Author Topic: Livens Large Gallery Flame Projector  (Read 4820 times)

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
Livens Large Gallery Flame Projector
« on: 06 May 2011, 07:25:41 »
Watched the Time Team Special on the Livens Large Gallery Flame Projector again

In case you've never heard of it, and I'd be surprised if you had, here is a bit about it:

http://en.historial.org/content/view/full/21046

In CBT terms say 3t weight, 3 hex range, adds 3D6 heat to a Mech and has 3 shots

If nothing else, a 100 metre long jet of flame appearing from nowhere out of the ground might make you a little nervous
« Last Edit: 06 May 2011, 07:27:50 by DaveMac »
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
Re: Livens Large Gallery Flame Projector
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2011, 13:20:01 »
I would say cool, but it is hot.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2011, 21:44:30 »

3D6 heat is a *bit much* considering that standing inside a forest fire in full conflagration only adds five...  ::)
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2011, 10:22:09 »
Yes, it's really easy to over-estimate the effect of RL weapons in Battletech.  In fact, if you just said that this thing was equivalent to a mech flamer, that probably feels about right, despite the fact that this is just burning oil, and not a fire from the depths of a fusion reactor ;)

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2011, 02:30:33 »
3D6 heat is a *bit much* considering that standing inside a forest fire in full conflagration only adds five...  ::)

Good point  ;D
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

rlbell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2011, 14:01:05 »
Yes, it's really easy to over-estimate the effect of RL weapons in Battletech.  In fact, if you just said that this thing was equivalent to a mech flamer, that probably feels about right, despite the fact that this is just burning oil, and not a fire from the depths of a fusion reactor ;)

One of the things that always bugs me is the contradiction between 'fusion reactors cannot explode when the plasma is vented in an uncontrolled fashion' and 'jumpjets and mech flamers work by venting fusion reactor plasma'.  That contradiction sums up why I ignore fluff and just play the game.

Obligatory useless trivia:

At ten billion degrees, a gram of hydrogen plasma has a thermal energy of about a gigajoule, or nearly a ton of TNT.  Assuming that at those temperatures, fusion is a billion times as powerful as the conditions at the core of the sun, that gram of plasma will have a thermal output of 7.5 kWatts (the rest being lost as neutrinos).  Given the energies attributed lasers and gauss rifles and the ability to fire them every ten seconds, the rupturing of a fusion reactor really should approach Halifax blast proportions.  As conversion efficiencies will be less than 100%, the contained energies will be larger.
Q: Why are children so cute?
A: So parents do not kill them.

That joke usually divides the room into two groups:  those that are mortally offended, and parents

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2011, 03:51:48 »
One of the things that always bugs me is the contradiction between 'fusion reactors cannot explode when the plasma is vented in an uncontrolled fashion' and 'jumpjets and mech flamers work by venting fusion reactor plasma'.  That contradiction sums up why I ignore fluff and just play the game.

Obligatory useless trivia:

At ten billion degrees, a gram of hydrogen plasma has a thermal energy of about a gigajoule, or nearly a ton of TNT.  Assuming that at those temperatures, fusion is a billion times as powerful as the conditions at the core of the sun, that gram of plasma will have a thermal output of 7.5 kWatts (the rest being lost as neutrinos).  Given the energies attributed lasers and gauss rifles and the ability to fire them every ten seconds, the rupturing of a fusion reactor really should approach Halifax blast proportions.  As conversion efficiencies will be less than 100%, the contained energies will be larger.
I came to the same conclusion looking at it from just a rule perspective.

Consider:

1) A mech energy weapons doesn't use any capacitators worth notice. They are thus powered directly by the reactor.

2) Said reactor can easily power 50+ points of damage to a distant target.

3) From the reactor to the target you have massive losses, first when you extract energy from the reactor, then when you power the weapon, and finally when you dump the energy from the weapon to the target. Being extremely optimistic that's at least 90% losses along the way.

4) Conclusion: At any instant the reactor puts out easily 500 points of damage! You think a ton of MG ammo in the CT is bad? Better hope the emergency systems manage to vent the plasma before the containment fails!