Author Topic: Escalating Alpha Strike campaign  (Read 1531 times)

Papabees

• Lieutenant
Escalating Alpha Strike campaign
« on: 22 March 2018, 19:39:01 »
So I have some new players that want to try the game and I thought I'd put together a series of escalating engagements with the idea of slowly introducing them to the rules through the "story" of the campaign. FREX, in scenario one maybe their company of mechs has to establish a beach head to secure the dropzone. They would be fighting a militia force comprised of mostly tanks and such with maybe a lance of mechs. Scenario two, they have what is repairable of their company plus a contingent of infantry and they need to capture a small heliport. This introduces Infantry. Scenario three, after capturing the Heliport they now have a few VTOL to use and maybe go after some artillery peices that they can then use on the next mission. Etc. Etc.

Has anyone else done anything like this? Would anyone be interested in putting something together as a community? Sort of an Alpha Strike Primer for lack of a better term.   

Xochi

• Sergeant
  • Three strengths he gave us.
Re: Escalating Alpha Strike campaign
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2018, 22:34:48 »
The question is how do you want to introduce rulesets. You have Basic, Standard and Advanced. Each one effects mechs as well as all the other assests. You may want to instead of giving them new types of units, expand what the mechs can do and use their abilities.

Papabees

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2018, 07:27:28 »
Actually my intention is to establish the frame work of rules we are going to use ahead of time and let units operate under those rules from the beginning. I'll likely limit the use of the more advanced rules by the types of units chosen for their forces. So I suppose my first step is to decide which rules are in and which are out.

DarkJaguar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2018, 20:41:30 »
Actually my intention is to establish the frame work of rules we are going to use ahead of time and let units operate under those rules from the beginning. I'll likely limit the use of the more advanced rules by the types of units chosen for their forces. So I suppose my first step is to decide which rules are in and which are out.

We could send you our rules list, but it's basically "Everything but the Stackpole" XD

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2018, 23:26:28 »
My golden demo rule is that new people want to know two things:
  • What faction comes in my favorite color.
  • How do I kill things with my stompy robot.

Everything else can wait until they get hooked.
"New players, regardless of age, need to know two things about a wargame. How to blow stuff up and what faction is painted in his favorite color. All the rest can come later when they are hooked." -- A.G.
"But the problem is that it seems to have been made by someone who equates complication with complexity, and that just ain't so." -- iamfanboy

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2018, 00:39:44 »
 :thumbsup:
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

The Wayfarer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 25 March 2018, 13:04:08 »
Sir,

The Alpha Strike rulebook has a good introductory campaign starting on page 121.  It uses the Warchest system but can easily accommodate the narrative and instructional elements you’re looking for without much effort.

Mike
Revelations 6:8. And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.