Author Topic: Converting other miniature games to Alpha Strike  (Read 1701 times)

LegoMech

• Private
Converting other miniature games to Alpha Strike
« on: 03 September 2019, 23:09:11 »
I've been playing a decent amount of Alpha Strike lately, and I really love how quickly the games play and how simple the math for combat resolution is. I play standard rules using 3025 era ground units (no aerospace) by default so that may also be a factor. The down side is that the units tend to feel very similar, so we've been using custom pilots to give the units more character. They have some abilities that are inspired by legal SPAs, but we often think up crazy ones, like the pilot with a high base skill but also an ability that says she can never have a final modified target number higher than 10. So she's great at long shots but misses the easy stuff...

In an effort to think of more wacky pilot abilities I wound up looking at my collection of other games and miniatures I have, and suddenly thought, "What if I tried playing that using Alpha Strike rules?"

Next thing you know four hours have passed and I've half-written a conversion guide for playing Mutant Chronicles Warzone 1st edition with Alpha Strike rules. I actually was shocked how freaking easy and simple it was to add rules for Supernatural powers while maintaining the feel of the core AS mechanics.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else had ever had a similar idea and how it worked out.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
Re: Converting other miniature games to Alpha Strike
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2019, 17:37:02 »
I would wait till the mechwarrior cards from the KS come out to see if they meet your needs before going all in on a conversion.

Descronan

• Master Sergeant
  • "No multi-pass."
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2019, 17:48:30 »
You might be interested in The Immortal Wars. Its a free game available on DriveThruRPG. It has a lot of abilities similar to Alpha Strike but for monsters.

LegoMech

• Private
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2019, 23:20:16 »
You might be interested in The Immortal Wars. Its a free game available on DriveThruRPG. It has a lot of abilities similar to Alpha Strike but for monsters.

Thanks, I'll check it out!  In the meantime, my houserules to use Alpha Strike with minis from my other games have been coming along nicely - I just need to do a bunch of test runs to make sure they work well in practice.

LegoMech

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2019, 23:41:12 »
Okay, I downloaded and looked over Immortal Wars. It's very different than I had in mind, because it still focuses on vehicular scaled combat. I did think it was interesting that we both adjusted the range brackets, although in different ways. I'm going to keep working on my own conversion, but thanks for the recommendation!