Author Topic: Multi-Role Armored Vehicle (MRAV)  (Read 2842 times)

misterpants

• Warrant Officer
  • Bringing you the beats and grooves of Xin Sheng
Multi-Role Armored Vehicle (MRAV)
« on: 05 February 2011, 02:08:51 »
Taking the 50 ton ICE tank all over the place. Pretty sure everyone else has done this already, but *shrugs*

Yes, I know the formatting is horrid, but I did these by spreadsheet, and after fighting it for a couple hours, I'm ready to say the forum's formatting can go **** itself.

Code: [Select]
Type/Model: Multi-Role Armored Vehicle (MRAV)
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Tech Level: Tourney Legal
Config: Tracked

Mass:       50 tons
Power Plant:   Various
Cruise Speed:   Varies
Maximum Speed:   Varies
Armor Type:   Ferro-Fibrous, Various mfg.
Armament:
   Various
Manufacturer:   Various (licensed by Quikscell Company)
Communications System:   Various
Targeting & Tracking System:   Various

Overview:
      The long and twisted history of the Multi-Role Armored Vehicle (MRAV), started in 3053. The
invasion of the Clans and the modular advantages of their Omnimechs triggered an arms race to adapt
Omni-pod technology across the Inner Sphere. Quikscell Company, not wanting to be left out of this
potential market, authorized its own aggressive R&D program for Omnivehicles. In classic Quikscell
fashion, the program started out with two freshly graduated engineering students, a purchasing clerk
who refused to sleep with a Quikscell board member, a homeless War of 3039 ex-armor officer who
was a squatter in the warehouse assigned as the project office, and a blow-up doll. After a round of
sighs and facepalms, the team nevertheless approached the project with as much enthusiasm and
practicality they could muster, their appointment of the blow-up doll as project manager
notwithstanding. (This later made Forbes' Top 10 List of "Best Entreprenurial Ideas of the 3050s").

After over a year of work (and several more of misadventures written up as work), the team
presented their progress to the Quikscell board; namely, none. This came as a surprise to the directors,
solely due to them forgetting the project even existed. Before they could break for their Awesome lunch
( 3 PPCs, Marik style), the team interrupted. While they had failed to reproduce Omni-pod technology,
they instead had managed to come up with a cheap and inexpensive modular armored vehicle design.
While not capable of switching weapons or equipment on the fly like a true Omnivehicle, the design
could be adapted to any of multiple configurations for the fraction of the cost of buying another unique
vehicle. As an added logistical benefit, part commonality between all the variants made a force
composed of the vehicle attractive.

While initially interested, the board backed down when presented with the retooling and facility
expansion costs. The team had a single-word response: "Licensing." For a small fee, Quikscell would
license blueprints to any prospective manufacturer, with about as much effort as it took to make the
sales pitch and sign a contract. For companies or worlds willing to shell out for more advanced
weapons, Quikscell would act as an intermediary between the customer and other weapon
manufacturers. As predicted, Quikscell took the plan and ran with it, thanked the team for their efforts,
and promptly shuffled them off to another office. (The team had the last laugh though, but that is
another story.)

The MRAV design made Quikscell a tidy profit, and the vehicle started popping up on worlds
all around the Inner Sphere. The ease of construction and simplicty of the vehicle made it popular on
many resource-poor worlds in need of a flexible military force. Hundreds of small-scale machine shops
and industrial garages on scores of worlds cranked out companies and battalions in dozens of
configurations.

Capabilities:

The core of the MRAV concept is a universal armored and tracked chassis. The frame is
wrapped in almost seven tons of ferro-fibrous armor. In the beginning, this was exclusively Lexington
High Grade from Quikscell's Oliver plant, but as demand rose, Quikscell could not keep up with
demand, and clients simply went elsewhere for armor. The engine bay, fittings, and power train was
designed to handle one of three engine ratings. The engines were all internal combustion, as it was not
expected that the MRAV's target audience could afford fusion engines. CASE was installed standard as
a byproduct, as this limited the MRAV to mostly ammunition-dependent weapons.

