Author Topic: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz  (Read 157535 times)

Kidd

• Major
Re: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz
« Reply #1110 on: 25 July 2019, 12:25:24 »
Your Name and John Wick 3

Your Name was delightful, good storytelling, well paced, typically Japanese stuff. It didn't resonate much with anything other than a rather typical millennial/Gen Z vibe of finding where one belongs, but like with many anime movies it was technically flawless in many areas. 8/10, would watch again.

I preferred John Wick 2 over 3, even though this movie does leave me eager for the next installment. The fight scenes felt a touch less dynamic compared to the first two, I wonder if they changed fight coordinators...? And the plot... didn't quite get it. Everything went as expected until the scene with the Elder. So here, John has two choices ultimately; kill Winston and continue working for the High Table, or take the fight to the High Table and Elder both. The conflict and flip between the two choices felt too rushed. John should have had more time to reflect on the choice between the two, instead we just got more fight scenes and with the same guy even. So this part felt meaningless.

Now, having decided to team up with Winston against the High Table, I expected John to kill the Adjudicator. Leaving her alive probably serves the plot somehow, but is really not what you expect from John "I killed a High Table in a Continental, come at me bro" Wick. It'll be interesting to see where this goes next, but JW3 was a bit of a let down from JW2.

7/10 but would not watch again, fight scenes too interminable.

Blade Runner 2049

In a word, cyberpunk

Specifically, detective noir set against a dystopian backdrop of evil megacorporations, zero governance and judicial review, advanced technology, cultural melting pots and cyborgs

2049, like the original, underscores the point by asking just what it means to be human in the midst of all this confusion and conflict, but has a different answer

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1111 on: 25 July 2019, 22:16:30 »
Just got back from seeing Yesterday.  I really enjoyed it.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pimpin' Mopar Goodness since the Dawn of Time
« Reply #1112 on: 01 August 2019, 11:50:01 »
Rewatched "Uncle Buck" the other night

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #1113 on: 05 August 2019, 23:11:27 »
Time After Time.  Notable for Malcolm McDowell as the hero rather than the villain (who was David Warner).

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1114 on: 05 August 2019, 23:18:13 »
Did a re-watch of The Time Machine, the one with Jeremmy Irons as the lead Morlock.  Still holds up nicely.
Then caught Shazam finally.   Couldn't stop laughing..
Though i do wonder.. HE did all that "lightening from the hand" stuff, just for fun/cash, but not once did we see him use it in that final fight?  I wonder why!?
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1115 on: 06 August 2019, 00:02:25 »
They hit the limit on the special effects budget.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1116 on: 06 August 2019, 03:27:10 »
Did a re-watch of The Time Machine, the one with Jeremmy Irons as the lead Morlock.  Still holds up nicely.
Then caught Shazam finally.   Couldn't stop laughing..
Though i do wonder.. HE did all that "lightening from the hand" stuff, just for fun/cash, but not once did we see him use it in that final fight?  I wonder why!?

He did it in the final battle, the two of them shot large bolts of lightning at each other.

After that there wasn't really much point as it didn't meet his strategic aim. He didn't want to kill Sivana, just get rid of the sins.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1117 on: 08 August 2019, 04:20:16 »
What happens when you have a bigger CGI budget than sense? Hellboy (2019).

Milla Jovovich, Ian McShane, even Daniel Dae Kim try their best but all the gravitas and conviction in the world can't save hackneyed, flat and predictable dialogue - interspersed with a million pointless jump cuts.

Nothing will ever beat the Ron Perlman Hellboys for heart. Whereas Hellboy 2019 thinks "heart" is nothing but a fleshy organ to be torn open onscreen like an edgy, gothy, pathetic cry for attention.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #1118 on: 14 August 2019, 01:13:59 »
Your Name was delightful, good storytelling, well paced, typically Japanese stuff. It didn't resonate much with anything other than a rather typical millennial/Gen Z vibe of finding where one belongs, but like with many anime movies it was technically flawless in many areas. 8/10, would watch again.

Yes, I thought that one was well-crafted, even if aimed at a demographic way, way, waaay younger than I am.

I just watched the director's follow-up, "Tenki no ko" (English title: Weathering with You), which I thought was again technically impressive but feels like more of the same: Teenage boy-meets-girl in magical-realism Tokyo. The CG and music were a bit more intrusive this time, and the story a bit flabbier, but the depiction of Tokyo is startlingly realistic for an animated movie (though the product & brand placement really smacks you in the head this time). More of a 6/10 this time around.

