Author Topic: A few questions on SPA's, Infantry and General Clarifications  (Read 1444 times)

Xochi

• Sergeant
  • Three strengths he gave us.
Hi All,

I just enjoyed a 1180 point game with some friends and had a few questions come up within the group. As a host I want to ensure I can clarify rules my players have so forgive me for so many posts and questions.

1) A unit must use 2" of it's available movement in order to board a transport. Can this unit use the sprint advanced movement and still board as long as 2" of that total move was not used?

2) Street Fighter SPA requires the an enemy unit to attack you in order to per-preemptive strike them. Does this mean you have to always win initiative (move first, shoot first) in order to use this? The reason I ask is because it states at the end that it resolves immediately regardless of initiative.

3) Calvary/Striker Lance states that 75% of your unit receives the Speed Demon SPA. If a unit is destroyed that has that SPA currently assigned but your still meet the formation rules, can you reassign that SPA to another unit in that lance? Usually the box says if you can or not, but I could not locate that in the AS:C manual.

Thanks!

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: A few questions on SPA's, Infantry and General Clarifications
« Reply #1 on: 01 April 2018, 13:04:24 »
Unless it says it is assigned during play (beginning of turn), there’s no reassigning during game play. Those are set during Setup and don’t change.

The other two I would need to look up, don’t recall the wording on sprinting and street fighter.
« Last Edit: 01 April 2018, 13:12:29 by nckestrel »
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 01 April 2018, 13:04:46 »
1) Yes.  There is no restriction on what the extra movement for Sprinting can be used for.

2) Can you post the exact text of Street Fighter?  Sometimes there are small indicators that can clue you in one way or another, but without seeing those then RAW I'd say that's correct.  Incidentally, winning initiative means moving second and shooting second, not first.

3) You cannot.  The timing from formation-based SPAs are implicit from the descriptions.  Something like Fire or Assault Lances can reassign SPAs as necessary to take into consideration losses (assign at the beginning of the turn).  Something like Cavalry/Striker assigns SPAs at the beginning of the game, and offers no alternative or way to reassign them.  If you lose the unit you lose that SPA for the duration.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Xochi

• Sergeant
  • Three strengths he gave us.
« Reply #3 on: 01 April 2018, 13:15:54 »
Street Fighter
Unit Type: BM, IM, PM
SPA Cost: 2 points
This unit is able to deliver physical attacks with such blinding
speed that it can essentially pre-empt those of an opposing unit
once it gets close enough. If an opponent in base contact with the
Street Fighter’s unit attempts to make an attack before the Street
Fighter has resolved his own, the Street Fighter may attempt a
special “preemptive strike” of his own against that opponent.
This preemptive strike receives a +1 to-hit modifier, and
effectively counts as the Street Fighter unit’s weapon and physical
attack for the turn. If successful, the preemptive strike delivers
damage equal to the Street Fighter unit’s Short range attack
value, plus its normal physical attack damage (including any extra damage provided by a MEL or TSM special ability)—in a single
volley. All damage effects from a Street Fighter’s preemptive
strike must be determined before the opponent’s attack
against the Street Fighter are resolved. Thus, it is possible in
this way for a Street Fighter to cripple or destroy his opponent
before it can even land its blow…regardless of Initiative order.

That is the full text. Thanks for the clarifications so far. I appreciate it.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 01 April 2018, 13:46:34 »
Then yes, you could only use that when you won initiative.  Combat Intuition has a similar restriction to only being able to be used when initiative has been won, but is more explicitly spelled out.

EDIT: Funnily enough, RAW, you can only use it after the enemy you want to Street Fight has declared its target.  If the unit in question declines to attack, then Street Fighter will not trigger.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.