Author Topic: AS Commander's Edition - Rule changes  (Read 1851 times)

Descronan

• Master Sergeant
  • "No multi-pass."
AS Commander's Edition - Rule changes
« on: 15 October 2019, 08:23:44 »
Played through a quick game yesterday to make sure we had all of the changes to the rules figured out. I'm hoping to get a glimpse at other rule changes I haven't found yet.

Evasion - Unless I'm blind, it looks like evasion has been removed. I'm curious why.

Roll of 12 = Critical Hit.

Heat Dissipation - External heat is applied after cooling a unit up to a maximum of 2 Heat.

Aerospace Control Rolls - After failing a control roll, you fall one elevation (long to medium, medium to short, and short to crashed)

Any other rules that you have noticed have changed since the last errata?

Crackerb0x

• CamoSpecs
  • Master Sergeant
  • Alpha Strike Apologist
Re: AS Commander's Edition - Rule changes
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2019, 08:47:58 »
I believe this thread prettty much condenses everything you're looking for down into one spot, by the sound of it.

Commanders Edition - What's in it?
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=65937.0

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 15 October 2019, 09:49:07 »
Evasion was removed because generally speaking it made things with TMM greater than +3 literally unhittable any anything short of skill 1 and 2 pilots at anything beyond short range.  This presents some serious and significant balance issues when several of the suggested mission types rely on getting units off the board edge, especially since many of the direct counters to that kind of unit (artillery) will frequently have trouble putting enough damage on multiple of such units quickly enough for it to matter unless you bring entirely too much of it.

Normally if it were edge enough case that might still be left alone, but it was entirely possible to just kind of stumble into fielding a force that prevented the game from being played unless your opponent sold out to hard-counter, and that's not a good place to be in for a game.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Descronan

• Master Sergeant
  • "No multi-pass."
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2019, 08:22:31 »
I thought the modifiers were rather high. A +3 evasion for a standard pilot was a bit much. One of my favorite mechs is the Hermes with MASC that gets TMM 4 or the Peregrine VTOL with TMM 4 + 1 airborne. These glass cannons can only survive if they make use of solid cover or evade.

But really, the problem was the high TMM.

With the reduction of cover and woods modifiers to +1, evasion of +2 for a standard pilot makes sense. Also, having an SPA or lance ability for scouts or recon units makes sense. Its a shame that this tactical option has been removed from the game IMO.

Oh well... that's what house rules are for.

Register