I wonder how well the new one will translate, as the key conceit this time revolves around the idea of someone being a "hare onna/otoko" or "ame onna/otoko" -- the idea there are some people who always seem to cause good/bad weather wherever they go.

2049, like the original, underscores the point by asking just what it means to be human in the midst of all this confusion and conflict, but has a different answer

The most interesting thread for me was the character of Joi, in that she takes the metaphor/question one step further--not only what is the difference between real and artificial human, but what is the difference between real and virtual? What does it say about humanity when we have even outsourced love and affection to the digital world?
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1119 on: 14 August 2019, 13:11:47 »

I just watched the director's follow-up, "Tenki no ko" (English title: Weathering with You), which I thought was again technically impressive but feels like more of the same: Teenage boy-meets-girl in magical-realism Tokyo. The CG and music were a bit more intrusive this time, and the story a bit flabbier, but the depiction of Tokyo is startlingly realistic for an animated movie (though the product & brand placement really smacks you in the head this time). More of a 6/10 this time around.
I'll try to find that one, I like movies set in Tokyo*, and I'm not that old to be entirely appreciative of that kind of plot yet!

*which started when I was much younger and watched my first foreign language film, a 2007 movie named Adrift In Tokyo. Heard of it?

The most interesting thread for me was the character of Joi, in that she takes the metaphor/question one step further--not only what is the difference between real and artificial human, but what is the difference between real and virtual? What does it say about humanity when we have even outsourced love and affection to the digital world?
I think the character of Joi was inspired in 3 ways, and not just because Ana de Armas looks great! :D

First, obviously audiences of BR2049 would be much more accepting of android-humanity compared to BR1, especially with the conception revelation. So take it to the next level... what about a holographic program? Somehow, for me, BR2049's virtual Joi pulls off this question much better than Westworld's robots did.

Secondly, K's desire for Joi draws a parallel - humans outsourced love lust and affection to replicant pleasure models; K in his turn outsourced to a computer program... both making use of perceived lesser non-lifeforms. In this shared vice, we see the first dim spark of humanity in an otherwise robotically-efficient replicant blade runner. (Highlighted by the dismissive hooker replicants, who were apparently disdainfully oblivious to the irony.)

Lastly... I'm a traditionalist I guess, so to me the takeaway goes back to good old John: "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." That's the ultimate impetus that brings K's belief in his humanity back after being confirmed that he is truly nothing more than a mass-produced replicant; his Joi transcended her programming to attempt to defend him to the point of self-sacrifice; K too can transcend his own to lay his life on the line for Stelline, Deckard and the replicant movement. Love is sacrifice, sacrifice is love, love is human.

Great stuff.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1120 on: 14 August 2019, 20:07:41 »
I'll try to find that one, I like movies set in Tokyo*, and I'm not that old to be entirely appreciative of that kind of plot yet!

Tenki no ko is just out here in Japan, so it may take a while to find its way into your cinemas, depending on where you live. (September-October for SE Asia, Australia & NZ, probably 2020 for North America, etc.): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering_with_You

Haven't seen Adrift in Tokyo. Honestly, I don't watch a lot of Japanese cinema. It's mostly streaming shows and movies for me these days.

Love is sacrifice, sacrifice is love, love is human.

Reminds me of the classic A. Bertram Chandler short story "The Cage" about aliens that abduct humans for display in one of their zoos, and only realize humans are sentient when they put another animal in a cage: "only intelligent creatures put other creatures in cages."

Or on a lighter note, of the Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie sketch where two businessmen discuss Fry's son, revealing that Fry was too busy and "delegated" his conjugal duties to one of his staff ... who then delegated the delegating to Laurie ... who delegated to Fry's wife ... who delegated to her son: https://www.webcitation.org/5kjLts9oQ?url=http://www.geocities.com/mmemym/bits2/fal0088.htm

in other news...

Finally got around to watching Restrepo, a documentary on the fighting in Afghanistan. Hm. Slice-of-life in the field, though I'm not sure I came away with any greater understanding of what these men went through, of the greater conflict in general or what it means for any of us.

Rewatched the Dark Crystal for the first time in decades as a warm-up to the new Netflix series. Isn't quite as scary when you're no longer a kid, but I appreciate that it has its own distinctive visual style. I especially liked the first 5-10 minutes this time, where the movie lays out the linked or dual nature of the good and bad guys.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1121 on: 14 August 2019, 20:38:40 »
Just got back from seeing Hobbs and Shaw.  By far my favorite of the franchise.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1122 on: 14 August 2019, 20:46:07 »
Anyone remember when the series was about cars?

