's run into this before and come up with a solution.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: Converting Quick-strike Damage back to Total Warfare?
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2011, 11:40:52 »
We're running the Starterbook: Sword and Dragon campaign, which uses the Chaos Campaign rules, and generally running it with the regular Total Warfare rules.  Some of the larger battles we may run using Quick Strike both for time and to introduce the ruleset.  My question is, since tracking damage for individual mechs is important from battle to battle in terms of spending warchest points, how would you convert QS damage back to TW damage to apply to the primary record sheet for the mech?  Just divide the total number of structure and armor points by the number of points on the QS card and check off that number of hits on the main record sheet after the battle, maybe rolling some groupings on the hit location table?  I'm sure I can figure something out, just curious if anyone's run into this before and come up with a solution.

One thing to remember is QS rules power up a mechs firepower by over 3X as much compared to armor.

Personally I would not use QS for any kind of campaign tracking because the units just get toasted WAY too fast.

That said, if I was to try a conversion the very 1st thing I would do is give each mech 3X the IS & Armor that QS normal gives it.
Then from there you can at least wage a game w/ a more reasonable ability to retreat b4 being cored.

As for transferring the damage back to CBT for salvage, I would just record the damage the QS unit took and then x10 it and re-roll it on the BT record sheet.  That is of course if your being "accurate".
For simplicity you can just use the larger IS/Armor and as long as you retreat before the mech is KO you declare the % of Armor/IS checked off as the same % of total Armor/IS points in CBT scale and repair that.  Crits should transfer over fairly cleanly.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Wereferret

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2011, 08:20:29 »
That helps a lot, thanks!  I wasn't aware that the weapons were overpowered 3x relative to armor in QS, but I've only played it a couple times and thinking back on it that kinda makes sense. 

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2011, 14:02:02 »
Neather was I; In fact, I've got a buddy whom things BattleForce damage translates back into HO Scale the normal game at a rate that's 20% too high: How'd you get "x3"? ???
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2011, 14:17:15 »
Neather was I; In fact, I've got a buddy whom things BattleForce damage translates back into HO Scale the normal game at a rate that's 20% too high: How'd you get "x3"? ???

When converting units to battleforce, Armor is divided by 30.  Damage by 10. 
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2011, 15:30:29 »
Exactly sir.

Its actually even more since damage fractions round up and armor rounds down.

Last QS I played introduced me to the fun of an Ostscout-7J (L1 version) hitting you for 2 (Twenty CBT scale damage in your rear arc by QS rules)
Who knew Ostscouts secretly mounted AC60's right ?!?!?!?!
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

doulos05

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2011, 18:58:29 »
I think that's a function of the fact that armor is applied evenly over the whole unit whereas damage is applied in large chucks to discrete sections. It's not that uncommon for BT units to start losing functionality (taking Internal hits and criticals) well before they've lost 1/3 of their armor. If a unit is QS-destroyed, just roll the damage anyway and if nothing mission-critical comes up, assume the pilot panicked and punched out rather than losing you a multi-million C-Bill piece of machinery.
I mean, it's not like once you having something in low Earth orbit you can stick a gassy astronaut on the outside after Chili Night and fart it anywhere in the solar system.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2011, 20:01:19 »
I think that's a function of the fact that armor is applied evenly over the whole unit whereas damage is applied in large chucks to discrete sections. It's not that uncommon for BT units to start losing functionality (taking Internal hits and criticals) well before they've lost 1/3 of their armor. If a unit is QS-destroyed, just roll the damage anyway and if nothing mission-critical comes up, assume the pilot panicked and punched out rather than losing you a multi-million C-Bill piece of machinery.

Or that Battleforce hexes are 3x normal size and the turns are three times as long.  Ie. In one BF turn you're firing three BattleTech turnaround worth of weapons.
Or they just wanted things to explode faster.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

doulos05

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2011, 20:05:25 »
Or that Battleforce hexes are 3x normal size and the turns are three times as long.  Ie. In one BF turn you're firing three BattleTech turnaround worth of weapons.
Or they just wanted things to explode faster.
Hey, Hey! Don't cloud the issue with pertinent facts! This is an internet forum, not an avenue for reasonable discussions of the facts!
I mean, it's not like once you having something in low Earth orbit you can stick a gassy astronaut on the outside after Chili Night and fart it anywhere in the solar system.