The MRAV could take one of two turret frames: a "heavy" turret with two tons of ferro fibrous
armor and able to handle up to fifteen tons of payloads, and a "light" turret with one and a half tons of
protection and maxed out at ten tons of equipment. Electronics, weapons, and the engine are usually
manufactured locally, with more wealthy planets importing more advanced firepower from offworld.
While the possible configurations and loadouts are endless, there are several common trends.
The most common is the "MBT" line, powered by a 200-rated ICE engine and mounting a heavy turret,
usually armed with some kind of autocannon and secondary anti-personnel weapon(s). Coming in
second is the "TD" or tank-destroyer line, using the same engine but eschewing the turret in exchange
for a singular heavy weapon mounted in the front.

Some MRAV configurations serve as artillery or weapon carriers, almost always using a lighter
150-rated engine to carry the heavier ordnance. The most uncommon MRAV models used a 250-rated
engine, but the large engine prevented the use of heavier weapons. These were most successfully used
as armored personnel carriers, although several cavalry models existed.

Base Chassis:

Mass

Cockpit and Controls: 2.5
Internal Structure: 5
Armor: Ferro Fibrous 6.5 AV - 116
CASE: 0.5

Front: 35
L/R:         30
Rear: 21

Total: 14.5
Heavy Turret:
                                            Mass
Turret:                        1.5
Armor: Ferro Fibrous  2         AV - 35

Total:                         3.5

Light Turret:
                                           Mass
Turret:                       1
Armor: Ferro Fibrous  1.5         AV - 26

Total:                          2.5

MRAV MBT
Type: Rating: Mass
Engine:
I.C.E. 200 17
Cruise MP: 4
Flank MP: 6

Equipment: Location: Mass

Heavy Turret 3.5
AC-10 Turret 12
@AC-10 (20) Body 2
Machine Gun Front 0.5
@Machine Gun (100) Body 0.5
MRAV MBT-LBX
Engine:
I.C.E. 200 17

Heavy Turret 3.5
LB-10X AC Turret 11
@LB-10X (20) Body 2
Machine Gun Front 0.5
Machine Gun Turret 0.5
Machine Gun Rear 0.5
MRAV MBT-LGR
Engine:
I.C.E. 200 17

Heavy Turret 3.5
Light Gauss Rifle Turret 12
@Light Gauss Rifle(32) Body 2
Machine Gun Turret 0.5
MRAV LRM
Engine:
I.C.E. 200 17

Heavy Turret 3.5
LRM-20 Turret 10
@LRM-20(18) Body 3
Vehicle Flamer Turret 0.5
@Vehicle Flamer(20) Body 1
MRAV Sniper
Engine:
I.C.E. 150 11
Cruise MP: 3
Flank MP: 5

Sniper Artillery Piece Front 20
@Sniper(30) Body 3
Anti Missile System Front 0.5
@AMS(12) Body 1
MRAV SRM Carrier
Engine:
I.C.E. 150 11
Cruise MP: 3
Flank MP: 5

Heavy Turret 3.5
SRM-6 x 5 Turret 15
@SRM-6(60) Body 4
Machine Gun Left 0.5
Machine Gun Right 0.5
Machine Gun Rear 0.5
@Machine Gun(100) Body 0.5
MRAV TD
Engine:
I.C.E. 200 17

AC-20 Front 14
@AC-20(15) Body 3
Machine Gun Left 0.5
Machine Gun Right 0.5
MRAV TD-GR
Engine:
I.C.E. 200 17

Gauss Rifle Front 15
@Gauss Rifle(16) Body 2
Machine Gun Left 0.5
Machine Gun Right 0.5
MRAV APC
Engine:
I.C.E. 250 25
Cruise MP: 5
Flank MP: 8

Infantry Bay Body 8
Machine Gun Front 0.5
Machine Gun Left 0.5
Machine Gun Right 0.5
Machine Gun Rear 0.5
MRAV CAV
Engine:
I.C.E. 250 25
Cruise MP: 5
Flank MP: 8

Light Turret 2.5
MML-9 Turret 6
@MML-9 SRM(11) Body 1
@MML-9 LRM(13) Body 1

mathesont

• Lieutenant
Re: Multi-Role Armored Vehicle (MRAV)
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2011, 02:16:17 »
Solid.  I would probably go with more LRMs on a 3/5 chassis and fewer SRMs on a 4/6.  Maybe a IFV with a LAC5 and smaller troop bay.

Register