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #1123 on: 16 August 2019, 11:04:13 »
And stealing VCRs?
#justiceforHan

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1124 on: 31 August 2019, 12:51:03 »
When Harry Met Sally
Breakfast Club

Geez, what classics.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1125 on: 01 September 2019, 03:59:32 »
Just watched Mortal Engines. Visually it was a great movie with a good Steampunk idea.....but everything else was really really bad.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #1126 on: 01 September 2019, 12:45:26 »
Ready or Not - Red Band trailer

Semi-horror, semi-comedy.  Essentially a new bride joins a wealthy family that made its money in games.  The wedding night they have a special ceremony, where the new bride pulls a card out of a box, and has to play the game to be properly accepted.

She pulls Hide & Seek.  She has to hide inside their mansion until dawn, and if she can do so, she wins.  They give her a 100 second head start.

After she leaves the room, the family picks up the ancient weapons on the walls, and once the count reaches zero, they start trying to find (and kill) her.

Think 'Most dangerous Game', but with a little Keystone Cops because the family hasn't done Hide & Seek for ~30 years

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1127 on: 01 September 2019, 14:55:38 »
Sounds like a good laugh for a film.

As for Mortal Engines, i always wondered..  WHERE THE HECK did they all get fuel/food from?? 

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1128 on: 01 September 2019, 15:18:21 »
From the 9ther cities.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1129 on: 05 September 2019, 07:46:52 »
Pops was visiting last week so we went to see Angel Has Fallen.  Which meant we needed to watch London Has Fallen the night before.

Nolte was great in Angel Has Fallen.  Banning's reaction to his father blowing up the whole dang mountain seemed a lot like most people's reaction to Banning killing everyone who's not A: POTUS or B: Mike Banning. :-)
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #1130 on: 05 September 2019, 10:42:34 »
Spoiler alert, please? That's still a new movie.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1131 on: 24 September 2019, 05:09:26 »
Saw Ad Astra. Hard SF, well shot, a bit like 2001: A Space Odyssey if it had been directed by Terrance Mallick. Makes ya think. Hmm/10

Prepped for it by watching Event Horizon, which is like Pet Sematery in space.

Followed up by watching Interstellar, which we as also supposed to be hard as SF with black holes and time dilation but ends up being about the power of love, baby. I can feel my sf softening.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1132 on: 24 September 2019, 09:34:58 »
My take on Ad Astra was that it was an attempt to make a hard scifi story by someone who neither knew nor cared about science.  So it was really a movie about Brad Pitt brooding in space.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1133 on: 24 September 2019, 10:29:51 »
Interstellar's marketing of being over 9000 mohs harder than hard scifi lead to a lot of people confidently declaring that black holes are "proven" interdimensional wormholes...

...as opposed to simply crushing you into microparticulate pulp

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1134 on: 24 September 2019, 14:39:39 »
My take on Ad Astra was that it was an attempt to make a hard scifi story by someone who neither knew nor cared about science.  So it was really a movie about Brad Pitt brooding in space.

So far of the 19 people i know of, personally that is, who've seen it.  ONLY ONE Recommends it.  The others felt it was 'meh, or BLEH'.

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #1135 on: 02 October 2019, 06:26:19 »
Ad Astra- literally one of the worst movies Ive seen this year. Lots of angsty stuff, simple plot, plot holes and terrible worldbuilding. 3/10

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1136 on: 02 October 2019, 08:44:15 »
Saw the Whole Nine Yards for the first time in years.  Perry was perfect in that movie.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1137 on: 02 October 2019, 14:25:17 »
Sounds like a good laugh for a film.

As for Mortal Engines, i always wondered..  WHERE THE HECK did they all get fuel/food from??

For some reason I like movies that nobody else likes. I did like the moving large city idea. Lots of other things were so far crazy in that movie.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1138 on: 02 October 2019, 14:48:38 »

For some reason I like movies that nobody else likes. I did like the moving large city idea. Lots of other things were so far crazy in that movie.
I blame people trying to force novels out of short story ideas, and other people trying to force series out of novels, and yet more people trying to force movies out of said novels, and then other people try to force movie series out of... you get the picture

A series of unfortunate ev bad decisions led to that crap. And they'll just try it again, all looking for the Holy Grail of a bestselling series of movies that can tap into the collective consumerist consciousness and make everyone rags-to-insane-riches rich

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1139 on: 02 October 2019, 15:36:19 »

I liked the movie, but there were lots of questions i wish had some sort of answers..